BT equipment failures cause outages in Sheffield and London
Thursday 21 June 2012 15:37:17 by John Hunt

Broadband users in Sheffield and London have both been affecting by problems in their areas today. Equipment failure in Sheffield resulted in some BT Retail customers, both residential and business, seeing a loss of service. This also affected some BT Wi-Fi hotspots that connect back through the Sheffield equipment. BT Retail have advised that users still seeing problems should be able to resolve them by turning their BT Hub off and then back on.

In London, BT's Faraday POP, one of BT's 20 core network point's of presence on it's 21st Century Network (21CN) has also seen an unrelated equipment failure which has caused the loss of service for some broadband users serviced through this site. Multiple ISP's are reporting problems with broadband lines in London and the South of England being down, and this could also be affecting capacity generally through the network.

Comments

Posted by driz about 1 year ago
Not sure if this is related - maybe - but I am in southwest London and get routed via Sheffield - which means an additional 15ms from my first hop (presumably in London to other London sites). I can only hope this outage is related to them fixing this.
Posted by driz about 1 year ago
Forgot to mention I'm on Infinity.
Posted by Alchemyfire about 1 year ago
I had issues this morning, seems to have resolved though, although some site are incredibly slow to load. I'm in Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire region
Posted by cornasdf about 1 year ago
I am on infinity as well in SE England (sevenoaks area). My connection went down around 10 am. I called around 1pm and they said area outage including my line, ETTR ~ 3 hours. presumably the same issue?
Posted by AndrueC about 1 year ago
I'm with IDNet and my connection has been poor for several days now. Latency is a lot lower than normal but throughput is awful.
Posted by john (Favicon staff member) about 1 year ago
@AndrueC: perhaps you switched from interleaving to fast-mode. Interleaving is better for stability but about doubles the latency.
Posted by AndrueC about 1 year ago
Dunno. Doesn't explain the throughput though. 80Mb/s profile and 30MB/s profile sounds very wrong to me.