Sky LLU users suffering localised speed issues
Monday 05 March 2012 10:07:40 by Andrew Ferguson

It seems Sky broadband customers are the latest to suffer congestion, though it is confined to a relatively small number of exchanges out of the total number they have unbundled across the UK.

The problems exhibit themselves as a rise in latency affecting online gaming, and problems with streaming video, in the most extreme cases content rich websites may also slow down. The issue is not with the core Sky fibre network, but appears to be affecting areas where exchanges may be daisy-chained as a means of linking them back to the core network.

The list of exchanges was last updated on the 1st March, with resolution dates for when more capacity will be made at each exchange.

Individual exchanges suffering congestion is nothing new, it happens to BT Wholesale exchanges regularly, as the number of broadband customers and usage levels increase. So assuming Sky meet the upgrade dates there is no great cause for panic. What has probably happened is that use of services like Netflix and Sky Anytime+ has accelerated the bandwidth demand curve, meaning that previously planned upgrades did not happen soon enough.

Comments

Posted by cyberdoyle over 5 years ago
welcome to the future.
Posted by F022Y over 5 years ago
I agree, hopefully more ISPs will take note and be honest about congestion issues and give ETA on capacity even if the dates are far off in the future.

It annoys me when an ISP is affected by congestion but insists everything is ok even when their own forum is flooded with users reporting the issue.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
@CD, yes. If we were all still hamstrung by analogue modems or flaky xDSL we wouldn't need as much bandwidth. Roll on fibre in the local loop eh?

:D
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@AndrueC

The people wanted more competition/lower prices at the expense of speed/infrastructure investment.

They got it.
Posted by undecidedadrian over 5 years ago
nothing new, Sky LLU had massive congestion problems at the start of 2010 and it took weeks for Sky to resolve it.
Posted by CaptainHulaHoop over 5 years ago
i'm surprised CD hasn't blamed this on all the copper left in the ground!
Posted by NilSatisOptimum over 5 years ago
I blame it on all those Linux users, wanting to download it over and over again and make copys of all the variations to pass on free to everyone ;)
Posted by Gamerwillz over 5 years ago
Oh thank god that one came up. I was planning to switch to them in the Summer!
Posted by tthom over 5 years ago
My brothers sky exchange is congested sky denied this tho but with pings of 50+ even with fast path enabled and unstable connection
Posted by Joppy over 5 years ago
Bet they fix it quicker than the 3 to 6 months it usually takes Virgin media to resolve similar issues on their UBR's.

It usually takes months issues before it reaches the threshold for them to even pass it to the network team and then it takes many more months for them to plan the upgrade, purchase new equipment and then finally implement the congestion cutting fix.
Posted by AspieMum over 5 years ago
My exchange is not on the list of exchanges but I have Sky LLU and in December the speed of my broadband went down from 1.7MBs to 0.8MBs and has stayed down.
Posted by timmay over 5 years ago
Maybe I'm better off on O2 than if Sky are going to take almost 2 months to increase capacity.

It can't be long before unlimited broadband is gone again...
Posted by c_j_ over 5 years ago
"It can't be long before unlimited broadband is gone again... "

Back to the days of the wandering horde of mickeytakers bringing down ISP after ISP? Well what a surprise.

There aren't that many LLU ISPs to bring down, but you get the drift.

Bandwidth costs money. An infinite amount of bandwidth costs an infinite amount of money.

Anything less than that requires someone somewhere to accept and/or enforce a compromise.

Mind you, advertising broadband as "unlimited" was and is just silly.
Posted by thefunkateer over 5 years ago
I gave up Sky broadband as it just got so slow, to the point I could not do business any more.
I moved to BT as Sky didn't actually have any of there own equipment at my exchange, 2 days later, the speed was back to normal and has been good ever since,,,, funny that,,,,,,
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@timmay

There will always be providers that offer unlimited, but at a realistic price, something the average joe doesn't seem to understand, realism.

@thefunkateer

You were on the Sky Connect (BTW) product, which does and always has sucked, best bet is to with Zen if BTW is your only option.
Posted by Dave_m29 over 5 years ago
At least they're honest about it unlike Virgin Media. I've been given a fault reference (which I've had for a few weeks and been told it's local congestion) yet on Virgin Media's fault checker page it still shows "good service" for my postcode, when I can't even get 3MBPS on a 60MBPS connection at peak time!