Opportunity to tell your broadband story
Monday 08 April 2013 18:29:54 by Andrew Ferguson

Have you grown disillusioned by the major broadband providers and found smaller operators provider a better solution, or have you reached the point where you simply don't trust providers?

If your answer is yes to either question, then we would love to hear from you, as we have some print press that are looking for people to talk to about this subject and learn more peoples reasoning behind their broadband service provider choices.

Update 10th April: Thank you for all your emails, hopefully the search is over for now. In the meantime don't forget you can share your experiences on our forums, where a good number of long term users may be able to help you, even when your broadband provider is of no help, or at least help to you to understand your problem.

Posted by scottie4642 over 4 years ago
Be prepared, I am a TalkTalk Customer!
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
Not really providers which are my problem but the infrastructure.

Best option is a decent TalkTalk reseller.
Posted by camallison over 4 years ago
In the interest of balanced reporting, why are no satisfied customers being asked to submit a short synopsis? The British press needs to start reporting a balanced view, or is that "against their principles"?
Posted by swt4ajp over 4 years ago
im with virgin media cable, I am not disillusioned by their service, I am very happy with it, and if things go wrong I go though the correct procedures to get it working again and usually within a few hours to possibly 3 days at max until its fixed which I think is acceptable. I would be more then happy to email if you are willing to provide some good feedback as well
Posted by hypertony over 4 years ago
One email on the way to you, Andrew. :)
Posted by Dixinormous over 4 years ago
The balanced part of the article will come from the provider themselves getting to have their own say on the matter.

Having a paragraph devoted to someone saying that their service is fine wouldn't be the best press or use of paper. It's reasonable to expect the majority of customers to consider their service to be fine else the company wouldn't have any! :)
Posted by HiPing over 4 years ago
Having left Sky after 4 years due to their terrible support and QOS, I went to ADSL24.
I was only with them a year but did not have one single problem. I was sorry to leave, as when fibre became available, I found their service to expensive for me. As with a lot of "niche" companies, you get what you pay for.
Posted by Barrie41 over 4 years ago
Scottie4642 - I too am a TalkTalk customer and I know exactly what you mean. Inefficient, incompetent and inarticulate are just three of the words that spring to mind.
Posted by bobdelamare over 4 years ago
It seems to me that TT and the others can be brilliant in the towns and cities: lots of customers in a small area. Outside that it is very spotty. Problem is the adverts promise a town service but out of town the service does deliver. Question? How is it that consumer protection acts such as Supply of Goods & Services, Trades Description, etc don't apply to ISPs ot Telcos? If they did, a few court cases and the problem solved.
Posted by JonasT over 4 years ago
I am a virgin media customer who has had nothing but issues with my connection since taking service with them 2 years ago, my biggest problem is the know fault on my local areas UBR that wont be fixed for another few months and has been a problem since last year, also yet to get my "free" upgrade when all other non 100Mbit users have been upgraded, making my service mostly unusable when i want to use it. There are no other options (BT Infinity or Sky Fibre) only low speed ADSL and with a family of 5 trying to use the internet ADSL isn't and option.
Posted by arb9876 over 4 years ago
BT business customer for 8 years - since ADSL became available on my exchange. Rural exchange, I am about 4.8km from there.
Ups and downs, ins and outs over the years from weather damage to overhead copper to odd and intermittent faults.
BT customer service and wholesale (Openreach) have been great over the years (OK - frusrating to have to wait a day or two for an engineer) and very persistent in solving the odd problem.
Currently get about 3.0 to 3.5 MB stable service which for my infrastructure is excellent.
All I can do is wait for any fibre upgrade, or move!
Posted by dsf58 over 4 years ago
Seems to me that aside from those with appalling customer service there is little to chose between suppliers, so I go for one with a short minimum contract rather than one with an 18 month minimum. Costs a touch more but I can walk away ...
Posted by BostonRedSox over 4 years ago
It does not in my experience make much if any difference who your ISP is, none really have any influence over the network operator BT Wholesale. My neighbours line (identical to mine inc cabinet at exch) is supposedly capable of faster speeds than mine. I suggest you check the BTWholesale ADSL Checker for a few of your neighbours lines to see the true speed your line will support. But dont bother tocontact BTWholesale as they will just ignore you.
Posted by bigbadpirate over 4 years ago
all well and good you saying that dsf58 but BT are structuting the new fiber rollout so ISPs cannot offer a short term contract, BT at their best again and left to get away with what they want.
Posted by FINCASTLE84 over 4 years ago
I moved to Plusnet last year after 10 years with AOL. It's the best decision I've made in ages. Plusnet are superb; reliable service & great customer support. AOL really went to the dogs after they were taken over by Talk Talk.
Posted by worldtravellerz over 4 years ago
I left AOL/TalkTalk and haven't looked back, better service, large download allowance and excellent advisors and at a reasonable cost. Now (after a series of upgrades) still on PlusNet with FTTC normally getting 70+ mbps download. Just hoping that they will soon support a high rate HTTP and IPv6, rather than opting for a temporary "fudge"