Handset pricing for 4G EE services reveal true cost
Tuesday 23 October 2012 16:28:32 by Andrew Ferguson

The big unknown this morning with the Everything Everywhere 4G pricing, was how much handsets would cost, and with an update from TechCrunch we now know.

The popular Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE model, will vary from £149.99 to £29.99 on the 24 month contracts, while the iPhone 5 64GB would cost £379.99 down to £139.99 on the most expensive tariff.

Gizmodo also spotted a very useful infographic on the @EE twitter account that shows suggestions for which package you should be using based on what you intend to do while using the 4G connection. The suggestion is that those wanting to stream content to their handset they will ideally need the 8GB package at a whopping £56 a month.

The infographic is somewhat generous with what you can do with the basic 500MB allowance. It claims this is enough to visit 1,500 content rich sites, which works out at 330KB per site, and when our basic home page weighs in at 500KB and we are a long way from being a media heavy site, one of our review pages which is more representative of picture based site weighs in at 1MB and that is viewing just thumbnail images, a single image that displays full screen on a modern phone can easily be 500KB in size.

So far from EE being future looking, the new 4G launch feels more like a re-packaging of what the average person does, not the aspirational purchaser who is likely to set trends by buying the best phones and making the most of the new network. Which raises the question, why bother to upgrade to 4G if you are only going to use it for email?

Dare we ask, what is the point of the 4G auction if the cost of service means an elite minority are the only ones who can afford to use the services?

Comments

Posted by Rackellar about 1 year ago
EE have taken full advantage of their monopoly on 4G and royally messed it up for themselves. They had the perfect opportunity to set the benchmark for 4G and go head to head with Three to become the true network for data. Unfortunately they have decided not to and slap unrealistic data limits on users whilst charging them a huge premium for the privilege. When you factor in the cost of the handsets you would have to be mad to sign up with them. I for one will be sticking to Three with their One Plan, which is far superior.
Posted by jchamier about 1 year ago
EE have missed the point, this is the company that offers "The Full Monty" on T-Mobile for £26 a month. Okay they allow tethering on EE which the others block, but that's not essential and could be a additional £5 option.

4G/LTE was supposed to *save* them money over the 3G usage constantly increasing and give space for more users.
Posted by otester about 1 year ago
@jchamier

Providers can only block tethering on phones which have their firmware, so if you reflash or buy from somewhere else, you can tether as much as you want.
Posted by jtthedevil about 1 year ago
I'm one of the ones who have been waiting patiently for 4g to improve my broadband life. I'm reasonably well paid and don't mind spending money on my phone as i'm away quite a bit and use it a lot. I was away recently and used 16gb over a couple of weeks on 3 AYCE at speeds of 6mb, more than enough for the streaming I was doing and surfing. Really want 4g in my area, but 8gb is nowhere near enough to supply my needs. I'll stick with 3/3g for now thanks...
Posted by otester about 1 year ago
@jtthedevil

How much signal do you get with Three in your current location and position you put your phone in mostly?

I put mine on my shelf and I get an extra bar of signal.
Posted by nooneatall about 1 year ago
I was going to switch to Orange... but they clearly are mocking consumers here. I hope Vodafone, Virgin, 3 and others get in the game soon. I'll stick with 3G thanks Orange. A 500mb plan? ha ha ha... completely clueless.
Posted by Saurus about 1 year ago
Ha, Im getting 5 bars with 3 and average connection around the 10-12mb, which is more than double my old BT based Landline!! I checked Orange mobile Broadband but way too expensive for lousy 5gb allowance.
Posted by pcoventry76 about 1 year ago
@ Rackellar

Here Here! and me too! I might only get 12 down and 5 up BUT 200GB a month is nothing to them!

I too use them as my main broadband source - and got rid of my landline.

Long live the One Plan! :)
Posted by undecidedadrian about 1 year ago
I use Three wuth the one plan and so I can tether onto my tablet and have unlimited data use.

I use a slingbox and so can stream my Sky box onto my tablet.

I also use it to connect to my NAS at home and get mp3 and mp4's on the go depending on what I want to watch or listen to.

I could easily exceed their usage caps in a day easily, I think EE really don't understand how people want to use bandwidth.
Posted by jondigidol about 1 year ago
@otester

That is not true. The network can block tethering as it can pick up the type of browser you are using to surf. If you have tethering on and you are trying to share the data on anything that is not the same as your type of handset it will block it. It is likely to allow you to tether if it is another iOS device but not is it is a full blown PC or mac. I know this as I have an unlocked iPhone with a sim free deal with three. They pick up quite quickly when I am browsing on a different device.
Posted by jtthedevil about 1 year ago
@otester
Get a good 3g signal in most places I go. Signal at home is poor, but I can use my adsl for most things there.

@jondigidol

I use my Desire HD as a wifi hotspot on 3 and it hasn't slowed or cut off on my ipad laptop or home computer. I know they can detect quite quickly if you put the sim in a mifi or dongle.
Posted by jondigidol about 1 year ago
@jtthedevil

Three's service is nothing like what is used to be over 5 years ago. It is a serious contender to the big networks. 3 can undercut the other operators as they don't use expensive 2G and use a cheaper spectrum allocation than the others. Other than a bit more muffled call quality than the others, Three offers much more value for money.

Posted by jondigidol about 1 year ago
I used to be an Orange customer for their 3G for my iPad in central London. It was shockingly congested, offered half the data allowance and twice the cost of Three's package. Three seems to be the only network that doesn't want to be in a cartel. Without Three in the market we would all be paying much higher prices for data and get much less allowances.

So to mock Three is to mock consumer choice and competition....
Posted by jondigidol about 1 year ago
@jtthedevil

It depends if you use the tethering ridiculously. If you're on the oneplan then you will have tethering anyway. 3 had crackdown on my tethering after a couple of months using my phone to tether. I guess they must have a threshold of when they notice that something is not right with your usage. It is certainly nothing to do with the firmware.
Posted by jondigidol about 1 year ago
Back to the main article however, I am not at all surprised by EE. They charge the most, they have the highest credit rating benchmark but have a network performance that can often be beaten by their competitors. They are completely milking the market before anybody else gets in.
Posted by jondigidol about 1 year ago
Undecidedadrian is right, they have no idea on how their customers use the netowork or... Don't care! Orange was once a high calibre network but it fell into the abyss, even below Three around 3-4 years ago - ask Ofcom! All they are doing here is trying to justify charging the most again just because of a new name! They called it EE for a reason, Expensive Eitherway!
Posted by ukhardy071 about 1 year ago
I thought this when I saw the 4g info. The usage is terrible.

I would rather have my unlimited 3g coverage.

I have had 3 and where I am the coverage is poor. I mainly had one bar at home (sometimes no service).

I had Orange for a brief time but it took me 2 hours to speak to somebody and that was just terrible for me. Their call centres are unacceptable... I left within their 7 day returns..

Posted by ukhardy071 about 1 year ago
have vodafone nowadays. I do pay a slight premium but I get brilliant speeds. Unlimited everything even data for £40. With iPhone 5.

I see no need for a 4g 'upgrade' which will give me marginally better speeds with giant usage restrictions.
Posted by chrysalis about 1 year ago
why is mobile broadband so poor in this country.
Friend of mine in america can get 4-5mbit on 3G at peak times and over 20mbit on 4G at peak. Meanwhile me on "three" my laptop gets 0.2mbit at peak and its so bad pages timeout just web browsing this is on top of extorniote costs to use the service. Whilst its cheaper in america. What gives?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
Depends on where you live in America, just like it does in the UK.

Posted by otester about 1 year ago
@jondigidol

Well I have been tethering for a long time (at least a year) and never had any issues and I download ~250GB a month on a PAYG SIM (my DSL sucks).

@ukhardy071

Isn't that just the unlimited data for 3/6 months thing to get you hooked?

@chrysalis

Are you on a Three contract?

High probability Traffic Sense will nail you if you are.

I'm zooming along at 7Mbps on average.
Posted by jondigidol about 1 year ago
@otester

Is it a Three pay as you go? I have no idea how you manage to download 250gb in a month on 3G and what for? I'd be very surprised if you we're able to tether that much data on a non tethered plan. Also, downloading such amount really would be congesting the network. Maybe you'd be best to go on 4G or curb the download addiction ; )
Posted by Ultraman1966 about 1 year ago
250GB on a 3G connection? I don't even download that much on a VM fibre line...
Posted by otester about 1 year ago
@jondigidol

Three Pay As You Go SIM on the All You Can Eat £15 package.

It's against the T&C to tether but I do it anyways.

It's not my job to prop up their business model, also as I'm pretty rural I doubt it congests the network since it flatlines around 8Mb most of the time (suggests back haul limit).

@Ultraman1966

It would be more but I just can't think of any thing else to download at the moment.
Posted by pcoventry76 about 1 year ago
Traffic sense controls the towers not a persons phone.

And in regards to 3 I also do about 200 on AYCE on the one plan because I dont have a TV licence and I watch catch up most days.

As for EE - not even started and already been on Watchdog.. :/
Posted by chrysalis about 1 year ago
otester its a prepay dongle I just used when needed. When I plugged it in the other day to check my account details I couldnt even load the account page on three's own website it was so congested.
Posted by otester about 1 year ago
@chrysalis

Everyone else seems to be fine so maybe it's your computer.