BDUK projects slowly progressing towards delivery
Wednesday 07 November 2012 13:59:09 by Andrew Ferguson

Durham is one of the latest BDUK projects to announce it is entering its State Aid consultation phase, this is after completing the Open Market Review which should have identified where operators are providing or not providing service and what their plans are for the next three years.

While this phase as far as the public is concerned is just more paperwork and administration rather than service delivery, the Durham project does offer something a little different in the form of a postcode checker which in theory will give you a guide to your basic broadband and superfast broadband coverage:

1. White Areas: Where no operator is providing a service, and thus part of the project.
  2. Grey Areas: Has an operator providing service, so not part of the project.
  3. Black Areas: Two or more operators providing a service, so not part of the project.

We checked the site using the postcode DL13 4HE which is in Tow Law and where current ADSL services appear able to provide speeds around 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps. This told us for basic broadband that there is one operator, but for superfast services there are no plans, and thus should see something delivered by the project in the future.

Residents and businesses are encouraged to check their own postcode and provide feedback on the classification given, this will be important if for example the council thinks your postcode has a basic broadband service already but you actually connect at slower than 2 Mbps currently.

The blanket state aid approval from the EU for the projects relying on the BDUK team is currently expected to be announced in November 2012.

Posted by chrish16 over 4 years ago
I've been following Digital Durham, and have been disappointed with the outcome of the OMR. Bishop Auckland has been fibre upgraded for a while now, but I live on the edge of the town on a new estate and our cabinet hasn't been upgraded by BT. The OMR postcode checker you speak of states my postcode as grey for both basic and superfast broadband, which I don't understand why. I can't get any answers out of anyone as to whether this means BT has plans of upgrading this cabinet. I feel that I'm going to be left behind and forgotten about.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
The inference is that your cab is on the unannounced list. NDA's mean councils have advance visibility of the openreach (and other providers) roll-out.

If it was me I would be double checking, as postcodes do not line up with cabinet areas, so they may have messed up.
Posted by chrish16 over 4 years ago
Andrew what do you mean exactly? My postcode is DL14 7GF do you mind checking for me please, see if you can find anything out. I think I'm connected to P41 cab on NEBA Bishop Auckland exchange.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
It is grey because there are signs that Openreach is going to upgrade the cabinet. which is based on data from Dec 2011, shows P41 listed, but not live. Usually do not show up on the BT Wholesale one until they have a vague idea of the date.

Council may be able to provide a better answer or not.
Posted by chrish16 over 4 years ago
Ok thank you for the extra information. I did ask the council but they said that information is confidential with BT Openreach.

I guess I'll just have to wait.
Posted by fastman over 4 years ago
interesting Grey not a good place to be
Posted by Bob_s2 over 4 years ago
TRy another angle with the Council. I can slightly understand them saying they cannot tell you it is in the commercial rollout as they may have had to sign an NDA. The way around it is to ask them if you are in the assisted rollout. THat way they are not breaking the NDA Clearly if they say you are not in the assisted rollout the probability is that you are in the commercial rollout unless you are in the few percent that are currently in neither.