Make yourself heard in Suffolk
Tuesday 17 January 2012 18:40:43 by Andrew Ferguson

Another County Council and another survey, Better Broadband for Suffolk campaign.

The survey while mainly online, can be downloaded, printed and posted back to the council, and they are looking at distributing copies via Parish Councils and Libraries.

For those wanting to find out more about the project, and a chance to discuss current broadband speeds, where broadband is used etc then an event with space for 250 will be hosted at the Apex Centre in Bury St Edmunds on 9th March 2012.

Comments

Posted by benbird7 over 5 years ago
Living in Lowestoft, Suffolk from tweaking my line and tweaking downstream attentuation on router I have been able to squeeze just under 3mb out of my line.

Lowestoft is very south heavy and would really benefit from getting FTTC which I see is booked in currently for middle part of this year. I hope they stick to the proposals!
Posted by Stoobs over 5 years ago
Ben, same here, but over the north side of the town - luckily the cab I'm on will be upgraded, so hopefully in a few months I'll be sat on 40Mbit rather than a slightly flaky 3ish..

The problem with the town is that the population has moved significantly away from the centre which means most of the 32,000 lines on the exchange are of the long variety, most other places tend to have more smaller exchanges before that happens - what also doesn't help is the fact there are large chunks with aluminium cabling.
Posted by mervl over 5 years ago
Those infrastructure issues are endemic throughout BT's eastern region, with particularly poor infrastructure I was told some years ago by BT's old analogue fault service. Based on my experience in a similar case further south FTTC took me from speeds of around 3 Mbps to 40/6 Mbps at 600m from the cab, though the local loop to the cab is still decrepit.
Posted by Bob_s2 over 5 years ago
Population growth in towns and cities throught the UK tends to be on the outskirts but BT largely ignores these areas and of course very many suffer as well with long lines

The way BT is going the UK will always be about two steps behind the rest of europe

They ought to be deploying fibre on all new estates even if it means running in copper as well and that the fibre is intially not used
Posted by themanstan over 5 years ago
Yes absolutely!
Minor issue being that since mid-2009, when BT was allowed into the market there has been a small crisis in the building market... so the amount of new builds in progress since that time are quite small... hence the 200+ house building businesses which have gone into administration.
Posted by Michael_Chare over 5 years ago
I do wonder why the council considerate appropriate to collect information about race, religion and sexual orientation in a survey about broadband.
Posted by themanstan over 5 years ago
And it would probably be prudent for Virgin to be required to lay cable too. So that there is some competition.
Posted by mervl over 5 years ago
Michael: some lawyer told them to do so, under their statutory duties relating to promoting social inclusiveness. Tick the boxes, ka-ching!
Posted by Somerset over 5 years ago
18. Have you ever identified as transgender?
Posted by Billytester over 5 years ago
If you read the survey properly, there is an option to let you decide which of the rather personal (and irrelevant) questions you wish to answer.
Posted by doyleyboy over 5 years ago
@Stoobs How did you find out your cabinet is being upgraded? Is there a link you can post or something? cheers