littlebigone launches with iPad 2 competition in Doncaster
Friday 28 October 2011 10:05:20 by Andrew Ferguson

Digital Region who provide a Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) service in South Yorkshire has announced another retail provider of its services, forming a quintet of options for residents of littlebigone.com, RipWire, unitel, Digital Region City and ask4.

littlebigone.com are launching their service on Saturday 29th October in the Frenchgate Shopping Centre with prizes (including an Apple iPad 2), the launch will also have Hallam FM along to compete and create a day of games, information and prizes.

"We're very excited about launching this service and giving the people of South Yorkshire the opportunity to upgrade from the often poor internet connections that are experienced in the area. We are passionate about helping people get up to speed.

We are offering a very personal service and will give advice to anyone interested in getting set up online for the first time or improving the service they currently have."

littlebigone.com MD Teresa Robbins

littlebigone.com is launching with a telephone and broadband package that will sell for £25 a month plus a £50 connection charge, or you can pay for the first 12 months upfront at £299 and after the 12 months continue to pay the standard £25 a month. The minimum contract period is 18 months, and their website has a registration page for those wanting to enquire about the service.

In December 2011 the service will also launch an IPTV (TV over broadband) service, and given that Digital Region is reporting average speeds measured as 37 Mbps down and 13 Mbps upload there would appear to be plenty of opportunities for quality TV delivery.

Comments

Posted by acpsd775 over 5 years ago
there's also origin-broadband.co.uk on there too
Posted by Swampster over 5 years ago
Yep, I still dunno why Origin isn't listed as an ISP on the Digital Region site.. I'm using them at present.
Posted by joe_pineapples over 5 years ago
@Swampster

Can you tell me what their website speed estimate says you should personally get, the distance you are from the cabinet, and the actual download speed you are getting?. Just to give me an idea.

cheers
joe
Posted by Swampster over 5 years ago
Speed estimate is 40/10 and it says I'm 0.2km from the cab. It's actually more like 250m.. and peak speeds I get 38/9.. but here's a speedtest result..

Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-10-30 13:08:36)
Download: 37126 Kbit/s
Upload : 8872 kbit/s
Connects : 2791 conn/min
Ping: 24 ms

Never seems to do particularly well on TBB's speedtest though...
Posted by nick2xuk over 5 years ago
Origin seem to be a reseller for the company Digital Region City, therefore aren't an official ISP for Digital Region.

Shame about the 18 month contract.
Posted by Swampster over 5 years ago
I asked them that specific question if they are a reseller or not, they categorically denied it. They do use DRC's data centre however. But apprenly they are in progress of setting up their own.
Posted by nick2xuk over 5 years ago
Fair do's - strange that Digital Region don't mention them on their website though.
Posted by joe_pineapples over 5 years ago
Thanks Swampster.

I dont fully understand how this works tbh. According to samknows, my exchange isnt FTTC enabled yet, but according to Digital Region, I could have a connection now. Incidently, the speed checker on the Origin site lists a number of access points around me, yet does not choose the nearest.
Posted by Swampster over 5 years ago
Are you looking at the correct FTTC indicator? i.e not the BT FTTC? But Samknows isn't the defacto source on Digital Region, I had a similar issue with their data; they listed my exchange as not being covered by Digital Region.. yet I was already using it. As for the cab, I guess it's down to how you're telephone is actually routed. Sometimes the cab isn't the obvious choice, or nearest.. that said I wouldn't count any data set on any site as being totally accurate, they only get the proper picture when you actually make an order.
Posted by joe_pineapples over 5 years ago
Fifital Region got back to me and confirmed I'm connected to Access point BAL012, which is twice the distance from me, than BAL003 (as the crow flies). I guess with all the winding routes the cables can take, I might infact be on the neatest one to me. Anyway, it estimates 31meg down, 10meg up (0.6km from access point)