YouView on track for early 2012 launch
Monday 26 September 2011 16:55:33 by John Hunt

YouView, the company looking to marry the Internet with the television through an on-demand set-top box have published their 'user interface and search policy' consultation to industry today which details how content displayed through their open standards system will be displayed to viewers. YouView, which has been quite long in the making, are setting up a standards compliant open platform that will allow content providers to get content out to customers through a standard set-top box that plugs in to the viewers television and Internet connection. All the UK terrestrial channels are on-board with the system and have provided funding. Their catch-up TV services, such as the BBC iPlayer will be made available on YouView.

The company were originally scheduled to launch in the first half of 2011 with partners including BT and TalkTalk who would use the service to beef up their ability to provide quad-play bundles, allowing stronger competition with Sky and Virgin. YouView is now on track for an early 2012 launch.

The industry consultation on the User Interface and Search Policy closes on the 4th of November.

Comments

Posted by cyberdoyle over 5 years ago
wow. that is gonna knock the rural areas back another decade. 2meg USC by satellites are not gonna be affordable for them to view you view.
Posted by herdwick over 5 years ago
TV by satellite with PVR. Sorted.
Posted by cyberdoyle over 5 years ago
how long before sats and tv antennas are obsolete or too expensive?
Posted by Somerset over 5 years ago
cd - Not a problem for those in rural exchange areas close to the exchange or with FTTC or in a VM area.

Why can't people in rural areas afford satellite?
Posted by New_Londoner over 5 years ago
@CD
Remember this is not mandatory, it is simply another way that some people may choose to take TV services. A bit far-fetched to say that this will "know the rural areas back another decade"!
Posted by jtthedevil over 5 years ago
Well lets use me as an example Somerset. At the minute I get 0.5mb down and 0.4up from talktalk. My monthly bill is around the £20-24 mark for 40gb limit. Even with my slow connection I can eat up 20-30gb.
Looking at satellite, I could get a 6mb down and 1mb up connection for roughly the same money, but with a data limit of only 4gb, which could be gone in a matter of hours at those speeds. To get 25gb would be £100 per month, no small amount in anyones book.
Posted by orly2 over 5 years ago
jtthedevil,

Where do you live though?
Posted by jtthedevil over 5 years ago
Just outside a large town, but due to the cable routing i'm 9km from the exchange and 6km from the cabinet, which has been upgraded for fibre.
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
I don't know about 2012, it's dad in the water already. As I said months ago, 'You-view, cos I wont'. Like many HD Freeview boxed, my Icecrypt T2200 is hooked to my network. A freeview channel check will show, that channels 110, 111 and 112 and Internet gateways to hundreds of channels and on-demand. So, why would anyone buy this silly box.
Channel 110 http://www.visiontvnetwork.co.uk/
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
Sorry about the typos above, getting senile & no edit facility here. Info on IPTV coming to all HD Freeview boxes this month.
Posted by undecidedadrian over 5 years ago
The reason why anybody would buy this box is due to large amounts of the country still can't get freeview.

I live in north Hertfordshire and there wasn't any transmitters built near us due to the local cable companies having communal feeds.

NTL turned all those feeds off when they bought the local cable companies and so we have only Satellite ot Cable.

This covers over 200,000 households and so I reckon that this would be popular where I live.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
@undecidedadrian:So get Freesat instead. There are only a few people that can't get Freesat and the number of people that can't get either must be very, very small.

IPTV is cute but unless it's VoD it's a horrible waste of a unicast network.
Posted by GMAN99 over 5 years ago
I use Freesat, my only regret is not ditching Sky sooner. One payment for the box, no monthly fees, job done.
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
I also use Freesat. As someone that built & set-up my own motorised large dish & mount before Sky was thought about, and as an early adopter of Sky, I will now not touch the greedy company with a barge pole. On a point of principle, I would rather pay £300 for a Freesat PVR, than £10 per month to Sky to record on MY sky+ box.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
@GMAN99:Well obviously if you never watched any of the Sky specific content there's no point paying just for the PVR :)

I have both Freesat and Sky. The vast majority of what I watch is only available on Sky. Some of the US dramas eventually appear FTV/FTA but most of it (especially the Knowledge Pack stuff) never seems to.
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
It seems the likes of Vision will be delivering content to more than a Freeview Box, so seems to fit into things i very well.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
@m0aur:I don't pay anything per month to record on my Sky HD box. It's included in the subscription and has been for years now. As per my comment to GMAN99 - it would indeed be foolish to use a Sky+ box purely to get the PVR functionality. Even Sky know this - you apparently have to push quite hard to get the record-only option for £10pcm these days.
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
Why pay even a subscription to Sky, when you can watch all their pay channel content for free on the internet.
Posted by GMAN99 over 5 years ago
I've had Sky for ages and kept slimming down the package as far as I could. It still crept every year and was at £21 for pretty basic channels and kids tv. Ditched it, got a Foxsat 500Gb and never looked back, don't miss anything on Sky at all.
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
Download Miro to schedule recordings.
Who needs Sky
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Very interesting, m0aur. From a brief look however the selection looks a bit sparse. Still I'm always game for saving money if it's legal.

Where would I find the latest series of [i]Ice Road Truckers[/i] or [i]Mythbusters[/i] in HD?

And what about the latest [i]Burn Notice[/i] or (recently ended) [i]Medium[/i]
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Oops, no markup :)

Perhaps everything I am currently watching is available for free in HD without breaking the law. I find it very hard to believe however.
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
There is so much of this "Breaking the law" hysteria on the web. There is nothing you can watch without recording on the web that breaks the law. It is a different matter for those that chose to retransmit their Sky content over the web for others, but that is their risk and their problem.
Posted by m0aur over 5 years ago
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Thanks for the legal advice but I'll pass on that.

Thanks for the link but that's the previous season. History is currently broadcasting season 5. Also the link never seemed to play for me (but could be because I'm at work) - I just never got to a page with a video on it. Is it in High Definition?
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Nope. Tried that link from home and I don't think it does anything. Just takes you in circles.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Meanwhile I can confirm that my Sky box has completed yet another evening of sterling service. Providing me with access to content not available anywhere else for the nominal sum of £1 a day.

Sky might be a money grabbing corporation - but it comes through night after night after night. That's why I subscribe :)
Posted by GMAN99 over 5 years ago
:) Depends what you watch AndrueC you obviously watch the things your paying for, on Sky I ended up watching mostly terrestrial so it wasn't worth it.