Wiltshire superfast broadband survey results in
Thursday 17 November 2011 10:16:36 by Andrew Ferguson

Some 3,600 Wiltshire residents and 425 businesses filled in a survey that looked into the current state of broadband in the county and what people in the area wanted. 20% of residents claiming their current connection was never adequate, which increased to 44% when looking at business responses, demand for superfast broadband ran at 50% and 67% respectively. Some 95% of businesses indicated that the internet was critical to their business.

"That’s why we are investing in this very crucial area.

Families can make, on average, savings of £530 per year by paying their bills and doing their shopping online. Businesses can use the internet to improve their communications with customers and increase their sales.

Access to the internet can also help to reduce social isolation, bring rural communities together and helping people learn new skills."

Cllr Thomson, Wiltshire County Council

Wiltshire County Council has set aside £16m of its own money, on top of the £4.6m from the BDUK fund and is planning to have superfast broadband available to the majority of homes by next year, rising to 85% by 2015. Everyhome home should have access to broadband at 2 Mbps or faster by 2015 too.

Posted by themanstan over 5 years ago
Have to say that 0.6% (this is the low end of the expected response level) of the residential population of wiltshire responding to the survey is indicative of how important overall people feel BB is.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Drat. You beat me to it. I'm also a little sceptical of the figure for savings. Even assuming it is reasonable to save that much by going online I'd question if 'superfast broadband' makes that any easier.

In my experience (and I only ever shop online these days) all the sites I visit would appear to be quite accessible on even the most mediocre of xDSL connections. I bet most are even tolerable on dial-up.

But still - a positive survey result is good news for the residents I suppose. Here's a muted 'yay' from me :)
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
In terms of expected response, I presume the council has run other surveys in the past, so needs to be judged on that basis, rather than Race To Infinity 101% responses.
Posted by herdwick over 5 years ago
"Some 95% of businesses indicated that the internet was critical to their business"

I wonder what proportion of them are using cheap as chips residential accounts.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
To be fair, not been to my office for 2 months, and using one pure residential and one SME type product.

I think the majority can get by with the £25 to £30 type products, with arrangements to borrow another connection if theirs fails for a day or two.

If hosting an e-commerce site at the office, obviously a SLA backed, metro-ethernet would be a lot better.