Existing T-Mobile customers to keep current usage limits
Wednesday 12 January 2011 17:25:52 by John Hunt

Following a backlash from angry customers annoyed that their mobile usage limits were to be cut by in some cases 83%, T-Mobile have backed down to save face, and no doubt, a haemorrhaging of customers. The company had announced changes to their Fair Usage Policy which would have see data limited to 500MB a month for all mobile phone customers. Existing Android customers had in some cases a 3GB limit, a significant difference. A statement posted to the T-Mobile website read as follows:

"On Monday 10th January 2011 we announced that, in line with the rest of the industry, T-Mobile would be reducing its Fair Use Policy for data usage to 500MB a month for all mobile phone customers. Following a further review of our policy, these changes will now be introduced from 1st February, to new and upgrading customers only - not existing customers.

There will be no change to the data packages for existing customers for the duration of their contract and we apologise for any confusion caused. The revision to the Fair Use Policy is designed to ensure an improved quality of service for all mobile internet users"

Lysa Hardy, (VP) T-Mobile UK

This is great news for existing customers who were worried that they wouldn't be able to continue using their phone in the same way there were accustomed to.

Posted by b4dger over 6 years ago
"for the duration of their contract"!
Posted by shaunhw over 6 years ago
Good. I've been having some irate discussion with people in customer services today.

I've contacted both Ofcom and CISAS about this. I only got the 'phone a few weeks ago.

They should change their online FUP though because they still say Android phones get 3GB FUP on the site. Or that was the position about an hour ago.
Posted by john (Favicon staff member) over 6 years ago
You may still get 3GB if you buy it before 1st February
Posted by otester over 6 years ago
So instead of all data users leaving at once, we are going to see a drop of data customers over time and a lack of take up in the future.
Posted by adslmax over 6 years ago
And just be sensible with 3gb data, don't abuse their network by downloading large video's (save that for your wi-fi wireless home broadband" We want to kept 3Gb for longterm.
Posted by ElBobbo over 6 years ago
How utterly ridiculous of you, adslmax. If you've paid for 3GB, use it however you bloody like.
Posted by HHGTTG over 6 years ago
It is the selfishnes of the majority that causes problems such as have been outlined hear.
Posted by HHGTTG over 6 years ago
I of course meant "outlined here"!!!
Posted by mbailey over 6 years ago
Power to the People!
Posted by ajays over 6 years ago
Do T-Mobile offer a way of viewing data usage? My contact is up next month but I dont have a clue how much data I use each month.

How does a 500MB FUP compare to other suppliers?
Posted by pobrown over 6 years ago
What exactly are people using their phones for to need 3GB per month? I check my email and various social network sites daily on my phone and sometimes what Sky News headlines. I don't really care how much people use, that's their business, but I do wonder how that much data can be consumed!
Posted by shaunhw over 6 years ago
It's not 3GB that's the issue, it's 500mbyte that is too little for some people. In any case if they promised it, they should deliver. You can't tell me they *suddenely* realised they had to cut down this data use by 1/6th ?

They probably knew some time ago, before I bought my phone which was just before Christmas. Ift that was the case, why did they keep selling as 3GB ? Why does it STILL mention 3GB for Android phones ?
Posted by ElBobbo over 6 years ago
HHGTTG: Explain how the "selfishnes of the majority" has anything to do with the situation in the article.
Posted by otester over 6 years ago

You may like getting shafted but I don't.
Posted by HHGTTG over 6 years ago
Neither do I like getting shafted, as you say.
I have a newish Vodafone Mobile Broadband dongle on PAYG. In December the £15/30days gave you 3GB of data usage however in January they announced that, for the same price we'll now only get 2GB. They worked out that 90% of customers only ever used < 2GB and so the rest of us therefore don't need 3GB. I have the choice of staying with them or moving elsewhere, don't I?

Posted by madkingsoup over 6 years ago
I tweeted T-Mobile support on the 11th to ask if they were going to write to customers about this change in terms (!/georgie_guy/status/24773875166347264)

I never got any response, so this is good news at last.
Posted by steve1402 over 6 years ago
And what do they mean by 'upgrading' customers. Does this mean that if I upgrade my phone after the 18 tie in month period I will get a reduced FUP, or does it mean that if I alter my contract in some way?