BT have released Q3 results for period ending December 2010
Thursday 03 February 2011 12:18:00 by John Hunt

The third quarter financial results for BT have been released today which see profit ahead of the equivalent time last year, although revenue is down by 3% to £5,038 million.

“Profits and cash flow in the quarter were ahead of last year. BT Retail had a good quarter with growth in business revenues and our highest share of DSL broadband net additions for eight years. Openreach benefited from a stronger broadband market and growth in its copper line base. BT Global Services is now expected to be cash flow positive this year, a year earlier than targeted."

Ian Livingston, (Chief Executive) BT

BT Retail saw revenue decrease by 3%, an improvement on the 4% decline last quarter, and the company had 188,000 net additions to broadband users, pushing the market share of DSL and LLU net additions to 53%, the highest for 8 years. Total broadband users therefore stood at 5.53 million. BT Vision also saw good take up, with over 40,000 opting for the TV offering, the highest in seven quarters. This places the total number of users option for BT vision at around 560,000. The average revenue per user increased by £5 over last quarter standing at £322, and BT put this down to an increased penetration of broadband services.

Posted by mabibby over 6 years ago

The reason for £5 more revenue per head is due to the hike in line rental disguised as a call package.

Everyone now has to pay £13.99.
Posted by zyborg47 over 6 years ago
Not everyone, I pay £11.75, but then I am not with BT. I get evening and weekend calls for that.

Posted by AndrueC over 6 years ago
Not everyone. I'm paying £120 for twelve months line rental. I'm also paying £45 for free any time calls and several hundred minutes of text (surprisingly useful once you realise your phone supports it) over the next 12 months.

That works out at £13.75 a month which is still less than you quote for line rental.

Of course both mean I'm tied into BT for a year but since I need a BT line for my Be connection and since my voice service has never let me down I'm happy.
Posted by cyberdoyle over 6 years ago
gosh, they made enough to pay Ian twice what they paid him last year, £2.5 million all together wasn't it?
Posted by russianmonkey over 6 years ago
Actually, everyone pays £13.60 line rental, not £13.99.

And don't reply with "oh it's only 39p..." it still makes a difference.
Posted by SheepFarmer over 6 years ago
@zyborg47 in this instance you're not paying £11.75, you're not paying BT anything!
Posted by themanstan over 6 years ago
Remember all companies now quote EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation). The final figure will be a lot smaller...
Posted by chrysalis over 6 years ago
am soon to cancel BT, VM are starting to sort themselves out in my area and are actually investing in my service. Since I started using adsl at this address 4 or so years back, there has been only detoriation on the line with no signs of investment in the local loop in sight. Copper for the next decade here from BT probably in a major city.
Posted by poppasmurf over 6 years ago
When I moved in December, I went from Virgin National to BT Broadband because BT offered me Broadband at £4.99 per month on an 18 month contract. I have to say that their Broadband is much more reliable and stable than Virgin National, ie it works all the time, not when Richard Branson could be bothered.
Posted by Teefenn1 over 6 years ago
To AndrueC: "Of course both mean I'm tied into BT for a year but since I need a BT line for my Be connection and since my voice service has never let me down I'm happy"
That is simply not true. I too am with Be but switched my line rental & calls to last year - £9.25 pm with free evening/weekend calls. It doesn't affect your broadband because the physical telephone line is unchanged. You just don't pay a penny to the lying dishonest scumbag organisation called BT.