Tesco to trial free Wi-Fi in stores
Tuesday 26 July 2011 10:38:50 by John Hunt

Tesco are to trial free Wi-Fi in stores in the UK which will give customers the option to get online whilst doing the shop. It follows a similar Wi-Fi service offered within Sam's Club, a US based wholesaler owned by Wal-Mart. Wi-Fi could help shoppers to read product reviews or compare prices between Tesco and other retailers whilst doing the weekly shop. It may also mean that the kids can be kept entertained by allowing them to get online and chat to their friends, or play games without getting a hefty data usage bill on their mobile devices.

Much of the infrastructure required to deploy the service is already in place as Tesco already use Wi-Fi for its own operations within stores. This will decrease the investment needed and should allow a nationwide role out to be swiftly achieved. With 2,700 stores in the country which cover almost 37 million square foot, it will significantly increase the places where you can get access to free Wi-Fi. Tesco are initially piloting this within 4 stores. It is likely to be offered free, but if customers abuse it by continuously streaming video, they may turn off the service.

Comments

Posted by jrawle over 5 years ago
Great, so now we have to put up with even more people in the supermarket getting in the way while they fiddle with their mobiles, oblivious to the fact that other people are using the store. It's bad enough all the people incapable of doing the shopping without phoning their partner to ask, "Do I buy Andrex or Cushelle?"
Posted by cyberdoyle over 5 years ago
brill, it means folk can use the wifi for free viber or facetime calls instead of expensive mobile charges. A definite plus for any business to offer as an add on.
I agree with previous poster though, it could get annoying, and it could be costly if folk use it for upgrades or movies...
Posted by christopherlyon over 5 years ago
"Wi-Fi could shoppers to read product reviews or compare prices between Tesco and other retailers"

My shop is always more expensive Tesco anyway. Looks like I will be sticking to ASDA
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@cyberdoyle

You don't need WiFi to use Viber.

£5 with Three gets you 1GB a month mobile internet.

@christopherlyon

Just remember when you take a bite into food from ASDA you can also taste the blood and sweat of the wage slaves that provide it.
Posted by drunkenmonkey over 5 years ago
This is likely part of their iphone app which will allow gps navigation to the location of any product using wifi triangulation which they have been trialling.
Posted by aldredd over 5 years ago
@Drunkenmonkey3
Sorry to be pedantic, but it's an Android app, not iPhone which is trialing the instore 'GPS' system. :o) (As there was no easy way of installing an iPhone app without going via AppStore, which they didn't want to do)

I don't think the two are really related though - the trial is far to much of a 'proof of concept' at the moment to be planning for a rollout.
Posted by dgmckenzie over 5 years ago
Great, next to no signal with T Mobile and no signal with O2 in my local Tesco. Might now get to use my Tesco apps.
Posted by comnut over 5 years ago
otester: and tesco customers get to use it fot ZERO per month...:)

havent found it my local yet, but I sure hope they have a better system than some pubs, that use web login, and log you off to frequently.. having to repetitively type email and password (that they change every day, so cannot 'auto'.... :( )

Posted by comnut over 5 years ago
BTW I don't think drunkenmonkey was serious..

GPS resolution to one INCH, now that would be a breakthrough.. to say nothing about the health and safety problems with an in store transmitter...
Posted by aldredd over 5 years ago
@comnut - nope, its very real - but basically uses wi-fi triangulation with known store & product location to create a 'sat nav' system.

Posted by BIORAPTOR over 5 years ago
I see this as a posative and a negative.
It will help a lot of people but it will also upset a lot of people.
My Tesco`s is in a BTFon area so I am lucky to not need such a service although if it becomes nation wide I bet it will not last long.You give people a yard and they will want a mile.
Posted by EastExpert over 5 years ago
Quite easy - make it reasonable low speed like 256Kbps and people won't do downloads, but will use it to look up prices on comparison sites, for example, to ensure they don't become had.

My Tesco is huge, and always offers coupons for things I want, instead of Sainsbury's giving me ones I hardly can use 'cause I don't need their stuff. So way to go, Tesco. I'll definitely use the service to look up prices and product descriptions.

Can't see this hugely hiking up costs, honestly.