O2 and Orange still to adopt new speed description rules
Tuesday 03 April 2012 10:57:20 by Andrew Ferguson

Of the biggest six providers, BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media appear to have adjusted their broadband promotional material and listings on comparison sites to be in line with the new ASA rules. O2 is distinctly lagging, with up to 20 Meg still listed for its unbundled services, and up to 8 Meg for its off-net products. Orange could be considered compliant on its own website, simply by avoiding mention of speeds apart from a personal estimate for your existing telephone line, but it appears to have not told third party sites what speed they should show in package descriptions.

The story is very different amongst the medium to small providers, Eclipse has opted to promote its average broadband speed of 12.3 Mbps, and at the time of publication Plusnet was still to change its pages. Of the other providers we've not seen any changes other than perhaps omitting speed, it may well be they are waiting to see what the big providers do, and follow the consensus approach.

Where providers don't mention any form of speed, they run the risk that casual shoppers who have grown weary of entering their phone number (which can lead to sales calls with some providers) will simply skip them. This is particularly the case when estimates given to consumers have such a wide variation, e.g. if I was getting 6 Mbps now, would I really want to sign up to a provider that suggested a range of 2.4 Mbps to 7.6 Mbps.

Update 10pm: We now have figures for Plusnet and their website has updated to reflect them.

Comments

Posted by undecidedadrian over 2 years ago
Given that I have just recieved a "your bill is ready" email from O2 and it was addressed to the wrong person.

If they can't even get a simple mail merge right what makes anybody think that their website will be correct?
Posted by westli1 over 2 years ago
I really don't see how BT changing their website from "Up to 20Mb" to "Up to 16Mb" is a step forward. The majority of customers still won't get 16Mb.
Posted by Dixinormous over 2 years ago
Could be worse, Be are still advertising impossible speeds under the current figures of 24/1.3 and 24/2.5.

I say impossible because the new guidelines are around IP throughput and 24Mb of IP throughput, 3MB/s, is impossible on ADSL2+
Posted by chrysalis over 2 years ago
I noly checked BT but from what I can see they are not compliant, their website says up to 16 meg on the broadband packages page. No way 10% get that sync speed.
Posted by chrysalis over 2 years ago
I ched aaisp also and they dont mention speed at all (I guess preffered to showing lower speeds) but aaisp are at least compliant.
Posted by leexgx over 2 years ago
any one on ADSL is lucky if they ever see more then 10mb (or 5mb) lock speeds,

the FTTC changes all that thought as the up to 40mb is not that far off for most I have seen as most are quite close to the cab(bt site seems to Guess the speed right as well)
Posted by nredwood over 2 years ago
BE's website has now been changed