Celebrations at TalkTalk and big questions at Orange and EE
Wednesday 19 December 2012 10:23:00 by Andrew Ferguson

While Ofcom does not deal with individuals complaints it does log them and by monitoring them they assess whether there are major issues that need to be addressed by regulatory intervention. The latest set of data on telecoms and broadband complaints shows that Orange was the most complained about provider in August and September 2012. The reason for the large spike is believed to be customers contacting Ofcom over the ending of the free broadband for Orange mobile customers.

Ofcom broadband complaints data for period ending September 2012
Click image for larger version

TalkTalk is usually the provider that everyone assumes is the worst, but the trend is that they are approaching the industry average and are currently running very close to BT in terms of the number of complaints per 1,000 customers.

It is difficult to be certain but EE (formerly Orange) there does appear to be getting more problems with slow broadband speeds due to capping, which is odd as it is a BT Wholesale based service and similar volumes of complaints do not show up for other providers on our forums, this may be less about the automated systems but more about the parameters that the people running EE support try to impose.

Posted by mitchja over 4 years ago
Noticed T-Mobile and Orange have also both pushed Three UK of the top spot for mobiles as well this quarter!! Not a good quarter for EE.

I think all the network rebranding confusion isn't helping matters either.

(no complaints here about T-Mobile though)
Posted by stoatwblr over 4 years ago
I'm not particularly surprised about Orange. I had the misfortune of having to deal with them some time back after a staff member was told she couldn't have a PAC.

TT shouldn't be popping any corks yet though. Their customer service is still atrocious.
Posted by audioslim over 4 years ago
Perhaps its the people who are stitched up with no data allowances on smart phones which Orange seemed to do quite often (people are daft we know this).

Devious, and the reason my missus switched to giffgaff.
Posted by rian over 4 years ago
I think TalkTalk forum support is quite effective while the call center is remain problematic.
Posted by capitolman over 4 years ago
I agree about talktalk, i never use the call center as the forum is first class.
Posted by zyborg47 over 4 years ago
Waste of time having a forum if you got no internet and since the forum is not instant, you could wait for the problem to be sorted out.

If they can't offer a decent customer service on the phone then something is wrong. If Talk Talk celebrates because it is the second to last worse, then that is a poor show.
Posted by LT38 over 4 years ago
im supprised VM isnt higher considering the amount of people complaining on there forums these figures are either wrong or people are getting fed up complaining aout VM and getting knowhere so just cant be borthered anymore. That or they have a speacial relationship with ofcom
Posted by XRaySpeX over 4 years ago
"EE (formerly Orange) there does appear to be getting more problems with slow broadband speeds due to capping".

About time this is investigated as it is stupid capping lines to far lower speeds than they are actually capable of. It must be to put users on over-stable connections so as to not overwhelm their phone agents who are ignorant of BB parameters anyway, but it wastes everyone's time when those users who realise that they are being capped call to get it released.
Posted by baby_frogmella over 4 years ago
Having a completely dead internet connection is not very common and if in the unlikely event it did go down, then i'm sure in the year 2012 people would have some alternative means to access the TT forums. But of course very easy to knock TT when you're not even a customer
Posted by baby_frogmella over 4 years ago
Also Vodafone, Orange/EE & Three also have poor phone support (mostly overseas based) yet they still have millions of customers just like TT :)
Posted by undecidedadrian over 4 years ago
I have found 3 to have excellent UK based customer service. You also have the added bonus of the shops being able to deal with a vast array of situations of well.

As for dead connections not being very common, there was the fire in a Birmingham exchange this year which knocked out millions of connections and at the time I didn't have an alternative so don't presume to assume that is the case.
Posted by Paul-B over 4 years ago
Well, my own experience with TT over 5 years has been very good. I moved to their business service from Zen business, which was faultless but very expensive. TT LLU'd my exchange so I reluctantly made the move. Their service has been excellent, overnight my d/l speed went from around 4mbps to 12+mbps and has remained there since. I've only had to contact their CS department twice, and each time I was dealt with quickly and efficiently, and the faults reported were cleared up within hours, so kudos to TT.
Posted by chazinglasgow over 4 years ago
Well, having had Virgin Media National ADSL for a number of years and the price going up and up and the router constantly disconnecting I've switched to EE (I'm a T-mobile phone user). The Brightbox router has not once dropped the line and even with P2P downloads the bandwith download is fine..I just hope it stays this way!! ;-)
Posted by djfunkdup over 4 years ago
LT38: What kind of problems are you having with your VM Service ? ............
Posted by leexgx over 4 years ago
Orange locking the speed to silly low speeds is very common Sky do the same thing accept Sky fix it right away (reset the line profile before doing an tech call out)
Posted by Whitefort over 4 years ago
I recently quit TalkTalk, and can only say that if Orange are worse, they must be truly, truly dire...
Posted by wildroverandy over 4 years ago
As a TT customer myself, I was always sceptical about joining them, but after two and a half years I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The service provided has been pretty reliable, although not always the fastest, it's fast enough. I did have a couple of issues when I first joined, but as said, help from the forums was excellent and prompt.

After using the Internet myself for 15 years or so, I've come to the conclusion that these surveys don't really amount to much. You'll get complaints with them all, but in the main most will be happy with their service.
Posted by picard25 over 4 years ago
I'm on Sky (Smug grin).
Posted by maxwild over 4 years ago
I started with TT as Tiscali and in the old days had problems with their support line. But that was years ago. When I upgraded to Youview from Essentials in September all contact was with UK based support and could not have been more efficient. Wildroverandy has it about right I think.
Posted by andymacp over 4 years ago
I have also been with Talktalk for three years with very few problems, the ones I had were posted on the forum and sorted satisfactorily within days.I do not use customer service as they are mostly based in India. If Talktalk switched to UK customer service there would hardly be any complaints.When it comes to contract renewal which other ISP allows you to haggle over your renewal.loyal customers have that privilege every time!!