YouView product launch scheduled for early 2012
Wednesday 09 February 2011 11:41:45 by John Hunt

Following news of delays to the YouView project which will bring the Internet and catch-up TV on to the television, YouView have announced that the service is now planned for a full consumer launch in early 2012. A trial will begin at the end of those year before the full-service goes live. The technical specification for launch products will be published shortly which will enable industry to start development on YouView hardware.

"Our focus has always been to deliver a product to consumers that is right, but not rushed. Creating a truly open TV platform that will bring consumers increased choice has required significant technological innovation. Our timings for the launch reflect the scale and complexity of this project."

Richard Halton, (CEO) YouView

YouView is the product that has been piqued to marry the Internet with the TV in the UK as it incorporates all the catch-up TV platforms of the UK terrestrial channels such as 4oD, BBC iPlayer and ITV Player. Delays to the launch may have harmed potential take up as competitors are starting to take hold of the market with TV manufacturers bundling 'connected TV' services within their new models, allowing people to get online directly on their TV's. With many large backers though, and TalkTalk counting on YouView to allow them to provide quad-play services, YouView is unlikely to be a forgotten name in a year or two.

Posted by zyborg47 over 6 years ago
They will have missed the boat by then, the last place to change to digital will be London and around that area, by the time You View comes out, that will be the only place to change over.

Posted by SheepFarmer over 6 years ago
@zyborg47 I don't think the digital changeover will make much of a difference here. They'll struggle more if competitors have got a decent system to market before they launch, but with the big players behind it I don't think it will make much difference.
Posted by gbswales over 6 years ago
One problem is that big players like Humax are already in there and if attempts to bring catch up services to existing boxes is stifled, as I believe it will be, consumers will yet again be pushed towards replacing hardware. The very late to market update for Humax boxes is still in beta and has only one catch up link with no more defintitely promised
Posted by zyborg47 over 6 years ago
Digital switch over will make a big difference, Unless you went for Freesat or Sky, until analogue switch off, HDTV is not possible, once switch over happens people will start buying HD Freeview boxes, once they have paid £200 for a nice HD freeview PVR, they are not going to do the same thing again 12 months later, just so they can have a box that may have different content with on Demand.
If I go for a HD box now, I will go for a Freeview or Freesat box, but I am not going to pay out for another box next year.

Posted by EnglishRob over 6 years ago
I'm tempted to upgrade to a HD box, I'm undecided if I should get a standard basic Freeview HD box or the Virgin HD box (as it happens I have a Free To Air HD Satellite box but I can't get a signal due and haven't had a satellite installer around to sort it).

By the time YouView comes out hopefully Freeview HD USB adaptors will be available and well supported in Windows and Linux, and if this is the case I'll just build a media PC and have done with it.
Posted by alan-borers over 6 years ago
"YouView is the product that has been piqued to marry the Internet" ! ! !
Why is a product annoyed to marry the Internet?

Just because spell check does not draw a red squiggle is no reason to think an article is ready to publish