Plusnet announce cheapest fibre-to-the-cabinet broadband products
Tuesday 29 March 2011 16:47:04 by John Hunt

Plusnet are the latest broadband provider to announce their fibre broadband products which will be available from the 19th April, and at £16.49 a month, will be the cheapest so far in the UK. At that price, users will receive speeds of up to 40Mbps and a usage allowance of 40GB per month. Between midnight and 8am, there is an unlimited usage allowance period which will be useful for those wanting to download more. With a faster service, many users may find they can consume more content in higher quality which means higher usage allowances are desirable. Plusnet Extra Fibre therefore offers a 120GB usage allowance for £21.49 per month. The usual set up fee of £50 is waived if you sign up for Plusnet's Home Phone service with either product before 30th June 2011.

"Plusnet Fibre is the next generation of broadband and 96 per cent of our trialists say they would recommend the service to friends. This will really benefit households where there are several users and with increased speeds, it makes it possible to download a 30 minute TV show in less time than it takes to make the cup of tea to enjoy with it as you sit down to watch."

Jamie Ford, (Chief Executive Officer) Plusnet

This fibre option from Plusnet does seem good value when compared to other providers offering fibre-based broadband, even undercutting their parent company BT. The number of providers currently selling fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) broadband is set to increase over the coming months as broadband ISPs will not want to be left behind as rivals start to get people connected faster using the new fibre cabinets that Openreach are deploying around the country. There is more information, including details of fibre broadband providers in our fibre broadband guide.

Comments

Posted by Northwind over 6 years ago
Hmm, so still no compelling use-case for FTTC beyond "you can turn the Internet into telly".
Posted by themanstan over 6 years ago
Except for those who live far away from an exchange, but are reasonbaly close to a cabinet (which manages to be activated).
Posted by New_Londoner over 6 years ago
@Northwind
Different story for home-workers and SMEs of course - the jump in upload speed from around 0.5Mbps to up to 2Mbps, 10Mbps or even 15Mbps makes a significant different for email, access to cload services and sending large files to clients etc. It also makes video conferencing a far more attractive proposition too.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
So where does it say you get the unlimited night usage? Can't find it via the link or fibre FAQ.

@Northwind

P2P...Usenet...Steam...
Posted by themanstan over 6 years ago
Posted by OldSchoolSoldier over 6 years ago
Mmmm, traffic shaping.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@themanstan

Thanks.
Posted by orly2 over 6 years ago
Should be a useful product for some.

Can't see any mention of upload so i'm guessing it'll be 2Mbit to save them money.

The 40GB option seems like a waste of time to me but that might just be my own opinion. Just can't see why you'd want FTTC but then not use it enough to justify a decent allowance. The 120GB product should be very appealing. Similar options from the likes of Aquiss are around £50/month.

The traffic management should be interesting.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
Still rather go with the £90 aka. unlimited option with a decent ISP.

Plusnet on Ispreview's Top50 list is worse than BT.
Posted by chrysalis over 6 years ago
no wonder BT struggle to justify FTTC rollout, as their 2 retail isp's are underselling it as a budget product.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
Even with the usage limits it will appeal to some, believe it or not there are still plenty of people that just use the net for surfing and checking emails but have low (sub 2Mb) speeds, I'm sure they'd welcome this increase in speed
Posted by Northwind over 6 years ago
Fair points about the upload data rate and the rural advantages. But the ISPs in general aren't pushing those benefits. Why not?

For someone for whom FTTC is available, though, I haven't seen any compelling reason to move from a 10 down / 1.2 up Annex M service.

Posted by Northwind over 6 years ago
otester:

P2P and Usenet don't need FTTC-level throughput unless, I say again, you're using the Internet as TV.

Not a common use-case, I contend, hence poor FTTC take-up.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
"BT Group have responded too slowly to the growth of LLU and I and many others are quite comfortable where we are! " Probably right yes, they should have had it ready to deploy as LLU was taking off or just after, but no doubt Ofcom would have put a block on it from a competitive angle like they did in their previous guise years ago when BT were looking to rollout fibre and they said no as it would hurt up and coming cable companies
Posted by BIORAPTOR over 6 years ago
@ GMAN99

I am one of those statistics who uses the net just for that & would love a faster ISP.
Posted by jrawle over 6 years ago
Yes, FTTC would be good for people in rural areas who can only get low speeds due to line length. But how many of those areas are fibre-enabled?
Posted by mabibby over 6 years ago
@chrysalis

I disagree, for BT this is a numbers game. Maintaining multiple infrastructures is expensive. Budget options like PlusNet's make moving the destination architecture (FTTC) much more viable for the masses.

Just because they on-board everyone at a low monthly cost now does not mean prices can't increase in the future.
Posted by Scubaholic over 6 years ago
I used to be with PlusNet but jumped ship to Be as ADSL+2 was a distant prospect with PN. The price looks good but does the unlimited really have to be only between 12-8am? Their useage cap used to be 4pm to midnight & not weekends.
With HD on iPlayer & the chance to stream DVD via well known renting Co. is 120GB going to be enough?
My exchange/area should be enabled at the end of the year so time to make an informed choice. Don't like the 18 month contract either.
Posted by AlexGeorge over 6 years ago
Unlimited download has to be a given for proper use of a 40MB service or theree's no point. There is Digital Region FTTC here in S yorks. ask4 are a good ISP that look after student halls broadband and are offering unlimted FTTC over Digital Region fibre @ £25 a month.
Posted by NetGuy over 6 years ago
@orly2

You may think 40 GB 'peak' limit is useless, but at under 17 quid seems fine to me.

Someone wanting 120 GB in peak hours would only pay about another fiver. Don't mind a bit of traffic shaping, the off-peak makes up for it. Would change to sleep days!

I am using the 60 GB a/c to the full and pull maybe 100 GB in the 'unmetered' hours for a bit less but with 5+ km wire my d/l speed is about 2.5 Mbps and unlikely to increase.

If FTTC came to nearby cabinet (100 metres) then even if I only got 8 Mbps I would be much happier than now.
Posted by NetGuy over 6 years ago
@ Northwind

"haven't seen any compelling reason to move from a 10 down / 1.2 up Annex M service. " understandable, but seems to me BT has rolled out FTTC in areas where Sky, Virgin or O2/BE exist (hence 7-8000 subscribers at Bagshott or Middlewich get FTTC) but town with 20,000 sub lines, University, Hospital, Council HQ, etc still no FTTC.. only had Sky 3Q of 2010 so ignored by BT it seems!
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
"Unlimited download has to be a given for proper use of a 40MB service or theree's no point." - No it doesn't as per my previous comments. If you want Unlimited go for Infinity at £26, if don't want unlimited pay less £16.50 with Plusnet, there should be a product & price for all customers
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
To be honest that usage would suit me. I mostly only surf and read some email. I occasionally use iPlayer but only if one of my PVRs fails (rare) or I miss something of interesting (pretty rare).

The biggest user of my connection is probably Windows Update.

Then again I already have a 14Mb/s sync so moving away from BE to BT just for speed doesn't make sense. I might not do much downloading but I like the way I can currently always do it full speed.
Posted by chrysalis over 6 years ago
mabibby prices can go up of course and it may well be their plan, but it wont happen because if anything FTTC will get more competitive sooner or later when talktalk and skybb join in. At that point infinity will have lost its major advantage over them and will be forced to keep prices down.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
Can't see Sky or TalkTalk doing the same sort of package for cheaper than Infinity, if they did it would be by a few pounds only I mean its already rock bottom.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@Northwind

If you don't mind waiting ages then I guess not...

If I invite mates round and we want to watch a (12GB) HD movie it's a choice between 4h50m (5.5Mbps - current speed) or 45m (35Mbps - rough FTTC speed).
Posted by orly2 over 6 years ago
@NetGuy

I understand your point, but I can only see it being interesting to those on very slow speeds currently. When they have a 60GB ADSL product at up to 20mbit for something like 11 quid, I don't really see a comepelling reason to spend more for a bit more speed when you don't really use it much.

The 120GB product should prove very popular based on the pricing. Other very expensive ISPs should be worrying.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@orly2

No they shouldn't, they provide a superior service:

-Better support.
-Full sync speed 24/7.
-More usage.
-No protocol shaping/throttling.

Saying expensive ISP's should be worried is like saying the likes of Waitrose should be and they are on the same profit level (per head) as Tesco.
Posted by orly2 over 6 years ago
@otester

Of course they should. You might not have seen the FTTC survey I've been running on the forums but BT Infinity is far and away the most popular ISP generally because of the price and the high/unlimited allowance.

Throw in another BT owned company, Plusnet, with 120GB peak for even less money and observe the customers piling in.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
@orly2

Yes the majority of people go for price.

However just like pre-FTTC some people still want a superior service even if it costs more.
Posted by elder666 over 6 years ago
good case for FTTC is to expand reach into the sticks. Until last Oct 512K connection with download speeds of 256K or less where available. (6 miles from exchange). Now I get 30MB down 2Mb up easy.
Posted by cjogle over 6 years ago
I was with metronet, which was taken over by Plusnet which I now beleive was taken over by BT wholesale, and recently changed my phone provider to them from BT. I was looking forward to FTTC. I now find that my exchange (PAR) is soon going to be offering FTTC through BT but no sign of it through Plusnet. Did I make a mistake?
Posted by walkerx over 6 years ago
Only just seen this and must say - if you live in South Yorkshire and you can get digital region - go with them - people saying 40GB is enough are wrong - if 40gb is enough you don't need a 40mb connection - 1GB of data can be downloaded in 15 minutes and 120GB is not enough that's why BT increased their limits