Sky Fibre launch date arrives
Thursday 12 April 2012 09:17:15 by Andrew Ferguson

Update 13/04/2012 - You can now order Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband on the Sky website.

Sky Fibre was announced some time ago, and today sees it launch, though as of 9am the same registration page is showing, rather than a full product listing.

Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre is an up to 40 Mbps downstream, up to 2 Mbps product, and uses an unbundled telephone line, so is only available if you take Sky line rental too. There is no requirement to buy any Sky satellite TV service. The service is a £20 a month, plus telephone line rental of £12.25. This £32.25 also gives you free evening and weekend calls, for another £5 you can have unlimited anytime calls.

While most exchanges where some cabinets can supply FTTC will have a Sky LLU presence, there will be some exchanges (most likely in parts of Cornwall) which Sky has not unbundled and thus the fibre product from Sky will not be available.

Sky Fibre at £32.25 and £37.25 compares favourable to BT Infinity unlimited at £40.60 and £45.50 (line rental included), though for those chasing faster upstream BT Infinity wins at up to 20 Mbps. Also for those close enough to the cabinet (within around 500m of the cabinet) speeds above 40 Mbps are possible as the service offers up to 80 Mbps downstream. The roll-out of VDSL2 profile 17a has taken place across the Openreach network already, so in reality only those already getting the full 40 Mbps download or 10 Mbps upload will see a boost from the 80 Mbps service.

Comments

Posted by lucifa42 over 5 years ago
Though the website isn't updated yet, looks like their Customer services have finally been trained in Fibre. Give 08442 411 818 a call, there are reports from Sky's forums of people ordering through there.
Posted by lucifa42 over 5 years ago
Also, the registration page now says 13th April :)
Posted by jamesking over 5 years ago
BT's offering isn't as expensive as you say in the article.

The line rental is significantly cheaper if you pay a year in advance. It would then work out at £36.75, onlt £4.50 more expensive than Sky. and for that you get to stick with a BT line, far faster download speeds and upload speeds.

I've been weighing up my options recently and BT is definitely the one to go for :)
Posted by pcoventry76 over 5 years ago
Not all of us can afford to do that - so best of luck to the poshos!
Posted by jamesking over 5 years ago
Fair enough, but over the first 3 months with Sky you pay £146.75 (including £50 set up charge) and over the first three months with BT you pay £196 including full line rental up front and delivery fee (first three months are £20 for FTTC). I guess stick with ADSL if it's a real stretch. With Sky as it's an unbundled LLU line, you'll also have to pay a hefty fee in future if you ever want to change to another phone or broadband provider.
Posted by TavistockSFB01822 over 5 years ago
With regulation you would have thought that the UK Government could have done a better job in ensuring superfast broadband to far more premises by now.

BT, Openreach are doing what they can and have promised, but the effort by BDUK is pitiful. All promise and little action.

Will I enjoy watching from the superslow sidelines for the next 5 years or so - No.
Posted by fibrebunny over 5 years ago
The Sky offering does seem very poor in comparison to infinity now. Also I should think many could save up a years line rental should they be unable to afford it straight away. Hardly the preserve of the err 'posho' as it is not truly that great an amount in the grand scheme of things.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
@TavistockSFB01822

Its available to 50% already, choice of two technologies cable/FTTC to around 30%.

Coverage hitting 2/3rds in 2014
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
@jamesking - did consider listing the 12 months in advance rental price, but not sure how many would take it.

Probably can get the price even lower if you use cashback sites etc too.
Posted by jamesking over 5 years ago
£85 cash back - it almost pays for the line rental itself. Not sure how much Sky offer as cash back.

I've stuck with sky for 4 years, but recently cancelled and have realised their service doesn't really have the value it appeats to have anyway!
Posted by Dangerous_Brian over 5 years ago
Just been on the phone to Sky and CS has clarified that Sky fibre is available to order from tomorrow - is this correct?
Posted by ccsnet over 5 years ago
Heres my take on costs vs comparible services - ie unlimited... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Auc0_79QXWLodE1pSC1Ya1hDWGlqNE1GSW1pMlFJb3c

It doesnt take any discounts in to consideration. T
Posted by ccsnet over 5 years ago
One thing to say is that I have not seen the final Sky cost so if any thing needs tweaking let me know. T
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@fibrebunny

-Better support.
-Better speeds.
-No rolling contract.
-No traffic shaping.

If your a poorper then go with BT/Pussnet.
Posted by oliver341 over 5 years ago
@Dangerous_Brian - according to this page it is available as of tomorrow: https://fibre.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/sky-fibre-broadband/
Posted by mcompton69 over 5 years ago
SKY YOU ARE A LOAD OF RUBBISH!!!
Phoned Sky 930 am, told that it wasn’t going live on website & online until 12pm try later (refused call back or a different/non premium rate phone line 2 call).
Used the online chat 2 info, very poor response clearly not aware of the product until i pushed, couldnt give me the correct upload (have ascertained that from above).
Called back 1230, told that it's not live yet & check website for future release, i corrected him & said it was supposed go live today, put on hold for 10 mins 2 be told its been put back until tomoz
A right cock up
Posted by fibrebunny over 5 years ago
@otester
One script monkey is much like another.
80/20 --> 40/2
Rolling contracts were scrapped, were they not?
Traffic shaping impacts p2p only. Usenet is seemingly unaffected. Really, who torrents any more?

Though whether BT can be trusted not to introduce further traffic shaping measures at a later date is an issue.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@fibrebunny

Is BT support even English? I know with Sky if you call out of normal office hours then you get Indian tech support, which to be fair was very competent if not more so than the English one.

Yeah you're right about rolling contracts, that's good to hear I guess.

With Sky it's a 12 month contract vs 18.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago

Interesting since with VM it does affect Usenet, I torrent over a VPN so I guess it wouldn't affect me anyways and torrent seems to have a future, tracker-less torrents etc. while Usenet is affected by DMCA's and in the Netherlands there has been quite a lot of lawsuits taking down indexers recently.

I guess if I had to make the choice now it would be difficult to not pick BT, but in a village which has only 2 LLU providers and no WBC, 100Mbps will probably be the universal standard by the time it comes here, or maybe LTE.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@mcompton69

Says 13th on their website...
Posted by russporter over 5 years ago
I registered interest in Sky Fibre, received a call on 29th March and my order was processed, goes live 17th April.
Posted by mcompton69 over 5 years ago
@otester
Yes, because today's go live date was a cock up (which my comments relate to) so they have changed the date on their website.
Simply change the date doesn't negate all the pain myself and other customers have experienced (check the other forums).
Therefore the comment related to this TBB news story.
Posted by mcompton69 over 5 years ago
@russporter
I registered my details before fibre became available in my area but no call from Sky, i dont think they want my money, I would prefer to stay with ADSL24 but £234 more expensive over 18 months than BT (including line rental) and they STILL cant confirm if the 80/20 upgrade will be free.....
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@mcompton

Stop being so impatient, only takes a minute to phone them.
Posted by m5rcc over 5 years ago
I have done the sums and I think people would be better off having Post Office as their home phone supplier and PlusNet fibre for their broadband. Combined it's a net £36/mth but for that, you get inclusive line rental, inclusive evening and weekend calls - to UK landlines and 0845/0870 numbers, inclusive weekend calls - to UK mobiles and our top 40 international destinations as well as upto 40MB fibre, albeit capped at 120GB/mth.
Posted by ukhardy071 over 5 years ago
@M5rcc

You are comparing an unlimited product with a not unlimited product

My household makes virtually no landline calls, there are often 9 people in the house at once. 6 here permanently

Our usage is high. We would exceed the 120 gb every single month.

If the product was unlimited I would have to agree

With any ISP it's easy to find a cheaper restricted (in terms of download allowance) provider on FTTC

If you try to compare unlimited with unlimited products sky is hard to beat.
Posted by m5rcc over 5 years ago
@ukhardy071

That is fine. I too would like a fully unlimited deal, however both BT and Sky's phone package is poor and I am not prepared to pay a net £40/mth, when I am paying £16/mth for the aforementioned deal, albeit with unlimited 5MB.
Posted by Alex121 over 5 years ago
Shame my cabinet's FTTC date got delayed until June, now I'll have to put up with 3mbps for even longer.

Other side of town have mostly been live since march.
Posted by cyberdoyle over 5 years ago
It isn't fibre broadband unless its fibre to the home. Just sayin. Sky should be pulled up for this advertising.
Posted by F022Y over 5 years ago
And i think it is fibre broadband as long as it falls under one of the following definitions of the service.

FTTN - Fibre-to-the-node
FTTC - Fibre-to-the-curb / Fiber to the cabinet
FTTB - Fibre-to-the-basement
FTTH / FTTP - Fibre-to-the-home / premises
FTTD - Fibre-to-the-desk

How should sky be pulled up for advertising? Because of your lack of understanding of how fibre is delivered?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
@cyberdoyle - Short memory the ASA said FTTN from Virgin Media was allowed to call itself fibre because it had more fibre than competing ADSL products.
Posted by Kr1s69 over 5 years ago
Still no signs of a launch :(
Posted by Flapper_MK over 5 years ago
"Sky Fibre Unlimited" is now being listed on the website http://www.sky.com/shop/customer-shop/broadband-talk/
Posted by Flapper_MK over 5 years ago
but its not letting me add it to my basket! GAH!
Posted by fender1105 over 5 years ago
I registered a few months back and got a call from sky asking if i would like to order i had it installed on the 30/3/12 and i am getting the full download and upload speed and the service is good but the problem with sky is they dont tell no one anything not even there c/s but if you ring them and ask to speak to fibre department you might be able to order
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
@fender1105 should be easier now as it appears on their product pages, we added a link to the news item
Posted by GMAN99 over 5 years ago
@cyberdoyle so using your debatable analogy you yourself are on fibre broadband as you have fibre to the home? Never mind a load of you share a 2Mbps wireless uplink at the back end.

That horse has bolted, the ASA didn't have a problem with Virgin calling their product fibre, nor BT, they won't with Sky or TT or anyone else
Posted by oliver341 over 5 years ago
You gotta love the ASA. They've scared everyone off from quoting "up to" speeds on their website, so it's now a whole load more difficult to compare ISPs who cap their speeds, such as Sky who (I think!) cap their fibre upload to 2 meg. Thanks ASA.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
If a provider by omission encourages people to sign up then it can still breach rules.

So those providers using just superlatives might be forced to display numbers. Alas rulings take many weeks/months
Posted by oliver341 over 5 years ago
They probably want to give the customer as little information as possible, until a phone number is entered. Bingo, now they can hassle the customer with phone calls.
Posted by undecidedadrian over 5 years ago
Hmmm and no transfer from other FTTC suppliers just ASDL and cable customers.

That's in the very small print on the legal bit.

I wonder if they don't have the capacity to handle too many customers, especially the mad torrenters who operate 24/7.
Posted by offcs over 5 years ago
@Alex121 I am in exactly the same boat as you. You're not in Shrewsbury by any chance? I only recently moved into my flat because I was going to get fibre. The cabinet is there so I wonder why it's not connected?
Posted by XLCR over 5 years ago
Re: BT discount for paying in advance- Sky also do that, so that might alter a few sums. Also Sky's £5 talk unlimited bundle includes unlimited international calls - neither BT nor Virgin get anywhere close to that!
It's odd that some people are having trouble signing up- I called Sky on the off-chance on the 4th as the BT checker now showed that I could get infinity, and Sky set me up right away- didn't even charge me a £50 set-up fee. New router arrived this morning, engineer booked for later in the week.
Posted by Alex121 over 5 years ago
@offcs Yes I am in Shrewsbury. Its frustrating becuase the BT openreach checker said my connection/cabinet was going to be enabled in late march and I was going order sky fibre when it launched, but it has since changed to June. Yet driving around I can see other cabinets with "fibre is here" posters on them.

As you probably know many people are on very long phone lines in this area which we are one of the slowest towns in the country for ADSL.
Posted by fastman over 5 years ago
may be have been a delay on your cab
Posted by AspieMum over 5 years ago
I'm with Sky but I doubt I could order Sky Fibre- I doubt its available on our exchange. I'll be stuck with 1.7MBs and not always reliable broadband. Our exchange is officially rural although being squeezed in between a city and a town that are only 10 miles apart we are not what most people think of when it comes to rural. We're approximately 2 miles from our exchange.
Posted by Flapper_MK over 5 years ago
OK have called sky asking why I cant add it to my package and they state they currently only have bandwidth/coverage to about 30% of the possible "fibre" areas... excellent news...