LOVEFilm Instant overtakes DVD rentals
Thursday 22 March 2012 14:15:05 by Andrew Ferguson

Removing the two day wait, and allowing people to watch a movie or series at a time of their own choosing was always going to prove popular. How popular is a suprise though, within months of the launch of LOVEFilm Instant the company is saying that streaming has overtaken the physical delivery of discs in terms of the number of views.

There is no breakdown on what people are viewing, but based on our experience a lot of this increased usage is based around people watching a complete series in a single evening or two.

LOVEFiLM Instant is available for £4.99 per month, but XBox Live Gold customers currently should have an offer appearing on their dashboard, which gives six months streaming for a single £9.98 fee, reverting to the standard £4.99 in month seven.

With the new NOW TV launching in the summer, it looks like an interesting year for on-demand TV content, Netflix has the better quality streaming, but its catalogue appears fairly static, LOVEFiLM streams at a lower bitrate, but has more content available. Where NOW TV will fit in is the big unknown.

Posted by FlappySocks over 5 years ago
Shame LoveFilm is not in HD. The picture quantity of NetFlix is very impressive once it ramps up to it's highest quality "X-High/HD".

I wonder what Google TV is going to do. Why do we need middle men like Netflix, LoveFilm, NowTV? Why dont the studios & TV networks just have an "app" on your set-top box. I think thats what Google is trying to do with its Android based product.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
Was reading up on GoogleTV, seems content is limited due to lack of agreements, and thus being blocked from showing stuff.
Posted by SlimJ over 5 years ago
As I have a full home cinema system I prefer to watch movies in Full HD with DTS-HD MA surround, so until you can stream movies in the same quality as Blu-Ray to enjoy a movie as intended, I doubt I'll bother with streaming of content.
Posted by drummerjohn over 5 years ago
Same as SlimJ. Full HD display devices are what the common man is supposed to have yet the quality of HD streaming is poor. I wouldn't touch it.
Posted by Going_Digital over 5 years ago
People must have pretty low standards, Love Film streaming is such poor quality that I don't bother with it. I have seen better quality from home made videos on a 90's webcam.
Posted by Discus over 5 years ago
LoveFilm has issues streaming through Samsung blu ray players due to a software incompatibility, so it was a waste o my time signing up. Tried with a laptop through the tv, but is clumsy. Does not linmk a series if you want to watch , unlike Netflix which offers you the next episode as soon as the previous one has finished.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
As usual your better off torrenting, free & HD.

Not to mention you're not supporting the MAFIAA.
Posted by orozz over 5 years ago
I thought the PQ through the PS3 was pretty good.