YouView finalises technical specifcation
Friday 15 April 2011 10:53:46 by John Hunt

YouView, the on-demand TV service that will offer viewers access to BBC iPlayer and other content through a set-top box connected to a television, yesterday released the final core technical specification for manufacturers building YouView devices to conform to. It details the technologies used and needed to deliver broadcast TV and on-demand IP based content to a TV from a broadband enabled device, and enable manufacturers to build compatible devices. The Digital TV Group (DTG), who are made up of over 140 organisations involved in TV, will be pleased to read that the YouView documents makes reference to the 'D-Book 7' specification which brings in Connected TV standards to help ensure that industry develops devices that are interoperable. The group previously spoke of concern about lack of industry involvement from YouView.

"We're delighted to confirm the final launch specification for YouView to help any manufacturer develop a connected TV device. Through promoting common technical standards for connected TV, consumers will get the widest possible range of devices supporting high quality content."

Richard Halton, (CEO) YouView

New device partners have also been announced which include Huawei, Manhattan, Pace and Vestel who will join existing partners Cisco, Humax and Technicolor who have already committed to developing the set-top box hardware.

YouView is already behind schedule and was expected to be launched this year but has been pushed back to 'early 2012' which has been blamed on the "significant technological innovation" required for the project.

Comments

Posted by EnglishRob over 5 years ago
I just hope it comes to XBMC and MythTV (and I guess Windows Media Center too) :-)

Rob
Posted by 12eason over 5 years ago
What an original name. I bet they charge for something that is currently free too.
Posted by acpsd775 over 5 years ago
@12eason lol i was just thinking the same thing lol
Posted by AndrueC over 5 years ago
"significant technological innovation". Like what? I already own two PVRs that support online services like iPlayer. There's also my PS3 which supports pretty much every online player there is as well various media servers.
Posted by ro2778 over 5 years ago
I really don't understand how Lord Sugar makes any money
Posted by TGVrecord over 5 years ago
Lord Sugar makes most of his money from property.
Posted by ro2778 over 5 years ago
haha autism alert. That was more a rhetorical question to get across the point that, this idea sounds rubbish. :)
Posted by cyberdoyle over 5 years ago
On demand isn't like iplayer. on demand means you can watch anything, any time, and even record it. it will play through your tv and you can interact with it without even owning a computer. I suspect the innovation has come in because it just won't work in a third of the country because their broadband isn't good enough. If the product is to work then a lot of tweaking is going to be needed. P2P?
Posted by awoodland over 5 years ago
@cyberdoyle - I already have exactly that on my TV, right now, with no need for PC anywhere in between. P2P isn't some kind of magic wand either, you still can't fit quart in a pint pot it mostly reduces distribution costs for content providers, which isn't the problem.
Posted by DJBlu2003 over 5 years ago
This is a great concept which shows how media is should be distributed. The only worry will be the amount of data that will be put through IP. I notice that Freeview will be delivering Live TV and MHEG5 but the on demand will be similar to iPlayer. I know that my home broadband will be put through its paces should I wish to watch an on demand HD program. I am just reading up on this but surely ISP's aren't going to be happy with the amount of data throughput required for this to take place.

Just my 2 pence worth.
Posted by DJBlu2003 over 5 years ago
is/should *
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
@DJBlu2003

Only **** ISP's will struggle and have a problem with it, premium ISP's will chuck along quite happily.
Posted by otester over 5 years ago
chug*
Posted by CogitoBB over 5 years ago
DJBlu2003: "This is a great concept which shows how media [should] should be distributed."

For the majority, perhaps. There are some of us who live in sparsely-populated rural areas and are served by a relay having a limited Freeview channel line-up (so we use satellite) and, unsurprisingly, neither do we enjoy fast broadband.

The YouView website has been "confused" and the FAQ section of earlier editions talked about connecting a dish to the STB (!) while also stating that it's essentially a Freeview box when not internet-connected.
Posted by DJBlu2003 over 5 years ago
I can sympathise with you, I work on Anglessey and live in South Wales, hence my mention of my broadband connection being pushed to the limit. The more online applications that require broadband the better, as surely the core network and access to it has to improve. It does annoy me also that living in London etc gives those access to all sorts of options but we can't blame those that live there. Its all about returns against investment. Given time, as with most technology. Things do and will improve. It is a pity that we in the rural reaches have to wait the longest but thats the way it is.
Posted by Oddball over 5 years ago
"I really don't understand how Lord Sugar makes any money "

He keeps hot air baloons in business.
Posted by gdavidbeck over 5 years ago
Why can't this functionality be included in the TV or Blu-Ray boxes as the current catch-up services are. This is beginning to look a lot like DAB.