Free YouView box for TalkTalk Plus customers
Thursday 26 July 2012 10:34:07 by Andrew Ferguson

TalkTalk when it bounced into the mainstream broadband market in 2006 with its launch of 'free' broadband, looks set to do something similar with the launch of its free YouView set-top box for its TalkTalk Plus customers.

YouView launched only a few weeks ago, with some criticism over the price of the set-top box, but it seems the £299 retail price is no barrier to TalkTalk offering for free the set-top box which combines FreeView HD with catch up TV players, movies on demand, LoveFilm instant and other OTT services. New customers receive the free box in exchange for signing an 18 month telephone/broadband contract, existing TalkTalk Plus customers will have to agree to a new 24 month contract.

The free set-top box includes 12 months subscription to LoveFilm instant. The box will also allow customers to access Sky Sports, Sky Movies and the basic Sky channels on a flexible pay per month basis. There is a pre-registration system for those wanting to take TalkTalk up on the offer.

The free set-top box, is not totally free, as there is a £50 installation fee, which will get an installer attending your property to make sure the new set-top box has reliable internet access. Only those broadband connections that run at 3 Mbps or faster will be able to use the new service, and part of the install visit is to try and optimise internal telephone wiring to get the best speeds possible. In the future the install visit may become optional.

The financial results reveal that the set-top boxes will cost around £140 at the volume they are likely to be buying, hence the contract tie-ins, so that the firm can recover the cost over a period of time, and also reduce churn.

With the UK now having Virgin Media, Sky, BT and TalkTalk all offering triple play bundles of TV, telephone and broadband, 2012 represents the most vibrant year for consumer choice in the entertainment sector. The roll-out of faster fibre broadband options now gain a new importance to ensure that this level of competition continues, and households will be able to watch mulitple IPTV streams at the same time.

Comments

Posted by acpsd775 over 4 years ago
you didn't mention little big one they offer a TV service BB and phone although i suppose there only in south Yorkshire so may not count.
Posted by babis3g over 4 years ago
Nice move from TT offering the box free
Posted by herdwick over 4 years ago
TT Plus is £14.50 line rental + £14.50 per month, for the curious.
Posted by offcs over 4 years ago
You could make the article clearer that the extra channels are only for Talktalk customers, and not available for all Youview customers.
£30 for a months Sky Sport. I will stick to getting more channels on my iPad for £4.99 per month.
Posted by Bolverk over 4 years ago
Seems a bit fishy to me that they are charging less for this TV,BB & Phone Bundle than they are charging for stand alone BB (£15.31)I for one am getting sick of being changed from one account (Unlimited)to one Restricted (40Gb) with no warning or any communication from the company, if I can find a supplier that can offer BB for better value I would move so fast there would be a vapor trail.
Posted by searcher100 over 4 years ago
Well Im happy with this news, was away for a few days and email in box informed me as a + customer they were making me a priority customer and sending me a free box and no increase in cost other than installation. So its goodbye Sky go F*** yourself as my box is a piece of junk and the signal is S*** in bad weather conditions.
Posted by heritage80 over 4 years ago
I would be more than happy to adopt TT YouView box. I would be even happier if TT could give me the 3Mbps to use it as opposed to the 2Mbps it gives me!!!
Posted by lelboy over 4 years ago
searcher100. We're all supposedly grown-up on these forums. Do you have any idea how sad you look - effing and blinding?
My Sky box isn't a piece of junk & my signal doesn't disappear in bad weather: I set it up. I don't understand why you talk like that - sad.
Posted by pigfister over 4 years ago
@ lelboy, everyone i know in north devon where i live cant stand any of the digital options. we have no cable so are left with the forced downgrade to the not so free "freeview" which, has poor reception & constant break up of signal due to the reduced diffraction to that of analogue, varying amounts of channels & now removal of HD due to it not being commercially viable, reduction of watchable channels so freeview could add rabbit, gay rabbit & plaboy & other sell you junk channels, & removal of teletext.
Posted by pigfister over 4 years ago
@ lelboy continued:

or sky which breaks up every time it rains, snows, or has extremes in atmospheric pressure, forces you to purchase chanels that are free on freeview & constantly repeats the same rubbish with about 50 add breaks throughout the hour show ur watching. this is the same for my friends & family that live in birmingham, london & scotland.