Superfast Cornwall to increase awareness of new broadband options
Friday 23 November 2012 13:20:50 by Andrew Ferguson

With most of our visitors probably already convinced of the benefits of superfast broadband, it may seem odd for Cornwall to have to advertise that a superfast broadband service is widely available across the county.

Baxter the dog themed advertising for Superfast Cornwall project
Baxter, the lucky dog who gets to go for walkies more now that superfast broadband has been installed in his owners home.
Click image for larger version of letter

The new campaign has started at the point where 40% of the premises in Cornwall can access superfast services via the £132m project, with work continuing to increase coverage to 80% of Cornwall.

One of the conditions for projects like Superfast Cornwall and the other local authority projects across the UK is that demand stimulation activity takes place to promote the service. This activity is particularly important for areas where broadband speeds are less than perfect now, as after a few years of people seeing no change they may have simply assumed from the doom and gloom coverage broadband sometimes receives in the press that nothing is happening for years to come.

In addition to this sort of provider agnostic advertising Superfast Cornwall also has grants available for businesses in Cornwall to help them grow and make the most of the broadband options.

Comments

Posted by WWWombat about 1 year ago
I see the advert specifies SF-fibre-BB. Are they ignoring the USC component for WiFi or Satellite at the moment?
Posted by AndrueC about 1 year ago
..in partnership with the EU.

As opposed to BDUK which is in partnership with UK Govt. PLC.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
The USC side of things is being worked on, but focus appears to be on getting the superfast target of 80% hit.

Covering 2 Meg USC and superfast in same advert would also lead to lots more explanation needed.
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
I've been hooked up to Cornwall's "Superfast" for a week now, with fibre to the premises in Falmouth. I've ordered "Up to 160 mbps" but the engineer said the maximum the exchange can actually provide is 100 mbps. It appears even that was optimistic, as normally the best download is 40 mbps, sometimes lower. And that is using BT's fibre Speed Tester Lite - way less when I use Thinkbroadband's. But upload is improved and the delivery drops less
Posted by AndrueC about 1 year ago
@phopefalkn: Is that using wired or wireless? I can believe that 160Mb/s might be an issue but you ought to be able to do better than 40Mb/s.

If you're using wifi that would explain the cap you're seeing.
Posted by carverdoone43 about 1 year ago
Add in the utilities and you can sum it all up in three words RIP OFF BRITAIN
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
With the FTTP products there are available in various speed steps, so it all depends on what product the retail provider ordered from its wholesaler.

In short if using ethernet and everything points to 40Meg cap, then they've probably ordered a 40 Meg product, not the more expensive 160 Meg.

Which ISP and what actual product was ordered and how much do you pay?
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
Thanks all. It's all from BT/Openreach. The best I've had is about 70mbps, just now it was 69.44 down (22.5 up), on the desktop ethernet connected to the Home Hub. But I get about the same via wireless connected devices. The first bill landed today, and they are certainly charging for up to 160, but say I can get up to 100. Not sure if it's pure rip off or too many left and right hands. I wouldn't be surprised if they put in a under-capacity fibre modem, but I have raised a query ... and now (4.48pm) it's dropped to 45.8
Posted by Somerset about 1 year ago
What can routers do? A Netgear N300 Wireless Gigabit Router cannot do media streaming.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@PHopefalkn

Odd on the up to, since FTTP connects at the purchased speed, so if 160 ordered it connects at that. Throughput of course is a different matter, it may be the HH3 is not really good for much beyond 80 Meg, I have one on its way to do some testing in this regard.
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
Well, we will see what BT say when their engineer comes in 3 days. I am expecting much 'bullsh' but I will keep an open mind. Right now (19.15hrs) on BT's it's reading 42.9/4.1 mbps up/down. I am curious to know why Thinkbroadband's speed test gives an utterly different result (5.5/11.6 moments later)
Posted by themanstan about 1 year ago
Does the test give you an IP profile?
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
No sign of an IP profile just the up/down numbers and something called ping latency: http://speedtester.bt.com/beta/speedtest-remote.jsp
Posted by themanstan about 1 year ago
Use the other FTTP diagnostics or the BTwholesale Performance Test at the link at the bottom of the speedtester page, either test should give you an IP profile. This is the maximum speed you can receive based on your product irrespective of other "issues".
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
I Googled BTW Performance tester and got to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

This produced (at 0825) "Download speedachieved during the test was - 64.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-319.25 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 319.25 Mbps"
and "Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.15Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps"

Which seems to say my setup could handle double 160 mbps
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
The IP Profile will be 320Meg, because that is the product used to create the 160Meg service, which is then throttled back by BT Retail.

Suggestion is perhaps BT Retail has some problems with the product.
Posted by Sfast_Cornwall about 1 year ago
PHopefalkn - we'd like to look into this for you and would be grateful if you could get in touch with us at info@superfastcornwall.org

If you could provide us with your address and landline number, and the name of your ISP, we can investigate these issues for you.

Superfast Cornwall
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
I've emailed Sfast_Cornwall and BT are coming Wednesday. As the surveyors were from the Midlands, and there were 3 separate engineers (perhaps 25% of those qualified for the job in this County) getting the glass blown to the house, then cabling it in to fibre modem, I suspect that the problem is that no one person has the overall responsibility to see what was ordered is what is delivered. We shall see ...
Posted by eviemai2011 about 1 year ago
There are still issues on the active equipment. Not sure which ONT you have but the said supplier is releasing new software which will hopefully sort it out.
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
All the equipment/infrastructure is fine, including the ONT. It misbehaved for the engineer and at one stage he was getting just over 5 mbps wired straight to the hub. There seems to be a problem with the way I was set up as a customer, and the engineer was unable to see my profile. He had been sent out for a problem with FTTC, not FTTP. After 2 hours trying to get resolution from BT Retail he had to appeal to god. Now I have an email from the "Director - Cornwall & Scilly Superfast Broadband Programme, BT Group" that he 'Will get right onto it'. Fingers crossed.
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
STOP PRESS: all sorted. I am now getting 280+ mbps down and 17+ up. The mystery was in the HH3 but with that sorted and ethernet cables/capacity checked, it is no longer Slow Superfast. I am even getting 70+ down and 17 up on WiFi appliances.
Posted by themanstan about 1 year ago
Jobs done, you sound a happy bunny!
In my experience the BT engineers (experienced ones) who deal with problems are good to very good. Where it's an initial install, that's where the variation is... from very good to i can only follow the manual.
Posted by PHopefalkn about 1 year ago
I reserve judgment on my bunny status, pending seeing how the speeds are maintained, but I am smiling. That said, it shouldn't be so difficult that you have to enlist 2 engineers, God and Thinkbroadband to get it sorted. Clearly, God rates TB, and so does Superfast Cornwall. So I will be reorientating my mat. Thank you Thinkbroadband

ps HH3 Type A cannot handle speeds in excess of 80 mbps: I have Type B, which can
Posted by charlestown about 1 year ago
I'm near the centre of St Austell and I just wish I could get some kind of ballpark idea from BT when fibre is likely to be available at my address. The area is plastered with adverts for infinity but whenever I ask about availability all I ever get is a shrug and they can't tell me if it will be next month, next year or never.

One BT advisor did tell me my address had been designated for FTTP but that was 6 months ago and I've never heard anything since.
Posted by BTprodmgmt about 1 year ago
Re HH3A, it was more 100Mbps+ line speeds with ports slower than gigE in the home that was the issue. Which was why we've sent customers with lines over 100M a HH3B instead. Thankfully, we've now rollout out a fix to the issue and both A and B work fine above 100Mbps