Sky adds 212,000 broadband customers in last quarter
Wednesday 02 May 2012 09:50:03 by Andrew Ferguson

Sky appears to be the bundle provider to rule them all with its broadband service adding 212,000 customers in the last quarter, taking the provider to a total of 3,863,000 broadband customers. The average number of products per customer is 2.6, which with the requirement for customers to take Sky line rental to get the broadband is no real surprise.

The ratio of fully unbundled to shared LLU customers continues to grow, with 2.4 million on full LLU and 1.2 million on a shared service. The remaining 227,000 customers are on the off-net product, which is provided by BT Wholesale where Sky has no LLU presence. The Sky LLU network continues to grow, adding 57 exchanges in the quarter, a total of 1,964 exchanges (covering 83% of UK homes).

"Better experience: thanks to a start-of-the-art all fibre-core network. Sky is the only ISP to guarantee not to manage the speeds of any customer on its network. Sky's totally unlimited service is free from the fair use policies that other broadband providers use to slow speeds down at peak times to alleviate contention in their networks."

Extract from Sky Press Release

This stance with regards to unlimited was at one time the norm for UK broadband services, and over the years as usage levels increased and signup rates decreased many providers hit a point where less extra capacity is added, and natural contention kicks in. Sky has seen this natural contention affecting exchanges, though to date has always upgraded capacity. The fact that the Sky group has seen profits increase by 15% in the last year to £908m suggests that the combination of bundling they have will allow for many more upgrades to their network to cope with growing usage. The great unknown now is how popular will the £20 and £30 fibre products be with consumers who are looking for extra speed, so that a household can watch Sky Go on a laptop, while downloading a box-set via Sky AnyTime+ and also playing the latest blockbuster game online. Providing an 80/20 fibre product that meets the usage and speed expectations of Sky customers will not be an easy task.

Posted by jroadley over 4 years ago
While this news is always welcome - I would kill to have SKY's LLU service but they have yet to enable it onto my exchange in north Norfolk.

Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
I think Sky are the provider that is going to really kick off the FTTC uptake. If they can do an all you cat eat 80/20 product they'll be laughing.

I reckon they'll be able to to start with anyway but as more people sign up its going to take some serious money to keep the service running as it should.

Other ISP's will have to get on board with FTTC or fall by the wayside.
Posted by creakycopperline over 4 years ago
Well done sky.
Posted by oddsandmods over 4 years ago
Well done Sky, stick that in yer pipe Virgin
Posted by magicuk27 over 4 years ago
hurry up openreach and enable my cabinet for fttc service.
Posted by browney over 4 years ago
I moved from Virgin National to Sky last month and I no longer get peak time slow downs. As soon as I can get fiber i'll be taking out sky fiber.
Posted by comnut over 4 years ago
ROFL and when ALL of you have switched over to sky, they will feel the extra strain on their servers, and have to reduce their costs by slowing you down.... ROFL... :)
Posted by tthom over 4 years ago
Its a shame 'Sly' cram as many users as possible onto there equipment and cause conjestion.. After the experience my brother had with sky would rather a dongle than use them
Posted by PhilCoates over 4 years ago
For some of us the only option is a dongle!!!
Posted by Kr1s69 over 4 years ago
I think to be fair sky have managed their network in a way that has avoided congestion for a very long time. People have been saying for years that the unlimited service would result in slow downs but they've only recently materialised and have been acknowledged. Plenty of ISP's have denied issues existed rather than fixing them.....
Posted by meldrew over 4 years ago
Perhaps somebody will bring us unlimited Water, Gas, and Electricity too as all it does is come down a pipe or cable.....!!
Posted by Dave2150 over 4 years ago

Sky is not congested at all, why would so many subscribe to them if they 'crammed' as many users possible onto their equipment.

Sky will win subscribers over every other provider if they can keep up this all you can eat option!
Posted by mica over 4 years ago
Did anyone find the statement on "better experience" above in the press release? I could not find it anyway!
Posted by CaptainW over 4 years ago
@ mica - the better experience is here (there were 3 press releases that day ...

I can vouch for no slow downs as well - been with them for 4 or so years and been great, unlimited service - just hope they can keep it up :)
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
I can also vouch that Sky are very good, shame their is no FTTC in my area.

My only gripe is their line management, they seem to do some sort of forced sync profiling as my line is locked at 4000 sometimes dropping bellow, before with TT LLU it was anywhere between 4000-5500.