New fibre broadband provider to be launched by BE founders
Friday 20 May 2011 11:14:00 by John Hunt

A new fibre optic broadband player called Hyperoptic could be about to make its mark in the UK. It has been set up by the original founders of broadband provider BE which was sold to O2 a year and a half after conception according to ZDNet. Hyperoptic are set to go live in September and offer broadband speeds over fibre of up to 1Gbps.

There aren't plans for mass coverage however. The company will be focusing deployments on pockets of users which it can reach through one fibre, which will aim them largely at buildings with 50 or more flats. This could see full fibre deployed to the end user premises (FTTH) or fibre to the basement and the use of gigabit Ethernet connections from there.

Hyperoptic are keen to avoid tie-ins to companies such as BT and intend to use fibre from other companies if this is appropriate. Whilst they may obviously put some kit in to BT exchanges, they intend to keep control of the network and manage this throughout.

"Pushing the boundaries of online connection speed is a passion of mine. Consumers, especially in the UK, simply accept that their online connection is not as fast as the package they buy into. For the Hyperoptic team this is not acceptable. We want to open people's minds to the future beyond broadband and enable them to connect, explore and be satisfied – our technology will not disappoint. From consumers simply wanting to download an HD movie at home to fanatical gamers wanting to experience cloud-based action in 'real time', Hyperoptic is for everyone because where information is expected instantly, the future will be fibre."

Boris Ivanovic, (President) Hyperoptic

With launch still somewhat down the line, there is as yet no information on the kind of pricing likely to be available. The example packages shown seem to give customers options of 20meg, 100meg and 1gig speeds and they also promote VoIP and IPTV services, obviously intending this to be a one-stop solution to revolutionise the home entertainment for those lucky enough to get access.

Comments

Posted by themanstan over 3 years ago
This is very good news, this is the approach (FTTB+Eth) used in Europe to deliver services to apartment blocks.
Posted by dustofnations over 3 years ago
Very exciting! These chaps have an excellent track record, so I would not doubt they'll have some success.

Good luck to them, the more alternative networks the better. The more peering they have with different providers, the better too.
Posted by dustofnations over 3 years ago
BTW, I realise this is likely to be of primary interest to wealthy areas, and multi-tenanted buildings at first. Interesting precedent though.
Posted by dustofnations over 3 years ago
Sorry to triple post, but I notice that Tom Williams, old MD of BE has popped back up again. That's where he went ;-).
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
No plans for mass coverage... not so exiting then. We've already been here with h2o networks and the like haven't we?
Posted by herdwick over 3 years ago
Sounds good, but Be was essentially a market failure in terms of customer numbers despite having a premium product at a reasonable price.

Hope they do better this time.
Posted by doowles over 3 years ago
Finally someone targeting blocks of flats!
Posted by rian over 3 years ago
I think BE wasn't fail depending on your point of view. It's still the best option for gamer and heavy user.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
If its aimed at offices/hotels/flats etc I bet the install costs are enormous
Posted by Alchemyfire over 3 years ago
Is it me or have BE just stopped putting any more equipment in exchanges? There coverage has hardly improved over the last 2 years.

I could of course be horribly wrong.
Posted by Somerset over 3 years ago
There is a company who do student accommodation, similar?
Posted by c_j_ over 3 years ago
"There is a company who do student accommodation, similar? "

I'm thinking that too (and possibly not just students either) but cannot remember the name. Seem to remember a Yorkshire connection (but not BT Sheffield).
Posted by creakycopperline over 3 years ago
@GMANN NOplans for mass coverage, just like bt then.
Posted by haydnwalker over 3 years ago
@c_j_ the company you're thinking of is ASK4 :-)
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
@creaky:-

Mass coverage no but I'm sure this:-

tops anything Hyperoptic ever do to residential homes
Posted by Dixinormous over 3 years ago
Ages behind but about time someone started doing this.

Yes, BT's FTTP. That's going swimmingly so far, have they managed to get to the stage where a team can do more than ONE install per day? Anyone live yet, given September is 4 months away?

You'll excuse my cynicism BT are full of it as far as FTTx goes.
Posted by creakycopperline over 3 years ago
270 thousand homes? wow not even 1% percent of the uk population. and its crediting bt,
bt lacky you are.
Posted by russianmonkey over 3 years ago
Dixi aren't BT live in Kent as an FTTP network?

Admittedly it's a greenfield installation.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
creaky, how does that compare to other ISP's with their FTTP offerings?

russian, depends what you class as live, AFAIK its not even a product yet its still a very big trial.

I'd love it become a proper product a.s.a.p. so you can order it wherever you live rather than where they want to put it, obviously the installation charge would be dependant on location.
Posted by jhol3368 over 3 years ago
Creaky, at the last count there were approximately 25.5 homes in the UK so its over 1%. Were talking houses, not people.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
I'm not for a minute saying that is mass coverage as its obviously not, but its more coverage than anyone else at the moment. Until this Fuji thing takes off.....
Posted by Popa_Mintin over 3 years ago
: jhol3368 :
I think you'll find there are actually more than 25½ homes in the UK, there are definitely more than 25½ houses.
Posted by herdwick over 3 years ago
I'm not seeing "on demand" FTTH as a likely product available to random locations. BT's preferred GPON technology probably means at least 32 customers (or 64) required to make a single fibre run viable. The exchange would need the fibre kit to drive it too.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
No I doubt it will herdwick, more wishful thinking to be honest.
Posted by 303pedro over 3 years ago
GMAN99
Fujitsu's collaboration with Virgin was merely a marketing ploy. They claimed if they managed to get £500m from the BDUK pot of £530m then it would be feasible...not going to happen.
Posted by GMAN99 over 3 years ago
It was more tongue in cheek really Pedro I agree I doubt we'll see much if any progress on that front. I mean I wonder what share 500m would be in terms of overall cost of that project I bet it amounts to nothing and if so they should just crack on with it and fund it themselves, with it being such a cash cow 'n' all :)
Posted by jhol3368 over 3 years ago
Oops my bad, I meant 2.5 million homes....
Posted by jhol3368 over 3 years ago
doh! 25.5 million homes
Posted by russianmonkey over 3 years ago
I wonder where the half house came from? a tent? lol
Posted by herdwick over 3 years ago
The £500m is supposed to sort out the "final third" of ~9m homes. That's about £50 each then, should cover the router and drilling a hole in a wall.