Liberty Global gets EU approval for takeover of Virgin Media
Monday 15 April 2013 12:48:25 by Andrew Ferguson

Back in mists of time (February 2013) a $15 billion takeover of Virgin Media was announced with the cable giant Liberty Global behind the deal.

Moving forward the European Commission has now announced its approval for the deal with no competition concerns raised by the takeover. This clears the way for the deal to proceed and raises the question of what plans Liberty Global has, both for moving Virgin Media forward in the broadband arena and potentially leveraging the buying power of a larger company to gain access to TV/film content.

Posted by vicdupreez over 4 years ago
Any chance they will make the footprint bigger and provide actual fibre to the home? Prolly not...
Posted by Kushan over 4 years ago
I feel this will go one of two ways, either Virgin will get a lot worse or the service will be significantly improved. Naturally, I'm hoping for the latter.
With BT, Sky, etc. actually providing some pretty stiff competition these days, in both terms of speed download limits, LibGlobal won't have much choice other than to invest in the network.
Posted by undecidedadrian over 4 years ago
The other choice that Liberty Global has is to jam a load of extra debt onto the company from the parent.

My money is on that with milking customers to pay for the extra debt.
Posted by otester over 4 years ago

Why should they?

All they have to 'look forward to' is SMP...
Posted by vicdupreez over 4 years ago
My point is what is this worth to us in the UK... I am guessing nothing, and as far as investments into the network goes, I am with undecidedadrian...
Posted by b22hinchcliffe over 4 years ago
20 years ago Virgin laid cables along the A35 two miles from my house since then nothing, and yet on average of twice a week we get mail drops, what a waste of money. I am wondering if the take over will bring Cable to my house ? BrianH22
Posted by authoriseduser545 over 4 years ago
20 years ago Virgin also laid cables near my house - about 100 feet away - and I am in central London - and I too have never been able to get cable service - they "bypassed" huge swaths of blocks of flats and even tower blocks. This was done when it was "Videotron", which became NTL, which got bought by Virgin Media. But still, I can't get Virgin to give me cable service - but we all still get the mailings from Virgin.
Posted by yodadatoka over 4 years ago
I've been looking in to Liberty Global, it seems they operate mostly under the brand UPC across Europe - when you compare their Irish offerings with their Dutch they offer a consistent 50Mb/100Mb/150Mb approach to broadband but the thing that intrigues me most is the apparent lack of line rental charges.

Anyone heard anything about them?
Posted by k_salmon over 3 years ago
20 years ago east coast cable laid cable into my road the first 4 houses on each side if the road.
east coast cable was bought by virgin like lots of people we get mail drops
after many calls to virgin they said it was not on the planing list now this was at least 5 years ago. to i called again last year and had another go at then asked if they had contacted any of the 100 or so houses in the road, after a few weeks they phoned me and said they had done a survey of the road. well i was never contacted and neither was any of my neighbours.
so take no notice of any thing they say its all lies