TalkTalk eye quad-play and fibre broadband options
Tuesday 08 February 2011 16:45:43 by John Hunt

TalkTalk have announced total revenue for their third quarter of £444 million which saw the total broadband customer base reduce by 25,000 to 4.224 million, although with this drop, it saw broadband revenue increase by 7%. The average revenue per user grew by £1.10 compared with Q3 he previous year to £24.90. The main reason for the fall in broadband numbers was churn in the former Tiscali base as network and systems integration created some 'disruption' for customers.

"We have made a good start implementing the new strategy we announced in November last year, focusing on simplifying our business, improving our operating margins, and delivering value for money products and services for our existing customers.

We successfully completed the last major milestone in our One Company integration programme at the end of January, migrating former Tiscali customers onto our core billing system, ahead of schedule. The integration programme has caused some customer disruption, but provides a strong platform for us to deliver a better experience for all our customers, and enables us to drive further operating efficiencies across the whole business.

Unbundling our customer base is ahead of target and the next phase of our network build- out is already under way. We have now initiated a major reorganisation that will simplify ourbusiness and deliver material operational efficiencies.

Our operating performance in the third quarter was in line with our expectations and we remain on track to deliver our full-year guidance."

Dido Harding, (Chief Executive) TalkTalk

The company have announced that the 'One Company' integration is reaching its final stages with the former Tiscali services near completion, and it estimates when complete, the process will save the company around £55m annually. Through other operating efficiencies, a reorganisation that will integrate technology and IT capabilities will see savings of around £25m a year, but this will also lead to 580 job losses.

In unbundling news, the company have achieved the target of 85% of customers being connected to their LLU network. 55 exchanges are currently in the process of being unbundled whilst 700 are in the pipeline to reach the target of 93% of the population.

TalkTalk have also been looking at fibre, with the availability checker launched for their "Fibre Optic Boost" allowing people to increase speeds to up to 40meg through the user of BT Openreach's fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) network. They have also interestingly joined forces with BSkyB in a research and development project into fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) and as part of this will roll out a small FTTH network in North-West London of around 3,600 homes. The aim is to gain knowledge about how this will be used and how much it could cost to deliver, which will allow the company to input constructively towards Openreach's fibre programme.

Quad play is still being eyed after the company launched some mobile options, and they plan to sell this in to the fixed-line customer base. Once YouView has launched, this will give the company the 4 products that will allow it to become a quad-play competitor, selling fixed-line, broadband, mobile, and a TV service all as one solution.

On the business side of things, Opal has been re-branded as 'TalkTalk Business', and it saw revenue in this sector stay broadly flat year-on-year. The majority of the revenue comes from broadband and higher-value Ethernet type services. The voice business has seen a steady decline as has been common amongst other voice operators.

Posted by tommy45 over 6 years ago
MMM, "Jack of all trades and master of none" spring to mind here
Posted by mike41 over 6 years ago
Quote: "The (Tiscali) integration programme has caused some customer disruption"

Surely the understatement of the year?
Posted by cyberdoyle over 6 years ago
'Fibre optic boost' is acceptable description of FTTC. Just sayin. as we all know it isn't 'fibre broadband' unless its fibre to the home. My dial up is fed by fibre. My dad's 0.5 meg broadband is fed by fibre too.
Posted by Somerset over 6 years ago
cd - only in your mind. Your network isn't fibre because it's got a 2M radio link!
Posted by herdwick over 6 years ago
T-T Share price down 3%

I hope he gets fed something other than fibre or he won't be around for long.
Posted by CaptainHulaHoop over 6 years ago
well, at least you are starting to listen and learn a bit, but still. i don't think many people care what you say.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
"as we all know" - Nope.
Posted by baby_frogmella over 6 years ago
@ tommy45
Actually being a TalkTalk customer i would say their LLU broadband is very, very good :) Of course its very easy to jump on the anti-talktalk bandwagon when you've never even been a customer of theirs eh tommy?
Posted by tommy45 over 6 years ago
Too right,& i never will be,too many horror stories for me to take the chance, and my line stays with bt, & i'm happy with freeview tv,and don't have any need for a mobile phone, and if i did i would never have all services with 1 company
Posted by ccxo over 6 years ago
The LLU expansion to reach 93% of the population is interesting, hopefully alot more choice to people on just standard asdl service.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
TT do wholesale, Xilo is one provider I know of that resells it, have to look on their forum for details though.

Means you can escape the TT horror but still get LLU if they are the only provider in the area other than BTW.
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
The service itself seems very good. Even their IPStream based version. The problem with Talk Talk is their customer service. They mucked my Dad about so badly he left for BT. Despite having had a couple of runs in with them he still thinks they are better than TT.

In his words:'At least with BT you get to speak with someone and the problem is fixed. With TT it's a struggle to get to speak with someone and when you do they faff around and/or deny there's a problem'.
Posted by zyborg47 over 6 years ago
@tommy45, I lernt my lesson about having everything by one supplier, I said before that I would not do it and I did, Mobile, home phone and broadband, never again.
I would not use full LLU, who every supplied it.
Posted by GMAN99 over 6 years ago
'With TT it's a struggle to get to speak with someone and when you do they faff around and/or deny there's a problem'. Sounds like the current problem their users are having with Xbox Live disconnecting every 30mins ;)
Posted by baby_frogmella over 6 years ago
"I would not use full LLU, who every supplied it"

What exactly is wrong with using a full LLU service? I'm on full TalkTalk LLU (broadband+phone) and a very happy bunny. The problem is that talktalk has so many customers and customers only post on these forums to complain...hence one gets the impression that they are the pits.
Posted by baby_frogmella over 6 years ago
So if talktalk has 10 million customers and 5% are unhappy with their service = 1/2 million people saying talktalk are pants. Now if a small isp has 100 customers and 5% are unhappy= 5 unhappy people. Now which ISP will make the headlines? It certainly isn't the latter.
Posted by baby_frogmella over 6 years ago
As for talktalk's poor phone-based support...well what do folks expect for £6.99pm broadband? AAISP's level of service? £6.99pm would barely buy you 1gb of traffic with AAISP LOL
Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
For £7pcm I expect crap customer service. Pretty much what my Dad experienced in fact. The move to BT is costing him slightly less because he avoids paying the 'IPStream premium' which TT levied when his exchange became full two weeks after it was unbundled. TT hadn't even notified him it was being LLUd.

That's why I pay nearly £19pcm to Be. I'd pay more if it was necessary.
Posted by zyborg47 over 6 years ago
@baby_frogmella, Full LLU is a pain in the neck to leave and the only way you can leave is to go back to BT and it could cost. I am on LLU, but not full, I prefer it that way. So even if TT was the best ISp in the country I would still not use them. As i said, I will not put all my eggs in one basket again.
Posted by ccxo over 6 years ago
If TT is aiming to reach 93% of the population with their llu service, what is there planned role out timetable as alot of areas would benefit from a llu service.
Posted by huwwatkins over 6 years ago
I hope my exchange is one of thise 700! Even thought it has almost 8000 lines no one seems interest. TT might be my only hope of getting adsl2+!
Posted by Paul-B over 6 years ago
TalkTalk unbundled my exchange just over 2 years ago. I moved to them from Zen, my speed increased from Zen's 3 to 4 mbps to a rock-solid 10 to 12 mbps and has stayed there for the whole time. Totally reliable, no cap and less than half the cost of BT line + Zen broadband. I bet most of the anti TalkTalk moaners haven't ever used them.
The only complaint is their customer service, which I am told is the pits - I don't know, never had to use it!
Posted by dragon1945 over 6 years ago
Why do I stay with TT? BT only guarantee 512 Kbps, whereas TT gave me 1.6 MB at first. For a week I actually got 2.1 MB. Heady days ! A fortnight ago it dropped to 335Kbps for several hours. Now it's 1.84 MB.I'd like the 2.1 MB back pretty please. It can be done, so why isn't it?
The Techie phone support is a joke.
Posted by Royf over 6 years ago
TT may not have the greatest phone support but surely better than virgin, but go to the TT online help and they seem to be able to sort out almost any problems you may have. I have been with them for several years now after using Virgin . Virgin averaged between 500k and 2 meg on a good day but now I have a stable 18meg day and night. Certainly no complaints about TT from me.
Posted by g3rft over 6 years ago
So far I am another usually silent and satisfied TT customer.I have ben with them for about 3 years and had 2 problems which were fixed.It does take about 3/4 hr talking to an Indian Support desk and they do go through a script but my brother in law says that it is just the same with BT.

Posted by g3rft over 6 years ago
Indian support centres dealing with what can be tricky technical problems, especially if many of their customers are silver surfers only makes sense to accountants bu TT are not the only culprits.In my experience I can't see why TT are so badly thought of and six of my friends would agree.
Posted by g3rft over 6 years ago
4mb/s 99.5% of the time I check can't be bad for what I pay. I think it very unlikely that i will ever need 1ooMb/s