24 exchanges to benefit from free fibre-to-the-cabinet setup
Monday 11 July 2011 18:29:53 by John Hunt

BT Openreach are to offer free setup for their fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) products at a limited number of telephone exchanges in a promotion which will run from the 7th of October to 31st December 2011. At full price, setup would cost £80 +VAT, but users connected to the 24 exchanges will be able to take it up for free.

As yet, the exchanges haven't been announced, but the offer is hoped to stimulate demand in specific geographic areas. This could be an answer to low-take up of FTTC services which BT said it was frustrated at. Whether service providers will pass on the savings to consumers is yet to be seen. Openreach have suggested that the savings could be used to invest in local advertising campaigns of the products rather than reducing fees to customers.

"The offer ... has been designed to encourage geographically targeted demand stimulation activities. CP's may wish to consider passing on the free connection saving at a local level or invest the savings in local Super-fast campaign activity."

BT Openreach Statement

Comments

Posted by cyberdoyle over 5 years ago
If they put the cabinets where people struggle to get a connection they would have more take up. As it is, they put them where there are a lot of people who already have what they consider is an adequate connection. No wonder they don't get the take up. What a waste of money advertising something a bit faster than what you already have.
Posted by Bob_s2 over 5 years ago
It is the usual sily way BT go about things. They enable the large exchanges usually in town & city centre. There will be a high level of businsses and a low level of houses. Businesses will either not want it or already have it (City centres generally being largely retail whos requirements are not that high)

ADSL speeds in these ares will usually be high & most will have cable.

Not supprisingly the highest take upof FTTC tends to be in outer areas of towns who have low ADSL sppeds and don't have cable. These areas as well tend to be the most afluent.

Guess what areas BT tends toavoid?

Posted by Going_Digital over 5 years ago
And those exchanges are ? Link to the offer details would help a lot here.
Posted by bosie over 5 years ago
I'm in Covent Garden, right bang in the centre of London. We don't have any cable or fibre services available to residential premises. Most of it goes to the suburbs of towns and cities where the residential population is higher and roads are more easily dug up.
Posted by herdwick over 5 years ago
@Bob_s2 - BT avoids the same areas that Cable providers and LLU avoid. The unprofitable ones.
Posted by Alchemyfire over 5 years ago
Maybe there would be a better take up if they actually put them in areas that dont have fast (21NC) broadband already? I'm pretty sure people would be more likely to upgrade who are on >8mb speeds.

Logic, it's not difficult.
Posted by Alchemyfire over 5 years ago

Logic, it's not difficult.
Posted by Alchemyfire over 5 years ago
Sorry for the double post. I only clicked once, i swear!
Posted by mervl over 5 years ago
It's not always obvious. I should have been an ideal candidate: edge of town, no cable, sub-4Mbps speeds on 21CN and now FTTC: but at less than 1km from the cabinet and due to the disintegrating underground local loop the speed would be a fraction of what it should be based on the distance. This is not unusual in the mass 60s/70s estates beyond the lucky cabled areas.
Posted by wirelesspacman over 5 years ago
BT are well aware that they need to claim that the low speed (aka rural) areas are "uneconomic" for FTTC. That way they can con the govt out of millions to upgrade them. The lessons they learnt during adsl rollout are being applied very well today!
Posted by chrysalis over 5 years ago
to bob_s2 I suggest you look into the rollout as what you said is wrong, this rollout has compared to pasdt rollouts been much more favourable to outside of city areas. Also there is various city areas with poor adsl sync speeds, mine is one of them.
Posted by chrysalis over 5 years ago
alchemyire, agreed. The best logic to me is to target these areas. (a) low sync speed areas (long/noisy lines, (b) areas with no 21cn, (c) areas with less wealth (higher dependency on internet).
Posted by timmay over 5 years ago
lol. Places that have the demand are sparsely populated, far from the exchange and more often than not on small rural exchanges. There is no profit to be had, no business case and the d-side will likely be too long for good speeds on FTTC. No wonder they avoid. I hope BT continue to avoid as well so that others can (in time) provide a true next-gen service.
Posted by GMAN99 over 5 years ago
@wirelesspacman if that's just a BT claim why don't LLU providers or Virgin do rural areas either? Are they all in this big scam together? Or... just maybe it really is uneconomical to go into these areas ever thought of that?
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
BT aren't stupid. They must have good reasons for targeting the exchanges/cabinets that they have. The reason is going to money. For /some reason/ those cabinets are more profitable than the other ones.

BT must have decided that it's better to get a take up of 10% in a VM area than 80% in a none-VM area. Money will be at the heart of it but a related factor in their thinking will be to deter defections to VM. People in those areas might be wavering and thinking of going to VM. By installing FTTC BT can head that off.
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
Ultimately BT are a business. They exist to maximize the returns for their shareholders. They do /not/ exist to provide a world class network - that's something that may or may not happen depending on how their reputation impacts their profitability.

We used to have a not-for-profit telecoms provider and most people that can remember it would not want to return to that.
Posted by rickw over 5 years ago
I am next to City Airport and cannot get FTTC. ADSL is 1Meg.
This is on an estate of 700+ homes.
BT cannot supply any sort of service at all.

Friends tell me that where they have reasonable ADSL speeds of 8meg or above they would not pay any extra for FTTC.

What a daft world we live in.

Posted by russianmonkey over 5 years ago
Following on from AndrueC's comment.

People who have had super fast services like Virgin's cable network are more likely to go for fibre services as they're willing to pay the rate to get the speed.

Thus in turn generates more profit long term.
Posted by themanstan over 5 years ago
The real issue is poor take up... people posting here do want high speed access, but the vast majority of people don't need it... so their view is why take it up and pay more... that is the simple fact that quite a lot of people here refuse to accept.

@rickw

switch to VM cable that will give you high speed broadband...

Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
It's very borderline for me and if it wasn't for a favourable financial situation I wouldn't even be considering it. I sync at 14Mb/s and thanks to BE have an unlimited service that runs at full speed 24/7. I also live in a small market town in South Northamptonshire.

I almost certainly will get an FTTC based service when it arrives early next year but only the upload increase is going to be useful. In fact like several other people I've suggested to Be that they look at developing a 20/10 service. That would reduce their costs while giving me - and others - all that they really need.
Posted by bsdnazz over 5 years ago
I'm in Twickenham on the Kneller Hall exchange which keeps having it's FTTC date pushed back. It was Sept 2011 and now it's some time in 2012.

I've got 4Mb ADSL and an 300yrds from my cabinet I'd to to FTTC in an instant it it were available as I'm happy with my broadband supplier.

OTOH, I'm in a Virgin area so may soon give up the wait and to got Virgin. However, I'm just one customer so can't see BT changing for me!
Posted by purpleogre over 5 years ago
I live in Yeadon and I'm on the Rawdon Exchange, I get approx 4Mb/s, the area is VM cabled up but not down our street. Rawdon exchange hasn't got a 21CN date or fibre. With two teanage gamers in the house I'd love a faster connection by way of FTTP or FTTC but i'm not holding my breath. I am marginally further away from the Guiseley Exchange but of course you can't swap exchanges...
Posted by Luckyknight over 5 years ago
Wheres the list? Without that this post is a little bit pointless!!!
Posted by philce over 5 years ago
So BT have finally relised what we in Leicester knew 2 years ago! If users have a decent ADSL/Cable connection then they wont change, most users dont even notice when their ADSL has been reduced due to a line fault etc. How will they notice a 10x increase in speed?
When FTTC first started we had no option but BT, only TT was LLU, and sub 2M long lines. So BT decided not to do anything here, Virgin upgraded, and now everyone who wants a decent conection changed to Virgin.

Posted by philce over 5 years ago
Cont...

BT really missed the boat here, and by the tone of this article, in lots of other places too.

Anyone remember Ionica? They did exactly the same thing, targeted the built up areas, they failed because anyone who could change phone providers already had (NTL offered free calls within their network then).

Sometimes these "marketing" guys need to look in the real world!
Posted by nothapi over 5 years ago
One place I know of is an area called Saltney just outside of Chester that is one of those places chosen. It has slow broadband in this area and you can normally only get around 2-3.5 Mbs on a good day. I spoke to the engineer who told me that the speed would be set at 100Mbs. We will see!
Posted by GMAN99 over 5 years ago
lol @purpleogre you must literally be within a few streets of me :)
Posted by russianmonkey over 5 years ago
@nothapi

That would make it FTTP not FTTC as indicated in the article. Your area may be part of the current standard Openreach rollout.

Can anyone read the article as it does say the list hasn't even been announced yet.
Posted by Somerset over 5 years ago
Fibre Only Areas Consultation

Posted by simonwhu over 5 years ago
Well in Braintree there is Fibre but not to out street. Not putting down certain areas but somewhere that does have it is not such an affluent road as ours is, going by house prices. Not sure I understand BT's logic
Posted by AspieMum over 5 years ago
I'd need FTTC to get a half way decent connection speed but the chances of getting fibre of any sort here are nil. We are too rural for it to be likely but too close to a city and town to count as rural for any rural schemes. Virgin Media think they have fibre in our area from the leaflets through the door but if I put my post code in to Virgin media's website it says we are not in a fibre or cable enabled area and can only get the ordinary broadband through the telephone line version.