Sky Anytime+ expanding to all broadband providers
Monday 30 January 2012 10:46:07 by Andrew Ferguson

The Sky Anytime+ service which offers a library of on-demand content from Sky and other partner channels available over unbundled Sky broadband connections is expanding. The expansion includes new agreements with the BBC and ITV to include ITV Player and BBC iPlayer content, more importantly the restriction that the service was only available to customers with a Sky LLU broadband connection is to be removed, allowing Sky TV customers to access Anytime+ from any broadband service of sufficient speed.

The access restriction will be removed by Easter 2012, and other than increasing the amount of data you consume on your broadband service will carry no other costs. The amount of content available though will depend on what Sky TV package you subscribe to, for example movies are only present if you subscribe to Sky Movies 1 and 2.

There have been signs that this change was likely to happen, as people with two broadband connections at home, one via Sky and one with another provider have found that once the Sky Anytime+ service was activated on their compatible Sky set-top box that even on the non-Sky broadband service the content still worked. It is possible now to connect the newer Sky+HD boxes to your broadband router via the ethernet connector, and they will acquire an IP address, all that is needed is for Sky to enable Anytime+ on the device.

Many had thought that the Sky Anytime+ IPTV service was intended to make the Sky TV/phone/broadband bundles more compelling, but it seems Sky is happy open the service up. With the arrival of Netflix in the UK the landscape for IPTV is changing, the marketing efforts of both LoveFilm and Netflix stand to eat into the amount people are willing to pay Sky every month.

Posted by fibrebunny over 5 years ago
About time too, a little competition can go a long way it seems. I note on digital spy there appears to be a work-around to active anytime+ not that I've tried it myself. Can't be assed to run a cable, will have to wait until we redecorate lol
Posted by mitchja over 5 years ago
Sky do also sell a wireless connection box for about £60, if your HD box is too far away from your router.
Posted by Apilar over 5 years ago
£60?! Get the netgear wnce2001 instead.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
Personally I would recommend avoiding wireless for streaming to a TV, ethernet will avoid buffering due to local wireless issues.

Also if streaming at 2 to 5 Mbps - then wireless performance for others on the WLAN can be affected.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Took 'em long enough. Have they increased the HD content on it yet? Until they do that I doubt I'll use it much. I almost never miss anything anyway.
Posted by dragon2611 over 5 years ago

It's more of a progressive download than a stream, when you select a programme it gets downloaded into your "planner" and saved on your sky+/SkyHD pvr's hard-drive.

You can usually start watching once it's downloaded the first 5 - 10% though.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
In that case will cope better with wireless fluctuations but a wireless dongle under a TV etc is hardly an optimal reception zone.
Posted by mitchja over 5 years ago
HD Films on Anytime+ can also be anywhere upto 5Gb each so some ISP users are going to have to watch their monthly allowances very closely.
Posted by adslmax over 5 years ago
What the point of this if you don't subscription to any sky tv packages ? You must be at least one minimum tv package to view Sky Anytime+ feature with a minimum of £20 a month on Sky Entertainment.

But, hold on Sky, my Sky+ HD box is belong to me, and Anytime + feature should never disabled for any free to air channels such as BBCi player / ITV player and yet again, Sky is conned and rip off. Glad I have Freesat box to access ITV Player and BBCi Player for free of charge, not £20 a month like Sky does!
Posted by Youngy over 5 years ago
@fibrebunny> Have you got a link? I cant find any workaround. I used to have Anytime+ but since moving to BT Infinity I lost it.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
Still inferior to torrent/usenet.
Posted by saltyzip over 5 years ago
Posted by acpsd775 over 5 years ago
@adslmax there is no content on anytime+ from BBC / ITV its premium channel content only by that i mean the paid channels sky 1 discovery ETC so if you dont subscribe to sky you wouldn't get any content even if it was enabled

@otester not every one likes to illegally download content
Posted by _Resonance_ over 5 years ago
@acpsd775 There is ITV content now. Started today.
Posted by acpsd775 over 5 years ago
@_Resonance_ i stand corrected then lol i haven't been on the AT+ menu for a few days so haven't seen
Posted by WannabeMKII over 5 years ago
I'm also interested in the workaround if there is one, as I'm impatient :)
Posted by JonathanCassar over 5 years ago
Hi fibrebunny the only workaround I can see is to order sky broadband and then cancel - Is this what you were referring to in your post above?