Vodafone looking to bid for Cable and Wireless Worldwide
Monday 13 February 2012 10:00:57 by Andrew Ferguson

Vodafone may be about to buy into the broadband market in a big way. Vodafone is apparently in the evaluation stages of making an offer for Cable & Wireless Worldwide, with suggestions that the bid may be over £700m.

Cable & Wireless in the UK own Thus who in turn bought Demon in 2002, also Cable & Wireless has a LLU network that offers wholesale ADSL2+. The wholesale service is used by firms like Virgin Media to offer off-net ADSL services where it does not have its own cable network, as well as a number of other smaller resellers.

The move by Vodafone is interesting, as only in December 2011 we learnt the firm was shifting its Vodafone @ Home customers over to Plusnet. Most coverage is suggesting that the purchase is more for access to the extensive fibre backbone allowing for lower cost roll-out of more cell towers and the growth of data usage. Hopefully Vodafone intends to keep the LLU services running rather than sell them onto another provider, as the LLU market is contracting in terms of provider choice. The major players having hoovered up the others to leave just a handfull of operators.

Comments

Posted by zyborg47 over 5 years ago
This is all I need. found a service I am happy with and now Vodafone is going to snap it up. I really hope they don't change things.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@zyborg47

I fear for the worst D:
Posted by zyborg47 over 5 years ago
Saying that Tesco uses the Cable and wireless network and must be a pretty big customer, vodafone would not want to lose the money from that.

Not sure what I would do if I had to leave the cable and wireless network. don't want to go back to BT and I don't really want to go Fully LLU. so maybe it would be time to give up the net.
Posted by acpsd775 over 5 years ago
@zyborg47 or possibly go with a BE* or a BE* wholesale reseller if available
Posted by zyborg47 over 5 years ago
No Be here, just naff Talk Talk rubbish and Sky. sky is the better choice, but don't really want to go to full LLU.

you never know it may not happen and even so things may stay the same. Also you never know if Fibre do come here as BT says it is going to i may change over, but TBH I don't really want to go back to a BT network.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
You guys are lucky to even have Sky, I only have access to TalkTalk, I took a re-seller package, turns out you can't move to TalkTalk once your on their network (but with re-seller) so I am stuck with 75GB usage limit :(
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
Cont.

To move away would cost me £100.