McDonald's opts for five year deal with O2 for WiFi
Tuesday 03 April 2012 17:40:01 by Andrew Ferguson

The free WiFi at McDonald's 1,200 outlets will be switching to an O2 based service before the Olympics get underway this summer.

The fast food chain has been offering free WiFi since 2007, and some 750,000 are logging onto the WiFi each month, though when you consider that the chain sees some 3 million people pass through its doors each day the number is less astounding.

O2 WiFi has announced some 3,000 hotspots across the UK already this year, and this deal with a company that has been offering WiFi for so long may prove the key to substantially increasing that number.

Comments

Posted by fibrebunny over 5 years ago
You'd have to be a very regular user to make it worthwhile signing up. Same with supermarkets and their free wifi. Who shops casually in a supermarket? I want to get through the gauntlet of careering trolleys and queues of doom. Not spend three hours googling whilst fingering a cucumber.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
McDonald's is different to Tesco, certainly when in US, well outside 3G coverage areas, McD's provides the cheapest form of broadband. Also if you have a little one playing in the playroom, what else is there to do for 45 minutes, food is gone in a few minutes.

Even in UK, its handy when travelling to know that you can grab something and check email/twitter at the same time.
Posted by acpsd775 over 5 years ago
@fibrebunny possibly business people who go in regularly i mean if i was a biz person i wouldn't chose mc d to be my first place of a dinner brake or do any work, But ive seen quite a few people in suits munching a big mac while doing some spread sheets and stuff on their laptops during dinner hour

Ash
Posted by pcoventry76 over 5 years ago
Sky didn't want maccyds when they bought the cloud - good riddence more for me and my free access innit :)
Posted by tugger over 5 years ago
I personally have found Mac's a godsend. I've just swapped to btbroadband (yes, I can hear you saying ....why?) for the btfon experience, which isn't happening. BT lost my b'band within 2 days and I'm resorting to going to Macs, about 1/2 a mile away to download my daily rag to my kindle. For me, Cloud is brilliant so if it improves with O2, great.