Utility Warehouse told to not make lowest price claims without proof
Wednesday 30 May 2012 11:34:03 by Andrew Ferguson

A single complaint to the ASA has resulted in the complaint being upheld by the ASA against Utility Warehouse. The complaint was over a letter that claimed "The UK's cheapest Home Phone The UK's cheapest Home Phone and Broadband bundle The UK's cheapest Mobile tariffs The UK's cheapest standard Gas and Electricity".

The complainant felt the price claims were misleading, and questioned whether they could be substantiated. The Utility Warehouse response is interesting in that they admit that it is impossible to exhaustively check the prices and provide comparisons, and there may be deals they are unaware of. Also Utility Warehouse says they do not advertise direct to consumers, but rely on independent authorised distributors and in the case of this complaint it was one of these distributors that was using marketing material supplied by Utility Warehouse.

How independent these distributors will be when to quote Telecom Plus (the company behind Utility Warehouse) 'Every time your customers make a phone call, switch on a light, turn on the heating, or go online... you could be getting paid' is difficult to know.

Posted by maxsteam over 4 years ago
Utility Warehouse are not an honest organisation. I foolishly signed up to an electricity account with them. They got the meter readings wrong so I disputed their bills. They went to court without telling me the hearing date and they lied under oath in court so that they could disconnect the supply.
Posted by ianwright78 over 4 years ago
We went live with there Internet & Phone 12 Days ago and have had none stop problems, and our speed is half what it use to be. I have requested to cancel our account under Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. be interesting to see what hapens
Posted by bobatbanktop over 4 years ago
I have been with Utility Warehouse for over 4 years and their customer service has been brilliant. I have trouble with my broadband but it is the BT infrastructure at fault not UW. They work tirelessly with BT to give me the best result possible. Neighbours on BT have far more trouble getting satisfaction than I do.
Posted by harrassed over 4 years ago
We have been with the Utility Warehouse from Day 1 when all they could offer was the offer of lanline calls, and have added in mobile, gas, electricity as they came along and have introduced so many friends and businesses. There will always be the type of person just looking for a way to complain about something. The contracts are always on a monthly basis. The only problem we had with Brodband turned out to be in the BT exchange where, surprise surprise they are perhps not too keen on UW customers!
Posted by MikeCR over 4 years ago
Nothing is to be gained from comments like those of maxsteam. Quite why TB felt it proper to allow someone to accuse UW or anyone else of being dishonest and lying under oath - both of which are extremely serious offences - is beyond my comprehension. In my view the only thing it has done is to call into question the value of having (presumably) unmoderated comments.