BT Wholesale outage affects multiple providers
Friday 30 March 2012 12:22:03 by Andrew Ferguson

Outages on BT Wholesale are generally rare, but from looking at our BQM graphs for a number providers reveals a widespread issue affecting customers on providers like Zen, IDNet, Eclipse Internet and Plusnet around 11:15am today.

For some connections the fault appears to be resolved, but there are signs that some connections are still offline. In some cases an IP address that is not in the normal providers range has been assigned e.g. 172.16.3.223. This generally happens when you are connected to the local telephone exchange, but the link inside the BT Wholesale network that authenticates your login with your provider is broken.

AAISP Incidents Page contains more detail on the problem and is updated as the situation develops, which at 12:15 was that 20CN services are back, but 21CN is still offline for those affected.

For business users, it reflects the importance of keeping a backup connection, that uses a different wholesaler at least, e.g. a LLU service.

Update 1:35pm: It would appear that the majority of 21CN based connections are now back up and connected properly.

Comments

Posted by chrish16 over 5 years ago
I thought my router or server had just gone off :) yet another BT outage.

Is it worth my going to Sky? Just unsure having to take my phone also, I had a problem getting off a TalkTalk full LLU line at my old house and having to pay and left with no broadband and phone for 2 weeks.
Are Sky really reliable and have fast connection always?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago

Here is my BQM - oddly not packet loss, but no data. Most others I checked show packet loss.

Sky? Just done a full LLU to full LLU to them, and was smooth enough. Cost more than SMPF to full LLU though.

Speeds - fine here once the DLM sorted itself out. But there can be local exchange issues if you have a good few who are downloading the internet for posterity.
Posted by mervl over 5 years ago
Interesting. I have one connection that uses BTw which has about 5 outages pm (for a few mins up to a couple of hours), and one using Sky's backhaul with about 1 outage per month usually less than half an hour. Strangely I don't get the usual "national" BT outages but at different times, though usually the same day, but earlier, like early this morning today.
Posted by meldrew over 5 years ago
I'm with Plusnet and the connection was definitely "iffy" mid morning. Decided to reboot my router but could not immediately remember my password so by the time I had remembered it everything was working. What I really would like is for PN to automatically send a network message saying what was wrong (it looked like a BT router with a tracert check)so we don't all waste our time!
Posted by ruralidiot over 5 years ago
Although this incident has now been declared closed I have had 3 losses of about 3 minutes duration this evening. My ISP is Eclipse. Lets hope BT get it sorted completely by tomorrow.