Skip Navigation

Lincolnshire County Council in ERDF funded broadband pilots
Monday 26 March 2012 07:47:32 by Andrew Ferguson

Some areas of Lincolnshire may have superfast broadband arriving by the end of 2012, if pilot programmes announced by Lincolnshire County Council hit their deadlines.

The County Council has secured £300,000 of ERDF funding which it will use to fund a small pilot scheme to assess deployment solutions for a wider roll-out across the county of superfast broadband services under the BDUK projects. Three main areas have been selected, with these being the “Wolds” area includes Binbrook, Legbourne and Ludford wards. The “Coast” area includes Chapel St Leonards, Willoughby with Sloothby, and Ingoldmells wards. The “Fens and Coast” area includes Old Leake and Wrangle, Frithville, Stickney, and Sibsey wards.

The timescale is such that the contract(s) should be awarded in early summer with the pilots going live towards the end of summer 2012 or in the autumn. In terms of what services people can expect, apparently fibre to the cabinet, wireless and/or satellite based services are to be considered. Though we would add that we presume satellite is only a measure of last resort as it does not meet the superfast broadband 25 Mbps or faster target.


Posted by krol over 5 years ago
Oh what a surprise. Yet again, South Lincolnshire appears to not exist in the eyes of LCC.
Posted by Lagu over 5 years ago
Nothing in Boston, what a surprise.
Posted by Lagu over 5 years ago
Oops, I should've read the full document..:)
Posted by herdwick over 5 years ago
"To inform the detailed development of the pilot projects, and to ensure the areas identified are appropriate for public sector investment, information and opinions are requested from all interested parties. Broadband service providers operating in the target areas, along with local residents and businesses are invited to submit information for the development of the pilot projects." - so have your say !
Posted by Michael_Chare over 5 years ago
What does this mean:

"It is expected that within the defined areas, broadband services will be provided such that at least 90% have superfast broadband (30 Mbps or faster) and the remaining 10% have access to basic broadband (at least 2 Mbps, and preferably faster). There should be no “not-spots” where no adequate broadband is available."

Are they trying to provide >2mbps for 90% in small country areas. That would be better than >90% across the whole county!
Posted by Michael_Chare over 5 years ago
Oops that should read:

Are they trying to provide NGA for 90% in small country areas? That would be better than >90% across the whole county!
You must be logged in to post comments. Click here to login.