TalkTalk announce small drop in broadband customers
Thursday 19 May 2011 08:45:47 by John Hunt

TalkTalk have today announced that they have completed the integration of the Tiscali UK and AOL businesses which has helped the company to achieve synergies of 55%. The integration was not without issues though and as a result, the company saw increased complaints and churn due to the disruption caused. TalkTalk end the financial year in March 2011 with a 4.7% increase in revenue up to 1,765 million, with profit growing by 24.5%, up to 122 million.

TalkTalk saw a small fall in the number of broadband customers again which was caused by a reduction in the number of customers taking up its services. Total customers held at 4.199 million (just over a 0.5% drop). The company now hold a LLU (local-loop unbundled) customer base of 3.607 million, 86% of the total customers, but they are striving to increase this to 93% through work to unbundle 700 further exchanges. 2.751 million of these customers are what is known as "fully unbundled" which means that TalkTalk provide both telephone and broadband services to the customer. 2,007 telephone exchanges have been unbundled by TalkTalk, although the company did not add any in the last quarter.

"During this first year since our demerger we have seen the benefits of our growth and scale being delivered in the form of strong earnings and cashflow growth. From FY 2012 our dividend policy will reflect our progress and the strength of our cash generation, and we aim to distribute 50% of our headline earnings per share as regular dividends.

It has been a year of intense activity for TalkTalk, as we successfully completed the integration of the former Tiscali business, re-focused our strategy, extended our network coverage, and launched a major restructuring to make our business more efficient. These far-reaching changes will enable us to offer a better experience for all our customers, and will build a strong base on which we can continue to grow our revenue and profitability."

Charles Dunstone, (Chairman) TalkTalk

A key focus the company are looking to is the launch of YouView which will allow TalkTalk to integrate quad-play services within its customer portfolio bringing customers access to freeview, on-demand catchup servers and also a choice of pay-TV channels. The company see this as a key service which will help drive demand for faster broadband services such as fibre as customers demand high-definition content over the platform. Trials of fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) technology are continuing with BSkyB in an R&D project in North-West London which will provide the company insights in to the potential of FTTH and details of its usage.

Comments

Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
The drop will be their gamers using Xbox Live, for 4 - 5 weeks starting in February lots of their customers couldn't use Xbox live it would disconnect them every 30mins (you could set your watch by it) it caused fury as you can imagine, TT blamed Microsoft for 4 weeks, then made a change on their network and it magically fixed it, despite constant requests for an explanation they simply brushed it under the carpet. Good service!
Posted by mhisani over 6 years ago
People playing on WoW in the US router over tiscali/tinet have huge huge ping problems. Yet other ISPs manage fine and actually investigate issues. Will Talktalk never learn?
Posted by krazykizza over 6 years ago
TalkTalk drop planned exchanges like flies sometimes.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
It's their back haul, I'm Currently on a TalkTalk Wholesale package (reseller), performance is great.

pingtest.net - 15ms, 1ms jitter, 0% packet loss grade A.
Posted by harry-pyne over 6 years ago
I am one of those who dropped out. After being a broadband customer from the very start, I was without an efficient phone or any broadband service when I moved house for 2 months before being rescued by BT. An agreed date not kept, numerous E-mails, answered but obviously not read and 3 recorded deliveries to senior officers without the courtesy of a reply said it all "TalkTalk".
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@harry-pyne

You kind of deserve it for picking such **** ISP's.

Especially when you know of sites such as these which are designed to prevent people from falling into fail traps.
Posted by gbswales over 6 years ago
when you live in an area where only TT have LLU then its hobson's choice. Though don't mind saying that I pay through the nose for a business level ADSL max package to get a fairly consistent 5mbs but £26 a month for just the internet and then paying BT for calls is not a cheap option.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@gbswales

There are resellers, so don't give me that rubbish.

TalkSurf Pro package with Xilo, £25 inc. line rental.
Posted by Guest_Again over 6 years ago
Tsk.Tsk.Tsk - I am not a fan of this ISP. Been there. Done that. Never again.

TT are crepe, and not worth further comment. {=',.,'=}.
Posted by Delboy0754 over 6 years ago
never heard that before, come out with what you mean to say, CRAP.As for talk talk, should be renamed as "DUMB DUMB"
Posted by Paul-B over 6 years ago
I have had great service from TalkTalk - moved to them some 3 years ago from Zen as the LLU'd my exchange. Speed jumped from 3.5 mbps to 11 - 12 mbps, rock steady. I had to use their customer service some 2 months ago when there was a fault on the line and I lost my landline plus speed dropped to <2 mbps. They were brilliant, got BT involved and fixed the fault within a week. So now I pay £27/month for uncapped fast broadband, line rental, and free UK calls 24/7/365.
Posted by baby_frogmella over 6 years ago
Well said Paul-B! There are are some of us who are actually very happy with TalkTalk's LLU broadband and would NEVER go back to a BT (spit) ip-stream based service. I've now been with talktalk for 8 months (only LLU provider at my exchange) and get 17 meg speeds 24/7. Their web support believe it or not is AAISP-esque quality :) Talktalk rocks!
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@baby_frogmella

AAISP doesn't traffic manage.

It's an insult to compare them.
Posted by baby_frogmella over 6 years ago
TalkTalk also doesn't traffic manage on static ip connections (like i have). Anyway my point was their WEB support is just as good as AAISPs if not better. The Talktalk OCEs get a fair amount of abuse thrown on them (usually by the uneducated masses) yet they ALWAYS manage to solve the cutomers problem in a polite way.
Posted by baby_frogmella over 6 years ago
Anyway as good as AAISP are, they STILL have to rely on BT's DSLAMs for the physical connection and as as everyone knows, nearly every BT exchange up and down the country creeps to a halt come teatime. LLU ADSL2+ and LLU based FTTC/FTTP are the way forward.
Posted by tiggerrmummy over 6 years ago
Talk talk drop in sales..? shame...
Thats due to over aggressive doorstep sales people trying to barge their way into my home recently... twice in the space of a week... (said they wanted to check our telephone line and did we have a letter saying they were coming..)
No way in hell would I let those scum over my door step let alone take up broadband with them!!!
Also they said our line is being upgraded to fibre... like hell it is, our town is a no go area for fibre so how TT can say that is beyond me..
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@baby_frogmella

They offer service via Be/O2's LLU...
Posted by zyborg47 over 6 years ago
@tiggerrmummy, So Talk Talk sales reps are still telling their lies then? they told me 3 years back that I could get 5megabits or more and that the exchange was being LLU that June, it took another 18 months before it became LLU. Goo job I did not listen to them, mind you I will never go with Talk Talk or anything else to do with that company
Posted by tommy45 over 6 years ago
It should be made mandatory that any isp that offers its services via FULL LLU (FMPF) have to inform all customers at the time of signing up that
1 the MAC process does not apply should they wish to leave them,and that there would be downtime and costs involved in order to be able to receive a bb service from another isp, or new legislation needs bringing into force so consumers get a better deal,
Posted by tommy45 over 6 years ago
Con't : 2, should pay all charges made by openreach for the RTD service, IMO both sky and tt, are best avoided
Posted by russianmonkey over 6 years ago
To be fair Tommy, if all ISPs used the OpenReach network rather than going via BT Wholesale, then RTD would probably end up cheaper overall.
Posted by tommy45 over 6 years ago
Openreach only maintain the network and line plant, bt wholsale is too expensive hence why we have several isp's that have there own core networks, but most of them only provide a SMPF partial llu, which supports the MAC process, if the iother two wish to be different they should be made to pay if and when customers decide to leave them,especially if they have failed to provide a reasonable level of service and support, if that makes the end price more inline with all the others then so be it, cheap isn't always the best
Posted by russianmonkey over 6 years ago
They also offer WLR3 telephone lines for ISPs as MPF lines or managed by BT Wholesale.

I agree, cheap doesn't tend to be the best in the majority of cases based on things like support and investment in the network.
Posted by mikeupd over 6 years ago
We dropped them months ago, their business arm isn't much better either.
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
and...

Posted by Blognorton over 6 years ago
Well OFCOM have hit them where it hurts "dishonest, misleading sales likely to deceive purchasers and influence their decisions"

I wonder what Jack Hackett has to say about that.
Posted by TGVrecord over 6 years ago
@ Blognorton

Don't tempt fate!
Posted by stewart_uk over 6 years ago
I have just "escaped" from TT to Eclipse. The speeds may be just as variable (my local exchange) but the overall package is 10x better.
Posted by searcher100 over 6 years ago
Been with TT for 16 months just taken another 12 months 6 of which at half price. 14.98Mbps download Average 0.83Mbps upload Average as verified by a samknows equipment monitoring my connection 24/7 my local exchange is Louth in Lincolnshire. If anyone on this forum can reply to this with a better deal or connection feel free to inform me of this as soon as possible and I will turn my happy face off. I'm waiting with bated breath.