100,000 extra homes to have Virgin Media cable option
Monday 08 August 2011 10:58:57 by Andrew Ferguson

If you live in Southampton and are bemoaning the lack of access to Virgin Media cable TV/broadband services in your part of town, then todays news of plans by the firm to almost double its coverage in Southampton will be very welcome.

Virgin Media is continuing its network expansion plans, enlarging its footprint to add 100,000 homes by the end of 2011. So far, the expansion in 2011 has added an extra 70,000 homes passed in places like Derry (Northern Ireland) and Staines (West London). As new network builds, they generally come enabled with access to Virgin's flagship 100Mbps broadband service.

Average usage on the Virgin Media cable network is over 25GB a month, which to give some idea of how much this is, is roughly 30 minutes of streamed music a day, thirty hours of online TV, a couple of hours of YouTube clips, and thousands of web pages and emails.

While the expansion is good news, there are some people for whom it is not all good news. We have seen letters sent out to Virgin Media customers in the Westminster area that the firm is closing down its operation in the area in January 2012 due to the costs of upgrading the old BT based cable network in the area.

Comments

Posted by themanstan over 5 years ago
So they'll pass 27,000 homes in Southampton.
-91,000 households (2001 census figure) in Westminster = 9,000 additional households passed.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
Upgrading the old analog network then...not really expanding but filling in the gaps.
Posted by ionic over 5 years ago
VM have already been performing upgrade work in the old analogue areas of Southampton - our road has recently been done and I have bene advised that we should able to order digital services towards the end of the month / early september.
Is the buildout in Southampton in addition to this i.e. covering homes that have no services, or just some double-counting by Virgin?
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
"a substantial new construction project is about to begin in Southampton which will see Virgin Media almost double the size of its presence in the city" VM words from release
Posted by djfunkdup over 5 years ago
good to see VM expanding their network.hopefully there will be good uptake of services,and that in turn will encourage VM to expand elsewhere...loving my 100Mb connection from VM and looking forward to 200Mb coming next year.. ;)
Posted by planetf1 over 5 years ago
I know VM were surveying our area last year (in Chandler's Ford) -- at the time I eventually got confirmation they were considering expansion, but at the time hadn't made a decision.

The area I live is adjacent to an existing area, though I'm happily in-contract on infinity for now.

Still it may be interesting as a sky replacement.

I've emailed virgin but don't have any indications as to the covered area.
Posted by bosie over 5 years ago
In Westminster we have no cable or fibre, not even BT for the residential user. There are a few Ethernet options which cost more than a leased line. My next home will be based on the availability of Virgin!
Posted by lucent over 5 years ago
I always base moving house on Virgin availability... that said I've never even looked at a place that didn't have it, but more coverage is never a bad thing, so long as the network is kept up to cope with it!
Posted by graphics4glass over 5 years ago
Time will tell, Virgin have been promising an upgrade in Freemantle area of Southampton for at least 10 years, they have done some work in the road 2 weeks ago but a few years ago they took my order & installed a cable into my house before telling me I couldn't get a service. I've just had Sky installed so don't care!
Posted by samperry209 over 5 years ago
Come on Virgin, Cable Littlehampton!! I really really want to leave sky!!