Hyperoptic looks to create its own hyper-connected fibrehood
Thursday 11 October 2012 08:43:52 by Andrew Ferguson

While Openreach may say that 24 Mbps is more than a typical family can use now, there are many people who do not consider themselves typical and Hyperoptic appears to be making good on its promises to deliver Gigabit broadband to those people who live in flats and apartments in London across 12 boroughs. While concentrated in London currently we can look forward to more news by the end of the year for about expansion outside London.

Hyperoptic has concentrated on the fibre to the building market, which is one that has successfully brought Gigabit options to many other European and Asian cites. To date they have wired up blocks that comprise 10,000 homes in Barnet, Croydon, Greenwich, Hammersmith and Fulham, Hounslow, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Newham, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth and Westminster. In terms of take-up we have been assured that it far exceeds the European average of 18.6% (FTTH Council Europe reports 31.9 million homes passed by fibre, with 5.95 million subscribing to a service) and importantly is growing daily.

Progress on the roll-out continues, and they aim to have passed 20,000 homes (in 100 major property developments) by the end of 2012 and forecasts are to keep going to connect half a million homes in the next five years.

"The broadband issues in the Docklands have been incredibly frustrating for us, so we are thrilled to be working with Hyperoptic to now provide our residents with the fastest broadband in the UK. We are working with Hyperoptic to supply its hyper-fast connection across our portfolio and integrate as part of our new developments moving forwards, which include iconic developments that are scheduled to launch in 2013 – the Pump House, Royal Docks and Canary Gateway"

Gary Sacks, Managing Director at City and Docklands

While the big headline is the symmetric Gigabit service, for those who do not feel the need for all the speed they can actually buy a 20 Mbps service that starts at £12.50, the full Gigabit is available for just £50 per month.

Comments

Posted by Spectre_01 about 1 year ago
I see that your talking about things that would confuse the average man, not that I am an average man... infact I'm far superior to the average man. £50 is a bit too much for me though I'll go for the £12.50 option, I'll then raise a complaint that its much slower then the Gigabit service my neighbours are getting.
Posted by undecidedadrian about 1 year ago
You article said Openreach said 24 Meg was all that a family needed. Your statement above misquotes your own article.

Use and need is very different.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
"At the moment we can't see any reason why any individual family can use more than 24 Megs"

Part of the Olivia Garfield quote, so am correct to make use of the word Use in this article.

My use of need before was a stimulus to get people thinking of the difference between need and use.
Posted by dogbark about 1 year ago
I'm surprised they are offering just 20Mbps because everybody knows that it's 4 Mbps less than enough.
Posted by Hyperoptic about 1 year ago
@dogbark

Thanks for making the office smile :)
Posted by tommy45 about 1 year ago
@dogbark 20mbps up as well as down and not an upto quote either as it don't use BT's copper
Posted by tommy45 about 1 year ago
Which is a dam sight more than most get when subscribing to an UpTo 24mbps(now an upto 20mbps or lower advertised speed) product with an Asdl service,
Posted by doowles about 1 year ago
I live in a tower block in central Reading. Still can't even get infinity.
Posted by Hyperoptic about 1 year ago
@doowles Being a resident of the same town, I know how you feel, I would love to hyper-optimise my home. If you get fibre power before me, can I come round for a cuppa and some bandwidth please?
Posted by dogbark about 1 year ago
You could always make the base package 25 Mbits ;)
Posted by tthom about 1 year ago
Hyperoptic leading the way I think and hey I would be happy getting 20meg up and down but sadly.. I think I will be stuck on my 8meg down and 1 meg up until I move home for the sake of faster broadband cant see that happening
Posted by GMAN99 about 1 year ago
Why can't hyperoptic come to you? And me for that matter I'd gladly pay those prices for 20Mbps or a 1Gig
Posted by gobble172 about 1 year ago
I would build a tower for a gig internet speeds.
Posted by doowles about 1 year ago
They are only installing it in new builds as far as I know.
Posted by doowles about 1 year ago
And by new build I mean apartment blocks in the process of being built.