Aquiss announce a try before you buy broadband offer
Friday 18 February 2011 14:55:51 by John Hunt

UK broadband provider Aquiss have announced today a "try before you buy" scheme that will allow customers to test their service for free for a month. The offer applies only to the Aquiss Family and Gaming products and will allow broadband users to test the service to see if it is up to scratch before committing to a contract. With free migration in and out using MAC's customers will not be charged at all for the service.

Some Terms & Conditions apply though. The offer is only open to BT based broadband lines (so those who have a line for example from TalkTalk at the moment cannot take part in the offer). Notice must be given within 10 days of service and migration must occur within 28days of activation. A broadband cease charge will apply (£30) if the line is cancelled rather than migrated.

One gotcha that could affect Aquiss is BT's dynamic line monitoring (DLM) system which can limit the speed you receive in the first 10 days of service whilst it profiles your line to help with stability. With Aquiss requiring notice within 10 days of the start of service, users might not be receiving the full line speed that could be capable until after they have given notice to Aquiss that they don't want to continue with the service!

To take part in the offer, use the offer code 'TRYBUY' within signing up. This is valid until 15th March 2011.

Posted by herdwick over 6 years ago
DLM never limits the speed for 10 days, and in any case an inward migration will already be within DLM control as an eisting service.
Posted by nmg196 over 6 years ago
John, the 10 day "limit" is an urban myth - it doesn't exist. There is nothing special about the 1st 10 days other than it is used as a benchmark if you later report a fault. When the routers are syncing up, do you honestly think they know they're in some kind of training period and that they should sync more slowly?
Posted by ccohen over 6 years ago
Not sure it is a myth - I had terrible speeds and it turned out that my router was dropping the line every time my Macs were asleep. Replace router, and leave router on for 72hrs and watch the speed increase - I now get a magnificent 200KB in out in the boondocks.
Posted by g3rft over 6 years ago
Yes ccohen, I too don't think that it is a myth and for example, I have heard about people switching routers off(along with other stuff at night ) in order to be "green"- subsequently the lack of response from the router has caused speed to be reduced in an effort to acheive a speed at which things will work.
Posted by PeterBrunning over 6 years ago
I had a period of very poor line quality (voice & broadband) when my connect speed was progressively lowered. After BT repaired the fault, the engineer warned me it would take a few days before it reached full speed. This was true but I was eventually very pleased as I get about 4 Mb/s and I'm about 3 miles from the exchange.
Posted by ccohen over 6 years ago
May I ask where you are? I am 4 miles from the Deddington, Oxon, exchange and only get 200KB/s and am told to expect no more.

Is there a logarithmic fall off in speed to distance ratio?
Posted by gm6trs over 6 years ago
I think the point about the 10 day training period is that the Maximum Stable Rate, and thereby the Fault Threshold Rate, will be fixed in relation to the lowest sync in the period. So it might run well for nine days but you'll be penalised if a burst of noise occurs on Day 10.