Virgin Media pass 4 million homes with 100meg broadband
Friday 10 June 2011 12:39:47 by John Hunt

Four million homes now have access to 100meg broadband through Virgin Media's cable network, which can deliver over sixteen times the average national broadband speed. Over 100 towns across the UK now have access and they expect to complete roll out to cover 13 million homes by mid-2012. Virgin use a mixed network with fibre deployed to street cabinets and coaxial cable from there to the end user's home.

"As data consumption rises and consumers grow increasingly reliant on their broadband service, only Virgin Media's unique network is primed to cater for the UK's impending data explosion. With four million homes now able to 'get in the fast lane' with our 100Mb service, the UK is racing up the broadband league tables and we're delighted to be playing the leading role in boosting the UK's digital infrastructure."

Jon James, (Executive Director of Broadband) Virgin Media

For those who upload lots of data such as videos and photos, the 100meg product features a 10meg upload speed. 100meg broadband can be had for £35 per month when taken alongside a phone line, or £45 per month as a standalone product. Full product details are available on the Virgin Media website. Virgin have also targeted faster speeds with trials of 200meg broadband taking place, and a limited trial of 1.5Gbps to businesses in Old Street, East London.

The most recent roll-out information including dates for some areas can be found in Virgin's PDF. Note, some areas are "Being planned" still.

Comments

Posted by otester over 4 years ago
Load of ****.

VM enforces usage restriction in their AUP, if you download too much you get a letter, the terms also mean they can do pretty much what ever they feel.
Posted by AndrueC over 4 years ago
4 million homes passed is a good milestone but how many subscribers take that service? Back in April they said 150k were on 50Mb/s.

I still think this is VM 'willy waving'. Doubtless the technology works but I think if there was a sudden surge in demand they'd have kittens.
Posted by john (Favicon staff member) over 4 years ago
Once it's available, it's up to the users to take up the service though. For many it's a price point out of reach I would imagine though.
Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
Won't help the thousands that complain there is no cable service at all in their areas. Nice headline but worthless at the moment, most just don't want or need it
Posted by Capn over 4 years ago
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.html Still looks pretty good though.
Posted by djfunkdup over 4 years ago
re:Capn yea you are right on that one.you can download massive amounts of data before there is any need to worry about STM..i for one am looking forward to getting 100Mb in a few weeks as my date has been brought forward by 3 mnths to the end of june..re: the usual suspects..get a life..;)
Posted by Bob_s2 over 4 years ago
Take up seems to be coming along quite well and the pricing at this early stage of £35 is not unreasonable. In a few years time it will probably come down to about £25
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
@Capn

STM ain't the issue, the AUP is.
Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
Quite well bob? As AndrueC points out take up of 50Mb is low I expect 100Mb even lower. They've got it there for the future and that's great but I expect when used in anger there will be issues. As I keep saying why keep investing so much within their own network in terms of headline speeds they should be improving footprint but are too tight to do so.
Posted by Hubz over 4 years ago
but VM arnt building out to brownfield :/
Posted by Dixinormous over 4 years ago
Err VM's brownfield are the areas on the cable network already, do you mean areas they don't cover at all, greenfield?

They are doing some limited infill programs but there is no mass cable network build, nor is there likely to be.
Posted by Dixinormous over 4 years ago
Regarding VM being 'too tight' to improve their footprint, they aren't a charity they exist to make money. If they don't see the business case they won't do it, nothing to do with being tight or otherwise they've a duty to investors to look after their money and being generous, presumably the opposite of tight, by building out to areas without prospect of a return on investment isn't part of that duty. Remember that VM's costs per home aren't that far from BT's for FTTP, don't see huge debates on the virtues of BT deploying FTTP everywhere.
Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
No they aren't a charity. We are not talking about rural deployments here some parts of cities and big towns still don't have access to cable.

I know the cable network is patchwork but they had to take a risk in covering areas where they do already. So are you saying that's it 50% coverage is the limit? How can that make any business sense? I'm positive there are areas where they can make more money and get more customers.
Posted by themanstan over 4 years ago
Their debts limit their infrastructure capital. £5b ish on a net £200m loss for 2010. Maybe net zero for 2011, but until their debt around the £3b mark I don't see them rolling out beyond the 100,000 homes they've been doing every year.
Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
Which is why they are so keen to drive down PIA prices so they can rollout much cheaper. Shame they aren't willing to do the same themselves, everything would be easier if there was a standard price for duct access for BT and Virgin ducts.
Posted by Damoxuk over 4 years ago
I just wish Virgin started expanding there Cable network rather than still using the old NTL/Telewest cabled area's :(

Bah half a mile from cable here gah :)
Posted by idf03 over 4 years ago
Finishing the job in cabled areas would help. I live in a road without cable surrounded by roads that do have cable.
Posted by leggoman over 4 years ago
Yes but when you get it it's not that fast, I get speeds as low as 30meg some days, and £35.00 with phone line?
Like to know how you get that?
I,m paying £55
Like the free upgrade for 50meg customers 12 phone calls to get £30 pound activation fee back
The phone menu system sucks too
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
When it comes to quality/usage, it's hard to beat LLU.

As long as I got 5Mbps+, I wouldn't touch VM, STM/AUP makes it a silly choice.
Posted by Popa_Mintin over 4 years ago
Loggoman complains he's getting as low as 30Mbps some days ! I'm pleased as punch on the (very few) days I can get as much as 8Mbps !
I'm with VM and I'll stay with them, I find their service adequate and far superior to BT's. When I had the misfortune to have to rent a line from BT I'd get 125 Kbps most days and never more than 4Mbps, mostly these days I get a pretty reliable 6Mbps over exactly the same line that I used to have to rent from BT.

Poppa.
Posted by Bob_s2 over 4 years ago
Quote"Posted by leggoman about 19 hours ago

I,m paying £55
Thay may have the fastest broadband in the U.K but customer service is still very poor most of the time."Quote

50Mb from Virgin is only £25 in general as well with Virgin if it is 50Mb you generally get pretty close to that unlike with BT who advertise one thing and you get something a lot slower
Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
"unlike with BT (and any other ADSL ISP) who advertise one thing and you get something a lot slower"

A small correction Bob ;o)

Virgin go to great lengths to say you get what you pay for, I think its true for the majority but some areas are oversubscribed/contended so you don't
Posted by otester over 4 years ago
Decent DSL ISP's show you speed estimate before you purchase.
Posted by creakycopperline over 4 years ago
@gman99 well i would love it, unlike you i'm not content with weak as piss 500kbit line that jumps up and down every 5 minutes.
you keep living in your cave drooling over your precious BT.
Posted by qandrewmm over 4 years ago
100 Mb does not matter.
The service is so overloaded now day that you will be lucky to get a reliable 10 Mb

Up to a year ago, the 10 Mb service gave us a good 9 or so Mb. Now the 30 Mb service struggles to reach 8 Mb
Posted by bigluap over 4 years ago
0541 19062011
Website down for improvements

hopefully it will just work.
Posted by bigluap over 4 years ago
On the 30 mbit service. Speedtests to servers in Holland give results of 32.6 mbits throughout the day 0500 - 2359.
Only problem is most websites cant provide downloads at this speed. Most can only manage 10 mbit. So the headline speed is impractical, till the whole system can handle it.
Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
So can't you get Virgin Cable then creaky? Exactly my point (first post)
Posted by GMAN99 over 4 years ago
A quick check says no, cable isn't in Cleckheaton so that is my point. You may have a weak 500kbit line but without that rubbish line what would you be using? I don't drool over BT, just because I'm not a paid up member on the BT Bashing Bus it doesn't mean I love them
Posted by scootie over 3 years ago
so much here about bandwidth and foot print, why is jitter an loss not brought up here. it brill that i can max p2p out 24/7 at 30/3mb here in oldhaM apart from usage limits, but am a gamer and most use voip now days, so why do vm ignore all the jitter an loss issues, my old post office adsl 1.7mb / 448kbps gave 32ms/ 0-1 jitter all day. best vm can give alot worse mosst days at peak http://tinyurl.com/6feluxb
Posted by scootie over 3 years ago
bandwidth is nothing with out QOS and the latency/ jitter/ loss stats on mostvm connections show poor QOS, as said above not even there p2p mangment kit is turned on for me at least, bandwidth avablible to me good, yet most that bandwidth is pointless for udp packets
Posted by scootie over 3 years ago

example of how little vm care about QOS, fix dates come and go which make paying customers wait for months just to be told a new fix date has been set. seems VM just want the best headline speed ads and don't care about QOS. if my line gets as bad the op's i will be getting of contract rather than waiting for 3-4 fix dates to come and go