Planned Openreach fibre roll-out to finish in 2014
Monday 31 October 2011 07:52:07 by Andrew Ferguson

While we have known about the spending of £2.5 billion by Openreach (part of BT Group) to bring super-fast broadband to two thirds of the UK for some time and its original end date of 2015, we are now being told that the project is likely to finish earlier in 2014.

Hopefully any accelerated roll-out will not worsen the mixture of FTTC to FTTP products, i.e. the easier to install FTTC solution be used to meet the new deadline, the Independent tells us the mixture will be two thirds FTTC and one third full Fibre to the Home (FTTH). The further 520 jobs for engineers need to be taken in light of previous reduction in staff numbers (15,000 in 2009), so while any new jobs are welcome, in the longer term it would appear to be a rebalancing of skills within Openreach.

Hopefully the extra staff taken on to help in the building of this network will see their jobs extend well beyond this current roll-out, and with one third of the country seeing super-fast broadband arrive via a mixture of centrally funded, private investment and council money, there is likely to be work continuing for a few more years for these engineers at both Openreach and firms like Fujitsu and Cable and Wireless.

Comments

Posted by themanstan over 2 years ago
Hmmm.... have to wait and see what they really say. I can't see how they'll finish early if FTTP has been so delayed. I forsee a rejigging of the FTTC to FTTP ratio, more's the pity.
Posted by GMAN99 over 2 years ago
Maybe they will finish FTTC early meaning more engineers for FTTP to pick up the slack?

Dunno.. all I care about is that they don't finish until my exchange hits the list and I get FTT<X> !
Posted by creakycopperline over 2 years ago
ahhh gmann your true colours revealed, sod everyone else, only bothered about me getting it
those outside of the two thirds can get f@%ked.
explains why you're such a bt lackey,
which exchange are you on btw?
Posted by GMAN99 over 2 years ago
hahahah of course I'm bothered about the rollout to others but I'm pretty concerned I've not even made the rollout list yet! Rawdon, its getting 21CN'd today so... my hopes are raised only a little tho

All I'm saying I hope they don't finish before I get my hookup ;o)
Posted by Jimkirk363 over 2 years ago
I cant see Swansea getting this then. I was chatting to a few BT Engineers doing some work down the road a few weeks ago and they were told that Swansea wasnt going to be done until atleast 2015.
Posted by Michael_Chare over 2 years ago
What about the other 1/3rd of the country mostly in rural areas who would probably benefit more from a fibre based service than those in urban areas?
Posted by GMAN99 over 2 years ago
BDUK funding is hoping to cover some of that
Posted by jumpmum over 2 years ago
Jimkirk363
Mumbles is on the list for FTTC in Dec 2011, so some of Swansea will be covered. I can't see the rest being missed as it is far too big. They will have nearly finished Bridgend by March (6 exchange areas) so you may be in next years set.
Posted by fastman over 2 years ago
Jimkirk363 be surprised the local engineers would have nay visibility of the rollout plans or what was included / excluded
Posted by themanstan over 2 years ago
fastman is right, e.g. the engineers working around Oxford didn't have any info about the Cowley exchange until the main announcement.
The current roll-out info is for ~10 million homes, which leaves ~another 6 million worth to be announced. I'd anticipate another slew of exchanges added to the list in the next month or two.
Posted by NICK_ADSL_UK over 2 years ago
I'll believe it when i see it
Posted by themanstan over 2 years ago
An interesting take on this is that by having completed their own roll-out, that they'll have abundant resources for any BDUK wins. It would probably count against them if they were'nt able to show that they have available manpower to roll-out BDUK projects.
Posted by chrysalis over 2 years ago
I keep reading misconceptions about rural areas mainly been skipped, there is still over 6 million people in city areas without even a rollout date.
Posted by themanstan over 2 years ago
@Chrysalis fair point, but in fact there are more than you think.
~25 million homes in the UK.
10 million are part of the known roll-out.
Leaves 15 million not knowing, but we know that rural exchanges are included in NGA already.
20% rural population ~5 million homes.
Say ~1 million properties that are rural are part of NGA (just phase 7a included 300,000 rural properties).
So it's 11 million urban properties without a date and 4 million rural.
Posted by Oddball over 2 years ago
My can went live this last week. However none of the providers are offering better deals than I get with Be right now. An unthrottled, uncapped service with reasonable contract terms at a good price (11 mbit down/1.3 up at £14 pcm).

The cheapest uncapped provider is BT Infinity at £25 pcm. However they throttled P2P traffic to less than a dialup modem during the daytime and at weekends so it's basically useless to me.

I'm quite happy staying where I am right now thanks. At least until Be figures out their own fiber offerings.
Posted by Oddball over 2 years ago
can=cab=cabinet
Posted by AndrueC over 2 years ago
@Oddball:You might be waiting a long time. You probably have unrealistic expectations concerning the cost of providing the service you want.

Be may never have made any money off their current offering. Certainly back when their accounts were separate to O2 they never did. Their wholesale offering plus sharing with O2 might mean that overall the division has made a profit but I doubt Be itself ever has.
Posted by AndrueC over 2 years ago
Notice the way that O2 eventually had to back away from 'all you can eat'. I think Be only gets away with it because it's a small niche ISP. That probably keeps the losses down to a tolerable level. I'm guessing really but I reckon Be only still exists courtesy of the magic of 'cross charging' and 'amortisation'. If it had to stand on its own I think it'd be dead within a year.

Quality comes at a price and by and large the domestic market (ie;you) doesn't want to pay that price.
Posted by rhenn over 2 years ago
Gmann - Are you on the forums? Tried to send you a PM but it failed.
Posted by AspieMum over 2 years ago
What about the other third? Are they just be left with a broadband service that is no longer up to the job? Government services, schools etc will expect you to have an internet connection that is even though you don't have a hope of getting a decent broadband.
Posted by AspieMum over 2 years ago
My exchange is not on the list at all anywhere.