Openreach announces further 98 exchanges for its full and partial fibre roll-out
Tuesday 26 June 2012 11:12:22 by Andrew Ferguson

A further 98 exchange areas has been announced as part of the £2.5bn fibre roll-out by Openreach. The press release suggests a mixture of full fibre (FTTH) and partial fibre (FTTC) solutions, but there is at this time no indication of which areas will get the future-proof full fibre solution.

List of 98 exchange areas
TURGIS GREEN CHINEHAM Hampshire UDDINGSTON South Lanarkshire
UTTOXETER Staffordshire WARRINGTON Cheshire
WESTBURY -ON- TRYM City of Bristol WHITBY North Yorkshire
WHITEHAVEN Cumbria WHITTLESEY Cambridgeshire
WISBECH Cambridgeshire WISHAW North Lanarkshire
WOODGATE West Midlands WYTHENSHAWE Greater Manchester

The 98 exchanges represent some 800,000 homes and businesses, but the suggestion from the press release is that there are still more announcements to be made as BT approaches its 2014 target of passing two thirds of UK premises.

The caveat that needs emphasising is that within each exchange area there will be some premises not served, or individual cabinets that do not meet the economic case for enabling with fibre broadband. The best way to track progress beyond physically spotting the upgrade work in your area, is to use the BT Wholesale availability checker using your telephone number. Openreach has its own superfast website, but it does not give cabinet level feedback to consumers.

Openreach when it originally announced its fibre programme, talked of around 10 to 15% of the UK getting FTTP as part of the roll-out, and while we know of areas which appear to have the fibre tubing installed, there are delays in the full fibre (FTTP) products being available. With the July 2nd launch date for FTTP rapidly approaching, hopefully this will change, and Openreach address those areas which have been patiently waiting.

Comments

Posted by jchannon about 1 year ago
What a surprise, mine isn't on there!
Posted by zhango about 1 year ago
Looking at the map for Broadband Notspots, surely these people deserve actually getting Broadband before existing Broadband customers are upgraded?
Posted by Borisvon about 1 year ago
yep not surprised to see my exchange left out again there busy doing all the virgin areas first as as we don't have virgin we won't get bt fibre either...
fuming!!!
Posted by chrysalis about 1 year ago
mine pulled back 3 months, I guess I am on the delay 3 months merry go round now that many have complained about.
Posted by New_Londoner about 1 year ago
Difficult to see how comments about this being Virgin areas only hold any water, likewise those about it being limited to major urban areas. From the list above it is clear neither are correct.

However any expectations about seeing "final third" exchanges listed are unlikely to be fulfilled until the BDUK contracts start to be placed. The harsh reality is that many of the more rural areas are just not economically viable for BT, Virgin or any other company to go to without some form of public funding.
Posted by nuwebb about 1 year ago
after working on fttc for 5 years.im a happy bunny,my exchange is on that list....wooooooh
Posted by otester about 1 year ago
@New_Londoner

Just because it may be suburban exchange doesn't mean they aren't cherry picking.
Posted by Borisvon about 1 year ago
@new_londoner
all I have to do is drive around my area a look for virgin's cabs and then see shiney bt fibre boxes in the same area or look at the maps giving a list of providers in those areas.
I'm not rural as the end of my street (on a different exchange) is bt fibre and that area has virgin as well..
I'm not even too bothered about 50 or 100 meg I would just like something above 1 -1.5!
Posted by rayvon about 1 year ago
It doesn't have to be a rural exchange to get overlooked.My exchange is less than 3 miles from a major city centre an I live in a less than 2mb spot yet no plans to upgrade my exchange,Luckily I'm in the South Yorkshire Digital Region area.BT are cherry picking exchanges there is no doubt about that
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
80% of the UK is urban by DEFRA definition, so two-thirds will not cover even that.
Posted by adslmax about 1 year ago
only 98 exchanges named ? BT should do better than this, 400-500+ exchanges I reckon the next list will be until January 2013 with less than 50 exchanges! BT are a waste of time, they don't care if you are still waiting. I am not surprise Bridgnorth was ahead of my exchange Cuckoo Oak. Thanks a bunch BT.
Posted by Spectre_01 about 1 year ago
ROCK FERRY!!! YEAH BABY! About time :D
Posted by krol about 1 year ago
What it doesn't mention is all the previously announced exchanges that they've delayed at the same time. Mine has been put back 3 months from the last update.
Posted by Spectre_01 about 1 year ago
Atleast its on the list.
Posted by GMAN99 about 1 year ago
Mine too Krol, just checked and its now Sept 2012

Oh well :|
Posted by HiPing about 1 year ago
@krol
Yep, mine too (Selby). I was looking forward to ordering fibre at the start of July (activation 30 June), rechecked yesterday to see its been put back to 30 Sep. My 2Mb line is getting rather long in the tooth now.
Posted by chilting about 1 year ago
At this rate we will all be dead and buried before BT give full coverage.
Posted by GMAN99 about 1 year ago
Well it might be Sep 2012 on the announcement but I've just seen contractors digging up the road and a van with BT cabs on the back, I asked them to confirm and yes its for BT fibre broadband! :o)

Still probably months off ordering but its a step closer
Posted by KevG123 about 1 year ago
Not on the list, not a surprise..

I will be reliant on Norfolk CC and BDUK so a few more years of bband misery to go
Posted by pghuke about 1 year ago
This makes me wonder why Virgin have never been pressed into opening up their network to other providers.
Posted by macbits2000 about 1 year ago
As usual I see no exchanges in the NE listed. I wonder when they will get to C. Durham
Posted by rgenung about 1 year ago
Not a single Suffolk exchange!

cf: my MP