Virgin Media contact 1,500 customers infected with malware
Thursday 16 June 2011 14:57:11 by John Hunt

Virgin Media have written to around 1,500 customers to warn them that their computers may be infected with a trojan horse known as SpyEye. The trojan is malware software which has gotten on to computers and may be used to steal information from the computer such as bank account username and password details or e-mail account information. SOCA (the Serious Organised Crime Agency) detected the infected users as part of its online work to protect the country.

"SOCA works with a range of private sector partners to help prevent cyber criminals from exploiting legitimate businesses and their customers. We welcome steps taken within industry to utilise the information and resources provided by law enforcement and raise awareness of online safety.

It is equally important, though, for consumers to help protect their finances and personal information by ensuring their computers are equipped with up-to-date security software. Complementing the practical advice and support Virgin Media provides to its customers, internet safety information is freely available at getsafeonline.org."

Lee Miles, Head of Cyber (SOCA)

Virgin last year announced a malware protection campaign and is continuing work in this area to help ensure its customers are safe online. Around a quarter of customers who have contacted Virgin through its Digital Home Support service have had not up-to date computer protection running and in some cases, no protection was installed at all.

"With increasing numbers of people getting online and a nation reliant on broadband, consumers are looking for more from their service providers to give them the confidence their online world is safe. Cybercrime is on the rise and the increasing sophistication of malware infections mean that all internet users could be at risk with devastating effects. We are taking this proactive approach to help protect our customers and to provide them the support and advice they need to stay safe online so that they can enjoy the best of the internet without the worry."

Jon James, (executive director broadband) Virgin Media

Comments

Posted by herdwick over 5 years ago
"which has gotten on to computers "

>vomit< Americanisms !
Posted by tedsloan over 5 years ago
Yes, first thing that struck me when I read the article. I am glad he didn't use "wanna" which is even worse!
Posted by greemble over 5 years ago
Not American, Middle English.
The term may still be used in parts of the U.S. but it's not from there originally.

It's generally fallen out of use in the U.K. Largely forgotten, perhaps?
Posted by Guest_Again over 5 years ago
Glad to be with Be*.
Posted by c_j_ over 5 years ago
"SOCA ... as part of its online work to protect the country."

I wonder how (and what permissions they had from who).

Presumably SOCA did this based on detecting outgoing traffic from SpyEye? As any half decent ISP with a clue could. Metronet used to, as did NTL before them. An infested customer's connection goes into a sandbox so no risk of (a) data loss (b) infection being passed on (c) customer not cleaning up.

When was that, ten years or so ago?

So why should we be thank SOCA or Virgin? They've wasted ten years.

Bunch of ******s.
Posted by NICK_ADSL_UK over 5 years ago
May i remind everyone that you must keep your anti virus up to date at all times and to make sure that you have a valid anti virus licence on your computer if using a shareware software like norton/nod32/ETC
For free anti virus you can use Microsoft's or avast
Posted by GeorgeLloyd over 5 years ago
I do hate "Gotton", stupid word.
Posted by zev1t over 5 years ago
As said by greemble, a word/expression that was used in English as we colonised America, which has been retained by the Americans, but which has fallen out of use in ours, as the language has moved on.
If I havent been written to by Virgin, can I assume I havent got this bug? How can I check my computer to find out?
Posted by jupiler over 5 years ago
I'm using virgins AV/firewall; If I've got it I want to know why!