Sky to make available network based parental controls
Tuesday 05 February 2013 17:23:49 by Andrew Ferguson

Sky which is now the second largest DSL provider in the UK is planning to offer a whole home solution for parental controls to its over four million broadband customers. There are no precise dates for the roll-out but it is expected during 2013 and will feature a network based solution where parents can login and control what is and is not available over their connection.

Sky already offers the McAfee parental control software, but this is limited as it only runs on Microsoft Windows and the rise of the Internet connected device is undermining the idea that a single PC providers Internet access for a family.

Lyssa McGowan who is Brand Director of Communications Products goes into more detail on what is available for those seeking parental controls via Sky on their corporate website and the providers commitment to Safer Internet Day.

Comments

Posted by zyborg47 over 4 years ago
so another Isp to avoid if i ever went back to wire broadband. Shame really, because sky seemed to be one of the better ones of the larger ISPs.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
Why avoid? They have not said it will be forced into a permanently on state.
Posted by fibrebunny over 4 years ago
Caters to the lowest common denominator but might be of use to some. You can just opt out, I should think most mass market ISP's will end up with filtering of some sort if only to keep the daily wail types happy.
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
@andrew

It's still opt-out not opt-in.

Wouldn't surprise me if a future government makes it permanent.
Posted by zyborg47 over 4 years ago
why Avoid? because if it is anything like Talk Talk system, it don't matter if in or out, it will still track you. unless sky can say that their system will not follow you if you are not using it then best to avoid. then they could change their minds at some point. Online safety should be the parents job, not a ISP.

Posted by doowles over 4 years ago
About bloody time!
Posted by doowles over 4 years ago
I have the talk talk worksafe product. It has no problems at all being unfiltered. The comments above are complete scaremongering.
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
@doowles

Why are you so bothered about censoring your internet?
Posted by zyborg47 over 4 years ago
Talk Talk worksafe is just a business version of homesafe and even when you opt out it is still tracking you. I am glad I am not using a Mass market ISP, I am glad I choose the one I have.