BT Retail reduces price of Infinity to ADSL2+ levels
Friday 16 December 2011 11:10:06 by Andrew Ferguson

Marketing of superfast broadband is perhaps something of a black art with varying degrees of success around the world, and BT Retail by aligning its fibre to the cabinet service prices with the old technology (oddly still called next generation in press releases) ADSL2+ is trying ensure that even a slight price increase does not deter signups.

Product Downstream Upstream Previous Price New Price Starting offer
More Broadband and Weekend Calls with superfast BT Infinity broadband Up to 40 Mbps Up to 2 Mbps - £18 £7.50 for three months
More Broadband and Evening & Weekend Calls with superfast BT Infinity broadband Up to 40 Mbps Up to 2 Mbps £20 £18 £9 for three months
Unlimited Broadband and Evening & Weekend Calls with superfast BT Infinity broadband Up to 40 Mbps Up to 10 Mbps £25.60 £25 £20 for three months

All products require line rental starting at £10 per month

BT Infinity products was already one of the cheapest FTTC solutions in the UK, and with these price reductions of 60p to £2 at the retail level the change looks more incremental than ground breaking. The idea we presume is that if the up to 20 Mbps products and up to 40 Mbps products are the same price then consumers will simply elect for the bigger number product that costs the same.

One problem that faces marketing departments, is that after ten years of 'up to' marketing, it may be the consumer has started to ignore these claims, and is judging the figures based on flawed logic. For example, the upgrades from ADSL to ADSL2+ for the vast majority produced nothing like the tripling of speeds that the marketing material and press coverage suggested. There is an irony here, in that with the removal of a large chunk of copper from the product, that FTTC actually is offering speeds generally at the or above the speeds estimated for a particular line.

If anyone at BT Retail is reading this, can we suggest you make the Free connection and £25 Activation charge clearer in terms of what each of them are, connection it seems is referring to people who want a telephone line installed for the service, but £25 activation refers to the Infinity service itself.

Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Cheap but no static IP option on residential packages. I've gone for IDNET.
Posted by themanstan over 5 years ago
BT's gone for a one size fits all approach.
Better for the other ISPs to give more esoteric and tailored packages through VULA.
Still it's good that prices have been brought down.
Posted by mervl over 5 years ago
Good marketing from BT: I suspect most users don't really change their pattern of use with higher speeds once you get above 4Mbps, so the price differential is crucial. AndrueC: I found Idnet FTTC exactly what it says on the tin, and I'm chaffed.
Posted by balb0wa73 over 5 years ago
Im paying £25.60 on infinity and getting 13mb, 1060 metres of rubbish aluminium , come on bt replace it with coppper!!!!
Posted by otester over 5 years ago

I was getting about the same but on ADSL2+ (same length and aluminium) compared to what should have been 18Mbps+ on copper, your line must be real degraded.

Luckily for you, it will get worse over time so you will be able to get it replaced eventually.
Posted by balb0wa73 over 5 years ago
Bt say the line has problems, bad joints etc, 90% of it underground, or in ducts etc, they wont replace it, there must be 35 houses on our road, paying £350-400 a month, £4,600 a year in line rental, yet bt wont replace the lines.
Posted by balb0wa73 over 5 years ago
The 13mb is on the 17a profile as well, went from 11 to 13 , attainable rate says 19. Im hoping that vectoring if ever they introduce that would help things.
Posted by Renfrew over 5 years ago
Strange, BT has just *increased* the price I am paying for Infinity Option 2 to £26.80/month as from 3 December. Hopefully I'll now get a reduction of £1.80/month ..... ?
Posted by Fellwalker over 5 years ago
Is there a lot of point paying for more than say 6 meg? I had between 6 and 7 before. I have infinity at 38Mb and notice no difference whatsoever in my browsing. Fast computer, plenty of RAM, windows 7, ethernet not wifi, everything up to date. Even streaming is no better - the feeds don't speed up just because my connection is faster. I imagine most websites cannot deliver data at that rate. A very few downloads are quicker.
Posted by zyborg47 over 5 years ago
why is it that Bt think someone who wants fibre also want their phone service? If I went for fibre I want to keep the phone service provider I use, not that I would have a Bt service again if I can help it
Posted by herdwick over 5 years ago
As end user speeds get faster Fellwalker's experience will be repeated, the "other end" isn't necessarily going to provide masses more capacity and streaming is at a defined rate not the rate of your conneciton in any case.

A case in point is the ponderous Microsoft Updates system, which appears to be hosted on a dialup line.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago

When it gets so bad that your speed falls below 2Mbps (fault status) they will have to.

Try clicking the double speed next to the play button to take advantage of the extra bandwidth <facepalm>.
Posted by TavistockSFB01822 over 5 years ago
Yes - we had the First Generation Broadband, then the smoke and mirrors, Next Generation.

Up to 24 Mbps (from 8 Mbps) should be renamed as 'Last Generation'.

The way this Government is delivering superfast fibre broadband roll-out, this is likely to be space for the 'Lost Generation'.
Posted by Jimneybob over 5 years ago
This is clever marketing by BT. The option 2 package if my memory serves me right is actually APPROX £43 MORE EXPENSIVE over the 18 month contract
The prevous package price included ANYTIME CALLS. This new package only includes evening & weekend calls. BT charge an extra £4.90 per month to upgrade to anytime calling.
I had done my price sums on 30th Nov & requested my MAC code. Didn't get that until 4th Dec when I went to place my order & was told prices "went up yesterday" They wouldn't budge on the price.
This is a con for Option 2 at least!
Posted by otester over 5 years ago

If you choose to live in the middle of nowhere that's your problem.

Government should only be responsible for protecting liberty, the rest is for the private sector, unfortunately as the government has got involved everything has got a lot worse.
Posted by bluesbros over 5 years ago
As usual all the talk is about speed. But the above comes with a 40Gb monthly usage limit. Yes I would like faster broadband, but unlimited not limited. I might up my cost to get more speed but not at the expense of lmitimg downloads. It's £35 & £25 for unlimited.
Posted by GMAN99 over 5 years ago
There is an unlimited package? If you want unlimited you need to pay for it :)
Posted by Pigmaster over 5 years ago
Does anybody know if other ISP (like SKY) will be allowed to connect their equipment into the FTTC stream. I can only get 3Mb on SKY ADSL2+ and would love the increase that fibre would bring but without having to leave SKY for phone etc
Posted by Shonk over 5 years ago
Not in any rush for vdsl2
I get 23mbit on adsl2+
and certainly dont want to go onto bt's backhaul
Posted by creakycopperline over 5 years ago
was paying TT for 32 ppm for adsl2 5mb dwn, 800kbps up,
now that i've put in an order for BT, they say i'll be switched over to fibre when it arrives at no extra cost.