TalkTalk offering LLU service at 2,037 exchanges
Thursday 28 July 2011 10:35:09 by Andrew Ferguson

TalkTalk has published its Q1 results, and the broadband results are a tale of two halves. The on-net LLU services are increasing in customers (added 35,000), but non-LLU is continuing to shrink (lost 62,000).

TalkTalk is continuing to expand its LLU operations, with 450 exchanges planned for unbundling this year, and aims to add 200,000-250,000 customers to its network this year. The last quarter saw 30 exchanges added to the LLU network. The firm which encompasses the AOL and Tiscali brands has some 2,827,000 customers on full LLU (MPF) and 815,000 on shared LLU (SMPF), plus a further 530,000 connected via the BT Wholesale platform. The TalkTalk fibre boost at £10 a month has a modest 1,000 customers at this time, but sales are running at around 200 per week currently.

While the TalkTalk LLU network covers some 2,037 exchanges out of the total of 5,500, this represents a very high proportion of the population, the work this year should take it 90% of households connected to an exchange where it can offer ADSL2+. This will put it ahead of the BT Wholesale WBC ADSL2+ rollout.

TalkTalk has often drawn criticism over customer service, and it seems things are improving. In June 2011, 75% of new orders were completed within 20 days, compared to just 50% six months earlier, additionally the number of customers cancelling orders between ordering and being connected has fallen significantly. The total number of calls to customer services/support fell by 40% compared to 12 months ago, in part due to the increase in online customer contact. This is reflected on our own forums, where people often find that the TalkTalk customer forums can be a much better route to get issues resolved.

Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
"people often find that the TalkTalk customer forums can be a much better route" - unless of course your connection is down :)
Posted by baby_frogmella over 5 years ago
Ever heard of mobile phone internet which most of us have? :)
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
Or heaven forbid, pop around to borrow neighbours connection, or a wi-fi link at a coffee shop.

Put another way, how did people report a broken phone 15 years ago?
Posted by Saurus over 5 years ago
15 years ago you would have called them on your analogue mobile!
Posted by TGVrecord over 5 years ago
If Talk Talk have lost 62,000 non LLU but only gained 35,000 LLU customers I make that a net loss of 27,000 customers. Considering they are aiming for at least 200,000 additional customers the figures do not stack up. Are there error in this news item?
Posted by TGVrecord over 5 years ago
After posting my previous comment I had a look at the Interim Management Statement for Qtr 1 and it gave me the impression that Talk Talk are talking up their prospects. If I was a director at TT I would be very worried as their investment in LLU does not seem to be translating into additional subscribers in the last quarter. This is especially poor considering the very expensive advertising campaign.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
LLU platform is gaining customers, but people who are on IPStream are bailing, why? Because IPStream ones are probably heavily contended old Tiscali customers.

Also as only the second large ISP to offer FTTC, they may see that as a new growth area
Posted by donkey_hellfire over 5 years ago
As I am connected to a market 1 exchange with about 2000 lines I was very sceptical when talktalk called this afternoon to offer a calls and broadband package of 12.7 mbps down and 1 mbps up. After I check their checker online it does indeed seem like they have LLU our exchange. This is the first increase in speed since ADSL MAX was made available in 2006!
Posted by TGVrecord over 5 years ago
I would expect LLU to gain customers but I suspect a large number were existing TT IPStream customers. As FTTC is not a cheap option I would question if it would translate into them achieving 200k additional customers! In any case they are facing competition from Sky in respect of FTTC.
Posted by donjay over 5 years ago
Can someone tell me how I find out whether I am on full LLU, shared LLU or what. Never heard of these terms before,what do they mean in practice. No one at Talktalk mentions these terms when you place an order.
Posted by andrew (Favicon staff member) over 5 years ago
If with talktalk directly and not paying the regional supplement of £15 on top of listed prices you will be on full LLU.

Most of the TalkTalk not on full LLU are actually old Tiscali/AOL customers
Posted by thowes2009 over 5 years ago
I've been with Talktalk for several years our exchange is full and it seems more people are still being connected.I can only get on line in morning or late at night without getting disconnected and thats at 0.4mps- 0.9mps and new customers with better speeds pay less.
Posted by clemenzina over 5 years ago
I'm a Homechoice>Tiscali>TalkTalk customer. I can't remember the last time the service went down, broadband, phone or TV.

My exchange is predicted to get FTTC on 1 September, I'll be interested to see what TalkTalk does with my broadband then, as an IPStream customer. I would pay £10 a month extra without a quibble for super-speeds :-)