Andrews & Arnold - TG582n the chosen router for IPv6
Thursday 24 November 2011 13:02:54 by Andrew Ferguson

Earlier in November we found out that Andrews & Arnold was testing a new IPv6 capable router, that would be cheap enough to supply free to its customers. The router can now be identified as the Technicolor TG582n wireless router.

Adrian Kennard has an informative blog article that talks about the various devices they had tried, and reveals that Technicolor sent an engineer to spend a day with them tweaking the router to make it work. An important point is that at this time while the TG582n works on the Andrews & Arnold network with respect to IPv6, it is not ready for general release just yet in respect to IPv6, that will be a few weeks away.

For those looking to try and future proof their broadband hardware, the blog reveals that simply buying something labelled as IPv6 ready may not be the best option. It would be sensible to look at hardware that others are actually using, as far too often firmware needs updates or as this ISP found the IPv6 is buggy or will not work on PPPoA services.

Posted by b4dger over 5 years ago
I've been following the AAISP blog and thought this was a new router for a minute. But I see Zen and others also sell the TG582n.

Looking around, Amazon also have it for £37.50 - all mention 'IPv6 Ready'. Anyone know what chipset this uses (hoping it's Broadcom) but have seen Infineon mentioned?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
I think generally the IPv6 label is akin to the old g and n 'wireless network ready' labels, i.e. we got it working on a test rig, but real world might take a bit more work.
Posted by SupportMan over 5 years ago
The TG582 has a BCM DSL chipset.
Posted by unobroadband over 5 years ago
It does have a Broadcom. Technicolor have finally seen sense and gone back to broadcom. The 585v7 had broadcom but they strangely tried/tested an Infenion on the 585 v8.

The 582n is a great little router. Can also be used for FTTC (in tandem with the BT-supplied modem), and there is a 3G backup slot/port.
Posted by Guest_Again over 5 years ago
I have both the Billion and this Technicolour and notice no difference in speed. As b4dger says, there is a massive price difference with Amazon.
The Technicolor router is very much smaller and does not have any external antenna. I have noticed no difference using both with wireless, but this may be different being used over a greater distance? I only use mine a couple of rooms away from the base.

The Billion may be more configurable, but for me that doesn't seem to be much, if any, of the difference.
Posted by RevK over 5 years ago
Key thing is that the "IPv6 Ready" is now a reality (for those of us with the beta software). So many manufacturers have had a "nearly" offering for ages but never quite getting there.
Posted by thinkunbiased over 5 years ago
TG582n user on BE. (Their current default)
Not had a drop in sync since getting it a fortnight ago. Compared to the Speedtouch 780 that dropped a few times every week, it's great, also increased my download sync form 13-14M to 15M.
Posted by zyborg47 over 5 years ago
I don't think we the consumers have to worry about IPv6 for a while, most IPv6 stuff will be internal and the majority of people will stay on IPv4.

how many ISPs are giving people the option to use IPv6 anyway?
Posted by andrewhearn over 5 years ago
Just to clarify, the 'IPv6 ready' label was meaning Technicolor plan to have IPv6 support at some time in the future. The USB doesn't (yet) have 3G back up support, it's for storage/printer at the moment.
Posted by andrewhearn over 5 years ago
We're in our 10th year of providing IPv6 to our customers now, and do talk to small and large businesses about how they can have IPv6
Posted by RichardUK01 over 5 years ago
The USB has got 3G back up it just needs some code to activate it, ISP's will be able to supply this code on request
Posted by drunkenduck over 5 years ago
I have just got this from A&A as I'm a new customer, it's taken several weeks of waiting I wish I hadn't bothered. There is almost no user config, cannot disable DHCP on the wireless side, nor enable it on the wired. It gives broken DHCP info and is unusable with any of our wifi devices. Wired side works ok but does not allow user configuration so cannot setup NAT/PAT scopes, its billed as having 4 SSID and VLANS but these are not present. In short it is simply not as advertised, I would rather have been told to buy my own in the first place.

I'll be buying a Draytec unit as a replacement