Early 4G roll-out by Everything Everywhere consultation lengthened
Tuesday 27 March 2012 15:57:58 by Andrew Ferguson

There has been some vocal opposition from other mobile providers towards allowing Everything Everywhere utilise the 1800 MHz spectrum it has for an early roll-out of 4G technology.

The original provisional conclusion by Ofcom was that this would not distort competition, but a consultation period was started that would have ended on 18th April 2012, this has been extended now to the 8th May. One presumes to give to give objectors further time to assemble their case.

While this may delay any 2012 roll-out of 4G, this should not delay the auction process, which is already late enough. Though tit for tat type games between providers could mean that commercial bickering rather than the slow pace of official procedures will delay it..

Comments

Posted by otester over 5 years ago
It's 3.9G, not 4G!!!
Posted by ahockings over 5 years ago
Get lost Vodafone. Just because you haven't invested enough in your 3G network AND.... YOU DON'T SEEM TO HAVE PAID YOUR TAX BILL!!... HELLO!!! you think you can slow the whole thing down. I waited 3 years for you to bring 3G to the rural South West and STILL we don't have any. Are we to expect the same crappy coverage with 4G?? Are we? I think so. You make me bloody sick. I await LTE on EE with Glee.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@ahockings

Don't get me started on Vodafone...
Still in contract with them and the SIM is sitting in the draw, currently using a Three PAYG SIM.
Posted by mitchja over 5 years ago
Is it Vodafone that's whining about this though? Three are usually whining about something some other network is doing or wants to do.
Posted by herdwick over 5 years ago
"If we were to vary EE’s licence now, it would be likely to be the only entity capable of
providing LTE/WiMAX services on a national basis for a period of time." - so if say the latest iPhone came out with LTE and EE signed up an exclusive deal you can see why some other operators may be a bit stressed.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
The 1800 MHz is licensed to EE currently, so if an iPhone launched using only that, then currently there would be no LTE/WiMAX for it.

Back to the dual/tri/quad band games of old.
Posted by mitchja over 5 years ago
O2 had the iPhone as an exclusive handset all to themselves in the UK for what, 2 years+, so there's nothing new with only certain networks offering certain exclusive products or services..

I just hope we don't end up going down the same road here in the UK with LTE as mobile networks in the US (where each network uses their own system which is not compatible with any else's)!!!

As a side note, I see it's all kicking off with the new Apple iPad '4G' today....
Posted by marco6969 over 5 years ago
I was with Vodafone a few years back now only on payg, i hardly ever used the mobile i had about £5.70 in credit ,well in there wisdom they stole my credit and gave my no to someone else when i asked why , I was informed by them because my phone was not inuse, i told them i only use it for emergency, i asked for them to repay my credit i had ,they never did ,so i will never use vodafone ever again because of this !!
Posted by LarryB over 5 years ago
What about the damage to our Bee,s dummies! When they are all gone guess what no food ! Still you can always eat your "SMART" phones! God help us all !