BT line rental to rise above £15 from January 2013
Wednesday 29 August 2012 15:24:47 by John Hunt

BT have announced that price changes will affect customers from 5th of January 2013 driving up line rental prices over the £15 mark for the first time. Standard line rental is increasing from £14.60 to £15.45 per month with other increases to calls, broadband and vision prices.

BT note the prices are limited to a maximum of 5.9% for broadband and voice services but the large increases are in the Vision section, with one Sky Sports option going up by 38.9%! If you take BT Vision alongside broadband and phone you may notice that your overall price could be 10% higher in some instances depending on which options you take. Early termination fees are also due to receive price increases. A summary is available below including the percentage change whilst full details from BT are available here.

Product 2012 Price 2013 Price %age increase
BT Vision Essential £4 £5 25%
Single Vision pack £7.20 £7.50 4.2%
Sky Sports 1 or 2 (individually) (12 month) £12.90 £15.00 16.3%
Sky Sports 1 or 2 (individually) (24 month) £7.20 £10.00 38.9%
Sky Sports 1 & 2 (12 month) £18.20 £20.00 9.8%
Sky Sports 1 & 2 (24 month) £12.30 £15 22.0%

Line rental costs going up will affect a large number of broadband users as a standard phone line is required to use broadband. It is suggested that people shop around to find the best line rental price as you may find that it is cheaper from your broadband provider or another WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) provider.

It's also likely that line rental prices of other providers will go up, although there is usually some delay in this. Sky have only just recently announced an increase to line rental, with this rising from £12.25 a month to £14.50 a month from the 1st of September. The Sky increase in line rental is only for new customers signing up, and existing customers will continue to pay the lower rate. The historic line rental charges for BT with dates of commencement are below:

Date Price
January 2013 £15.45
December 2011 £14.60
April 2011 £13.90
October 2010 £13.29
January 2010 (VAT related increase) £12.79
April 2009 £12.50
April 2008 £11.75

Comments

Posted by camieabz over 2 years ago
I wonder if I can buy my line and avoid years of rental?
Posted by Saurus over 2 years ago
From a rural perspective (1.89mb on >8mb Plusnet connection speed according to TBB test) Mobile Broadband is starting to look increasingly competetive(my wife has a wifi connection with 3 and gets 5mb). Hopefully by Jan 2013 even more so!
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 2 years ago
And all this is happening after price cuts imposed by Ofcom earlier in the year, which they said would reduce retail price.

We warned that seemed unlikely at the time, and here is the proof.

Also BT is actually appealing those wholesale price reductions.
Posted by Borisvon over 2 years ago
like you saurus i find my self using my fixed line less and less due too mobile broadband being much faster, i just tether my computer to my phone and away i go, even tempted to cancel my fixed line as it looks like fixed speed is never going to improve.
my mobile bill is about £10 a month cheaper than bt!!
Posted by carverdoone43 over 2 years ago
Taxpayers money sunk into this company and others and then they want to charge you more for the service they cannot provide, what a load of blonkers we are to even buy their service in the first place, the key word is GREED.
Posted by Vivaciti over 2 years ago
Well I don't know about BT Retail, but we do not have any plans at the moment to increase our line rental, it's still £11.40 per month and a monthly contract!
Posted by prlzx over 2 years ago
Thanks for the heads up on this! An above-inflation increase is enough and while there is nothing "magic" about the £15 figure it is enough for me to move the WLR to someone else (if this doesn't cause a cease).

That and the regular unwanted sales calls and leaflets pushing Infinity (even though I am on TPS and don't have any existing broadband related services from BT).

Currently looking at IdNet (as an opportunity to enable IPv6 at the same time).
Posted by jchamier over 2 years ago
BT have to fund those football rights they bought from the Premier League some how!!
Posted by Spectre_01 over 2 years ago
^ Seems like it, don't even like football...

Anyway looks like time to switch my voice provider.
Posted by AndrueC over 2 years ago
Damn. I pay a year in advance but renew in February :-/
Posted by zyborg47 over 2 years ago
Maybe I did make the right choice after all in going for a wireless service. No phone line rental needed, because eventually they will all put the price up.

£15 for nothing, that is a disgrace/
Posted by stator over 2 years ago
I hope I never have to move to somewhere without cable.
Posted by vicdupreez over 2 years ago
mmm... I use my line for broadband only... I have been asking for a naked DSL like for years, and every time I am told thy did market research and no one wanted it... I guess the asked the wrong people... Does BT not realise that they are to become a fat pipe and nothing more? Could someone please tell them?
Posted by undecidedadrian over 2 years ago
Given that we have seen inflation hit this mark recently, and more likely we shall see a massive jump in in infaltion in the next couple of months due to a big jump in fuel prices. By January 5.9% may not be too far off the mark.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 2 years ago
@vicdupreez I am sure parts of BT understand the fat pipe scenario, but so long as good profits from phone calls you are alas in the minority
Posted by adslmax over 2 years ago
Many of us had to kept our BT Line Rental because of ADSL/ADSL2+/LLU and FTTC to kept the broadband LIVE on our line but what the f****** point of paying £185.40 for 12 months for the line only! The only way is to avoid BT line is switch to Virgin Media Cable Broadband Standalone (without Virgin Phone) and next year I can see more and more peoples will switch to 4G wireless!

BT are pure greedy and selfish!
Posted by undecidedadrian over 2 years ago
Once again people do not seem to realise how our economy is put together.

The wholesale fuel price has just gone up 10p in the last week alone and apparently isn't likely to stop due to the EU fuel embargo to Iran and the fighting in Syria.

This filters into EVERYTHING especially into electricty which BT tends to use a lot of running the phone network.

There is talk of double digit price hikes in electricty this winter so BT may well have a large chunk of this price hike wiped out and them some by electricty price rises.
Posted by Kr1s69 over 2 years ago
All of this moaning....

Everyone seems to think they get nothing for their line rental. Surely if there was ZERO potential to earn money from calls then the line rental would be even higher?

LLU providers offer discounted line rental to gain customers and cover their costs via call revenue. With BT you have a choice of carrier pre-selection and so they need line rental to cover the full cost.

Also, if line rental was scrapped and the cost put onto broadband, the overall cost would be about the same?

Posted by prlzx over 2 years ago
@undecidedadrian
I understand electricity having a cost but some charges are artifical with no extra work involved.

For example, I am old enough to remember a time before "call setup" charges. I'd argue the ability to dial a number is inherent in what I already paid line rental for (before you start paying for the call when answered). This line rental tariff is not marketed as an "incoming-only line".

It's a bit like having the "booking fee" (used not to levied if you visited a box office in person) but with less justification.

Posted by prlzx over 2 years ago
Services like 1571 make money as more calls get through to something that would have just rung out unanswered.

I also found out there is a "hidden" charge for the "free" 1571 - you are billed for this service if you make no charageable calls in the billing period, which I wasn't told about up front by any sales rep.
Posted by adslmax over 2 years ago
I think BT should change from copper wire to fibre wire even with the new line rental cost increasing! So, why not ? Fed up with old fashion copper wire!
Posted by undecidedadrian over 2 years ago
How can you be "fed up" with copper wire? It is still the best material for the job for it's price.

I'm sure that you would have been moaning if you had been moved onto the space age aluminum lines in the 80's.
Posted by c_j_ over 2 years ago
"if there was ZERO potential to earn money from calls then the line rental would be even higher?"

Maybe.

Or maybe if BT offered something that was actually attractive to prospective customers (cheaper calls, better customer service?) they'd lose less revenue to competitors?

Maybe then there'd be no need for hidden price-gouging like ridiculous "call setup" fees?

BT Retail. Default provider of telecom services to the ill-informed and naive.
Posted by c_j_ over 2 years ago
How do the new Big BT prices compare with the expected prices from Little BT (aka Plusnet)?

Who can explain any expected difference (without mentioning the words "abuse of significant market power" and "regulatory obfuscation")?
Posted by rayvon over 2 years ago
Anyone who just wants stand alone line rental to use their BB connection,Primus have line rental @ £7.99 a month(12 month contract)

What pees me off is nearly 14p just to CONNECT your call.
Posted by wirelesspacman over 2 years ago
There really ought to be very loud claxons going off at Ofcom when the retail price of line rental is getting close to twice the wholesale cost of LLU!

Why should consumers be forced to pay 12 months up front just to get a reasonable price?
Posted by GMAN99 over 2 years ago
Less than a £4 rise in 5yrs how does that compare to sky's tv package increases ? I don't look anymore since I went freesat
Posted by AndrueC over 2 years ago
@GMAN99 - Sky didn't raise the prices of their TV packages at all last year. In fact they merged packages which meant many people (like me) got more channels for the same money. They have raised their prices this year though - about 5%.

But it's pointless having a go at Sky. Pay TV is a luxury so it's not appropriate to compare it to telephone line rental. Sky could put their prices up by 500% and it still wouldn't matter.
Posted by GMAN99 over 2 years ago
Just saying prices go up in every sector, I've no idea if this increase is in line with running and investment costs but everything goes up in price as we all sadly know
Posted by baby_frogmella over 2 years ago
I'm with a well known/well hated full LLU operator and for less than BT's line rental i get:
**18 meg truly unlimited broadband
**Unlimited calls to 01/02/03/0845/0870 calls
**line rental
All for £14.75 a month LOL

Posted by Dave2150 over 2 years ago
I'm always pleased when the line rental increases. More money for BT to invest in the network, faster broadband speeds for all!
Posted by csimon over 2 years ago
Competition and the free private market increases quality and forces down prices for the consumer. WRONG! It increases dividends for shareholders.
Posted by csimon over 2 years ago
@Dave2150 BT only "invest" in their network when it suits them to do so, i.e. where it will provide a huge profit and they already have the funds to do so. Otherwise, they go cap in hand to government to provide "subsidies" and wait to be offered "contracts" on a plate. Increases like this go straight to the shareholders' pockets, to increase ARPU. I don't see BT coming any near my bit iof the network - do you really think this latest increase will persuade them to install FFTC/FTTP in my area?
Posted by undecidedadrian over 2 years ago
@Gman

Sounds like creaky copper has been banned and has registered a new ID
Posted by BBSlowcoach over 2 years ago
Underlines the mess BT is in. The line rental increses at 31%+ since 2008 is more than twice the rate of my pension increase over the same period. Interestingly, the dividend paid to BT shareholders has declined 47%. So where has the increased cashflow gone - Boardroom salaries and bonus's?
Posted by Teefenn1 over 2 years ago
I don't see the problem as there are two companies that offer landline for less than £10 including free evening & weekend calls - Yourcalls.net & Primus. Their evening calls start at 6:00pm too, unlike BT. There seems to be a misconception among some that you need a BT landline for adsl to non cable ISPs and non fully unbundled ISPs. The pysical line yes, but you don't have to pay the bill to greedy and incompetent BT. I switched to YourCalls.net 3 years ago and I still pay £9.44 line rental even though it's now £9.99 to new customers.
Posted by undecidedadrian over 2 years ago
@BBSlowcoach

Increased Boardroom salaries although high do not run into the amount of money that you say has changed by.

The simple fact is that it is costing more and more to run a company with all it's costs. BT is not a particulary diverse company compated to some and so hasn't got much choice where to try and claw back some of it's lost revenue.
Posted by edkiller over 2 years ago
many years ago instead of a call set up fee we had a minimum call charge levied against every call. with inclusive calls bundles you don't pay anything up to the first hour. line rental is 50 pence per day. coffee at work is 75 pence a cup.
Posted by brianzion about 1 year ago
there is one good thing bt offer

We also offer Line Rental Saver, where you pay for a year upfront and get an equivalent monthly price of £10.75. This means you can save more than £56.50 over a full year on the new line rental price.