Sky soft launches Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
Wednesday 25 April 2012 16:30:30 by Andrew Ferguson

Rumours of a 80/20 fibre product from Sky are true. Sky now has available to new customers an up to 76 Mbps FTTC service with unlimited downloads, and uploads of up to 20 Mbps. The monthly fee is £30 a month, £10 more than the existing fibre product and you must take the Sky telephone line rental and a calls package.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro does not feature on the Sky website and is only available to order over the telephone, to those who do not have Sky broadband or fibre and the exchange is also unbundled by Sky. In the near future the product will be available to existing customers at which point we expect the Sky website to update.

Comments

Posted by Apilar over 5 years ago
Unlimited 80/20 without any shaping for a low monthly fee! Yay!
Posted by chalky123 over 5 years ago
Dearer than BT and not for existing broadband customers yet :o(
Posted by Lizzle over 5 years ago
I'd happily pay extra for this, although it sucks that it isn't offered to existing customers (who usually get the pointy end of the stick from Sky) yet. Pity all the nearby exchanges have been upgraded to FTTC or soon will be and mine isn't even scheduled.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@chalky123

It's more expensive because it's a better service.
Posted by omnius over 5 years ago
hummmm if they get rid of the crap router they make you use and either get one fit for purpose (the current is a hacked adsl one)/let you use your own then i would consider it. in my mind bt is still the best offering
Posted by orly2 over 5 years ago
@otester

What's better about it? It's 15% more than BT's offering...is it 15% better?
Posted by undecidedadrian over 5 years ago
I suppose if you want unmanaged p2p packets through the network then people will stump up the extra 15%.

There are people who are using in excess of 2TB a month on Sky and brag about it, so I expect when they go fibre they will be looking at passing that figure and then some.

15% to them is nothing given how much they consume.
Posted by chalky123 over 5 years ago
@otester

better only if u do p2p
Posted by olisun over 5 years ago
I am with Virgin and I called up to order and the guy on the phone tells me Fibre is not available to me where as I can get BT Infinity..... :-(
Posted by undecidedadrian over 5 years ago
@oilsun you need to be in a Sky LLU area as well, and the Sky equipment needs to be up to date.
Posted by fibrebunny over 5 years ago
As I understand it, Sky are rolling out updates of some sort to their LLU'd exchanges to enable fttc. Which should be completed by around June, I believe. No idea how accurate that is, as it is just what I read in a forum. But there do seem to be a few who can get infinity but no Sky fttc even on a LLU'd exchange.
Posted by undecidedadrian over 5 years ago
There also needs to be space on the LLU equipment, my brother is trying to get Sky BB and there isn't any space at the exchange and he is being offered connect until a space becomes avaliable.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
At the very least there GEA Fibre link from openreach fibre coming in from street needs to link to the Sky hardware.
Posted by Kr1s69 over 5 years ago
@Undecidedadrian - i think there only needs to be "space" ie a port available for ADSL service. For fibre your port is on BT hardware in the cabinet. This then connects to Sky's equipment at the exchange but not on a 1 for 1 arrangement.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
The connection at the exchange is a GEA Fibre link, which I mentioned
Posted by snadge over 5 years ago
Its also worth noting that living near an FTTC & SKY LLu exchange where sky fibre is available (GEA link installed) is also not enough, your cabinet has to be FTTC enabled, not all cabs in an FTTC area get enabled.