Northern Ireland gets serious on finding spots below 2 Mbps USC
Tuesday 18 September 2012 15:23:40 by Andrew Ferguson

The DETI Telecoms Action Plan for Northern Ireland that runs from 2011 to 2015 is intended to ensure the region meets the UK wide broadband targets for 2015. As things stand, Northern Ireland we are led to believe has a superfast service available to some 94% of homes, compared to a UK figure of 60%.

The DETI is now keen to identify those areas of Northern Ireland that are getting under 2 Mbps or the choice of broadband is limited to just a satellite service for example. To assist in this, the DETI has published a list of postcodes and is keen for the public if they have no broadband or its slower than 2 Mbps to check their postcode is on the list, and if not to submit it. To make life a little easier, there is a simple checker that looks up a postcode on the list for you.

Many people will perhaps be under the impression that Northern Ireland already has ubiquitous broadband coverage, and it does at a slow 0.5 Mbps, or by using a satellite broadband service. This basic coverage has in theory being in place since 2005, so work to meet a USC of 2 Mbps and improve service choice will be very welcome for the thousands affected.

The advantage of asking the public to help in collecting the data is that it avoids the issue where broadband operators may overstate the availability and performance of a service. The consultation runs until 12th October 2012 and is also seeking input from operators in Northern Ireland as to what their service offers now, and what their expansion plans are.

Posted by darren_mccoy over 4 years ago
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I have already been up and down our road getting signatures. Fingers crossed!
Posted by vicdupreez over 4 years ago
I believe that the 94% of super fast access in Northern Ireland is bulls$%t. What do they class as super fast? 8Mbps? 20Mbps?

Posted by NuttyMucker over 4 years ago
My postcode is not on the list because I am at the very end of fttc and get 14 down and 1 up which is good but paying the same as someone getting over 60/20. On adsl it was 1 down. I have sent it of as I dont believe I have superfast by any means
Posted by jtthedevil over 4 years ago
ME! ME! For the love of all thats good fix my 0.5mb!!!!!!!!
Posted by anthonymcquoid over 4 years ago
About time, if only BT would run a report on the sync speeds for all connections in Northern Ireland. Instead they are asking for the general public who most are not aware how to check.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
Perhaps the simplest way is to ask people if iPlayer/4oD work at all? And whether they can watch the HD one.

If it does not work, under 1 Meg. If works but no HD then 1 to 3 Meg connection. Simple but quick guide.
Posted by vicdupreez over 4 years ago
BT does not care about us... as in at all... They only care about their shareholders. This in itself is not a problem. They are a business after all. What gets me is that they are so damn obvious about it.
Posted by deeor over 4 years ago
Interesting that I I have received a letter today from BT in which it acknowledges that my speed is 1.2mb and offering to upgrade it to 13.3mb (Faster Total Broadband) if I pay them £26 per month. My postcode is on the list so I wonder if BT's idea is to make the customer pay rather than deal with the problem. If I get only 1.2mb on an up to 8mb deal I'd say my chances of getting 13.3mb are pretty slim.