Sky has over 3.4 million broadband customers
Wednesday 19 October 2011 13:40:26 by Andrew Ferguson

Sky is relentlessly growing its broadband numbers, but critically for the shareholders while broadband is a cheap product, the numbers taking double or triple play bundles is increasing year on year, with average revenue per customer rising from £466 to £535 in the last two years (peaked at £538 in the previous quarter). The full press release is available at the Sky Investors website

The media group has 28% of its customers taking a bundle of TV, broadband and telephone services, and its unbundled network of 1,732 exchanges covers 81% of UK households, with plans to extend this coverage adding another 200 exchanges this year.

• Customers with fully unbundled service (MPF) 1,869,000
  • Customers with shared LLU service (SMPF) 1,336,000
  • Number of customers using Sky Connect (off-net) 280,000
  • Added 155 new unbundled exchanges in last quarter

On September 1st Sky changed its systems such that people could only order its broadband service if they also took the telephone line rental product, which means that the numbers on the fully unbundled network will increase. There has been no lowering of the prices to tempt people into this, but the lower cost of operation may be what is helping Sky to currently maintain its unlimited unmanaged broadband service for LLU customers.

A recurring theme seen amongst those asking questions about the Sky services is that people are signing up to receive the Sky Anytime+ Video on Demand service, which utilises the Sky broadband network to deliver a library of films and TV programmes to Sky TV and broadband customers on demand. This is in addition to the Sky Anytime service, which downloads material Sky has selected for you to your Sky Plus/HD box over night via the satellite feeds.

Comments

Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
I'm still puzzled about the excitement over Anytime+. Last I heard it was just 'iPlayer from Sky' and not even in HD. Yet another catch-up service doesn't sound all that clever to me. Especially not given that most shows have multiple viewings during the week then are re-run shortly after the initial run.

Catch-up on Sky is pretty much always just a matter of waiting a couple of days or a few weeks.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
If the majority of movies were in HD content, then would be personally excited.

That said I can see people using it as a replacement for buying DVD's for the kids.

The + is more about the movie library I think for many.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
What I'd have liked to see (what I'd have paid for) would be an overnight download of 'clashed' content. In other words something that supplemented the two tuners in the box. It's still true that repeats usually fill the gap but it'd be neat if instead of just whining about a clash the box offered to download the program (in HD) as a background task.
Posted by japitts over 5 years ago
Now that Virgin Media offers the same content as Sky Anytime+, over a true-VOD network (that is technically far-better suited)... it will be interesting to see the conversion/penetration rates of Sky vs Virgin within cabled areas.
Posted by Thalgrum over 5 years ago
its not all a bed of roses, I dont want to take their phone service, so now sky are charging me an extra £5 a month for NOT taking it...
Posted by chrysalis over 5 years ago
AndrueC again you fail to see the benefits of 'on demand' over repeats, repeats are scheduled, whilst on demand can be played whenever withyou having to pre record it. I also think a lot of people arent bothered about HD still, I am certianly not. But granted I think HD is popular enough it should be available for VOD.
Posted by chrysalis over 5 years ago