BT HomeHub 3 misbehaving for BT Infinity customers
Sunday 01 July 2012 13:06:31 by Andrew Ferguson

The BT HomeHub 3 (HH3) was performing reasonably for BT Retail customers until the launch of Infinity 2, but since then it seems a bug has arisen either due to the extra load of handling faster throughput or a firmware upgrade. This bug manifests itself with Ethernet based connections only providing a speed of around 1 Mbps, where as the devices using wireless are able to still go as fast as the wireless network and underlying FTTC/P connection will allow them.

An important point to make, is that this bug only appears to affect people on the Infinity products, customers using the HH3 on an ADSL2+ service are unaffected. A solution was said to be in test back on 22nd June 2012, but posters on our own forums are still seeing the problem. In this specific post there is some suggestion that the TR-069 process that allows a broadband provider to remotely update/interrogate their hardware could possibly be part of the problem.

The general advice for people when experiencing the problem is either to connect via wireless or reboot the Home Hub. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will surface quickly from BT Retail, people are very much watching and waiting for it.

Comments

Posted by cyberdoyle over 4 years ago
The HH3 at the office is fine, guess that's on adsl2+ anyway.
Friends have been having issues with the HH2 and a long call with the helpdesk resulted in a remote firmware upgrade, it took nearly an hour on phone but it got sorted. Dehli is cool once they understand what you are saying.
Once it was fixed the laptop could surf with wifi or wired, but the ipad etc needed network resets and reboots. (settings, general)
Posted by Fellwalker over 4 years ago
That must be why my internet was so bad a month or so ago. I rebooted my HH3 and it came back to full speed.
Posted by micksea173 over 4 years ago
I am on my third HH3 and modem. Since upgrading to infinity 2 I have had nothing, but problems. Slow speed dropping to as lower as 23 meg download and 8 meg upload instead of 76meg upload and 15 meg upload. BT need to get this problem sorted out...
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
Drops to 23 Meg, are thought more likely to be issues with the BT Wholesale WBC network, rather than the HomeHub itself.

This bug is pretty clear, in that its 1Mbps and no more from Ethernet once it happens.
Posted by stanman24 over 4 years ago
HH3 does not work with whs2011 upnp

absolute pain to set up
Posted by RobFlet over 4 years ago
The last lot of BT network maintenance in the North of England caused my speed to drop from 60 mbps to 0.69 mbps. At the same time my Ip Profile was also dropped to 49.9 mbps from 65 mbps. Reconnecting the HH3 (via hub manager) got my speed back to 47 mbps. The DLM has just raised my IPP to 50.65 (so nice of it!). When I first got 80/20 Infinity by speeds were 73 mbps down and 14 mbps up. I now get 47/8 ... not best pleased to say the least. Also, BT cannot change the IPP, BTW has to do that, which means you have to book and engineer visit to a non existant fault!
Posted by eago over 4 years ago
I have BT Infinity HomeHub 3 and have had nothing but trouble since it was installed over a year ago. The hub has been changed 4 times and the complete package twice. On some days it doesn't work at all or the speed is so slow it's not worth using. BT do not seem to have an answer. Does anyone else in SE London have this problem?
Posted by NW11851 over 4 years ago
I'm in Crawley, West Sussex. I was on Option 1 and it seemed fine. Then I 'upgraded to the 80/20 service and it slowed.

The Indian call centre was useless. The UK crew were equally rubbish. Eventually one of them tried to tell me that my problems were due to radio/wireless interference from up to 5 miles away!

I downgraded to Option 1, rerceived a refund, waitied a while and upgraded back to 80/20.

On the first couple of days the d/l speed achieved 50+, npow it's around 23!. BT disclaim all responsibility/interest.

I'm paying for the 80/250 service yet only achieve 20/10!!!
Posted by mbailey over 4 years ago
When the clocks changed back in March a bug was reported with the timing used on the HH3 and at the time BT said a new release of firmware would be available soon. Over 3 months later nothing.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an update from BT!
Posted by RobFlet over 4 years ago
My history is thus:

Infinity 40/10 ... got 37.8 mbps down and 9mbps up - solid for 4 months

Upgraded to Infinity 2 80/20 ... got 73.8 mbps down and 14 mbps up ... great choice i thought ..

Now I am running at 49 mbps down and 7 mbps up.

Not a whole heap better than 40/10 for the download and the upload is worse ...

And, whenever there's a resync my speed drops to under 1 meg until I restart/reconnect the HH3.

This is not acceptable for what I am paying - I know it's an "UP TO" service, what I feel annoyed about is the fact that it's also a DOWN TO service ...
Posted by webchem over 4 years ago
I upgraded to Infinity 2 as soon as it became available. I have had to reboot twice due to exactly the problem above, but this really isn't a deal breaker. Although I don't get anywhere near the 80 Mbps download (get just over 41), this is significantly faster than what I had before AND stupidly we live right at the edge of the range of the green boxes (300m), it is a good service!
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
@RobFlet

That'll teach ya to go with BT :P
Posted by RobFlet over 4 years ago
@Otester: no real choice :-(. With Orange via a BT offnet I was lucky to get 135k-160k (yes "K").

Finally got around 2.5-3.0 megs with O2 with a NM of 2.5, but had to cope with maybe 10-15 disconnects per DAY.

Only BT were offering FTTC at the time

No cable here.

It must be nice to have choices - but when you do not the least one can expect is a service close to what you pay for. No ISP is perfect I know.

Today ... 0.7down/1.67up ... until a hub restart.
Posted by nredwood over 4 years ago
Affects FTTP using the HH3B as well
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
@RobFlet

You seem to have a knack for picking bad ISP's.

Go look up Top10 on Ispreview, pick one of them.
Posted by RobFlet over 4 years ago
Doesn't work like that, our exchange only had a few providers, and with a 59db loss line and running at 15db NM or more, there wasn't much chance of anything over 1 meg.

Must be nice to live in an area where there is real choice. We were one of the "slow/not spots.